Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 1:32 pm

From what I know, and I maybe wrong, there doesn't seem to be much classic autistics on here. Most of us seem to be the aspergers type.

I mean the ones who can't speak or can barely speak. But I've seen on videos classic autistics communicating on computers so I don't see why there won't be any here on WP.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 1:34 pm

Just by reading my posts, which type do I seem to be?

WhittenKitten
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Feb 2010, 1:36 pm

I'm a classic autistic yupyupyup, but I don't post all that often because it seems my views are a bit skewed for the likings of some of the members here. I do read often though, sometimes I don't know really what to say so i don't reply much unless i'm interested in the topic. :)

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 1:46 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:

I don't think reading your posts is an accurate diagnosis. Some classic autistics can read and type really well. Have you heard of Carly Fleischmann? She's Canadian (I heard from superboyian that you're from Canada too) and she can't speak but she types really well and I heard she's writing a novel.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 1:50 pm

jc6chan wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

I don't think reading your posts is an accurate diagnosis. Some classic autistics can read and type really well. Have you heard of Carly Fleischmann? She's Canadian (I heard from superboyian that you're from Canada too) and she can't speak but she types really well and I heard she's writing a novel.

I'll have to check her books out. 8)

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 2:03 pm

There was one who stopped posting much after she had some problems with some kind of harassment a few months back.. which particularly stinks because she was one of the most well-liked members here.

How exactly are you defining classic autism, though? Officially, I think the only current distinction is major developmental delays (particularly speech.) By the time you meet somebody on a forum, it's not going to be very obvious whether or not they started talking at a normal age. The next version of the DSM isn't expected to make a distinction between Asperger's and Kanner's autism, only levels of functioning. By "classic" do you mean stereotypical?

WhittenKitten
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Feb 2010, 2:08 pm

Maggiedoll wrote:
There was one who stopped posting much after she had some problems with some kind of harassment a few months back.. which particularly stinks because she was one of the most well-liked members here.

How exactly are you defining classic autism, though? Officially, I think the only current distinction is major developmental delays (particularly speech.) By the time you meet somebody on a forum, it's not going to be very obvious whether or not they started talking at a normal age. The next version of the DSM isn't expected to make a distinction between Asperger's and Kanner's autism, only levels of functioning. By "classic" do you mean stereotypical?

Erm, as far as i know besides the fact that you have to have speech delay and more of a developmental delay you have to have more qualifications to be diagnosed with Autistic Disorder/Classic Autism, there has to be criteria that I believe is 6, while.. Asperger's has less? I think that is what i have read, however I do not understand the diagnostic criteria.. I just know or have heard you don't have to have as many "criteria's" or "symptoms" if you have AS compared to Classic Autism. *shrug*

don't take my word for it. i'm not educated in this area.. it's hard for me to grasp.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 2:25 pm

Most with Kanner's develop functional speech by the time they're adults (the nonverbal rate is only like 17% or so). The social impairments manifest a little differently than those with AS. Kanner's appear more socially and emotionally indifferent/aloof (in their own world), whereas those with AS tend to interact with others, but they lack the appropriate give and take of it (in addition to all of the nonverbal cues cluster). Repetitive behaviours are similar, but there's more of them in Kanner's, plus the sensory problems and resistance to change are far more marked in Kanner's.

(Most likely in the future, instead of Kanner's, Asperger's, and PDD-NOS, it'll just be severe, moderate and less severe, so nothing will change, other than the labels.)

I have Kanner's, and you wouldn't know it going by this here. I interact with barely anyone in person, and it doesn't bother me that I don't (I can't anyway, but it's good that I don't have the desire).

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 2:38 pm

Maggiedoll wrote:
Is it Age1600? If so, then that's upsetting, because I thoroughly enjoyed reading her posts. Reading her posts helped me gain lots of insight into the autistic experience. I hope she comes back...

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 3:50 pm

MathGirl wrote:
Maggiedoll wrote:
Is it Age1600? If so, then that's upsetting, because I thoroughly enjoyed reading her posts. Reading her posts helped me gain lots of insight into the autistic experience. I hope she comes back...

I miss reading her posts, and I'd really like to see her back. I was harassed on WP, before. That's why I didn't post much in 2008/2009.

mightyzebra
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 4:24 pm

jc6chan wrote:
From what I know, and I maybe wrong, there doesn't seem to be much classic autistics on here. Most of us seem to be the aspergers type.

I mean the ones who can't speak or can barely speak. But I've seen on videos classic autistics communicating on computers so I don't see why there won't be any here on WP.

Well, I wouldn't have been able to go on Wrongplanet at all, because the doctor told my mum (when I was diagnosed with low functioning autism at the age of 2) that I would never be able to: speak, read, write or communicate in any way. My mum did the programme ABA on me (Applied Behaviour Analysis) and it worked well enough that I was able to do all the things the doctor said I wouldn't do, as well as other things (like doing GCSE's)! :D :D So, yes, when I was first diagnosed I was a classic autistic, I am not sure if I have High Functioning Autism or Asperger's now, but I am definitely no longer low functioning! :)

P.S People say that ABA is horrible and does not work, but it CAN work. All it needs is the right teacher at the right time (preferably start teaching a child before the age of 4 or something like that).

"The natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living." David Attenborough

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 4:31 pm

I had Early Infantile Autism and am of the Kanner variety and also consider myself low-functioning but no one would likely know that from my postings. A friend sends me food through the mail. I survive.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 7:00 pm

I don't, but my brother does. He's on the very extreme end of LFA. No speech at 16, has to be dressed and bathed by my mom, and only just managed to toilet train himself, and still fails sometimes.

His psychologist said he was the most severe case she had ever seen. I sometimes morbidly joke that "I got a mild dose of ASD, my brother fell right in the radioactive waste."

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 9:33 pm

I have classic autism, but I can speak and function well.

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 9:35 pm

roygerdodger wrote:
Cool story bro.

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2010, 9:43 pm

ursaminor wrote:
roygerdodger wrote:
Cool story bro.

:lol:

But seriously, I really do have classic autism.