Anyone the only aspie in their family?

Page 3 of 7 [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

valkyrieraven88
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Feb 2010, 7:53 pm

I think my father might have it but he would never admit it. I have a cousin who has classic autism but I haven't seen him since he was seven.

Villette
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Feb 2010, 11:12 am

not very sure. my late great-uncle had a few aspie-like traits but people genuinely liked him as he was a good, honest man. He frowned a lot and was intelligent. In any case my Apie-ness is the severest in the family, assuming that any of them have it.

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2010, 1:53 pm

I'm the only one diagnosed with Asperger's.

Mom's side of the family:
My mom is probably in the broad autistic phenotype. One of my aunts is probably on the spectrum (her problems were previously blamed on a possible high fever during infancy). My uncles are all a bit "aspieish". One of my cousins has two children with classic autism.

Dad's side of the family:
My dad probably has undiagnosed ADHD. I don't anyone from his side of the family much at all.

skywatcher
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Feb 2010, 1:57 pm

On my Mom's side of the family I'm the only one diagnosed with AS.

On my Dad's side of the family I have a sister diagnosed with AS and a cousin with classical autism.

However, I was raised almost exclusively by my Mom and her side of the family, so I can relate to the feeling of not having family with AS as well.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2010, 2:30 pm

I am the only one diagnosed, but I suspect some of the male relatives on my dad's side (including my dad) may be on the spectrum.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ShadowWulf
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Feb 2010, 5:30 pm

Yes I am the only one with AS in my family.... as such my sister is unwilling to understand me. As a result she is constantly getting upset about small petty issues she has no concept of feelings getting hurt especially when she gets into a lupus flare.. there was one occasion that she got into a fight with me about health issues that resulted in me ending up crying about it.... thankfully my mom is more understanding of the challenges brought on with having aspergers syndrome

KJC

23 Feb 2010, 12:30 am

Well I'm the only one diagnosed. but my father had many postgrad degrees (but a social life), My brother went to a prestigious hs and then Georgetown, but also seems pretty social. My maternal grandfather would read the dictionary in his freetime but I'm not too sure about his social life. and I have a female cousin who's artistic and enjoys anime cosplay. Does any of this sound AS?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2010, 12:33 am

KJC wrote:
Well I'm the only one diagnosed. but my father had many postgrad degrees (but a social life), My brother went to a prestigious hs and then Georgetown, but also seems pretty social. My maternal grandfather would read the dictionary in his freetime but I'm not too sure about his social life. and I have a female cousin who's artistic and enjoys anime cosplay. Does any of this sound AS?

No.

KJC

23 Feb 2010, 12:38 am

Guess I am the only one then. 'Explains why it seems nobudy in my family seems to understand the social situations I'm in.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2010, 2:31 am

I think I am. My cousin is also strange but not like me. We have good genes. Our Grandma was ultra-NT. 101% of norm - I can't do it, what would people say? :lol:

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2010, 3:32 am

I'm the only one who was officially diagnosed with Asperger's, but it's possible that other family members might have some traits.

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2010, 7:17 am

I am one of a family of eight and I am the only one formally diagnosed but one of two others may just have some traits such as stimming with hand biting but not full blown.

Maika
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Feb 2010, 1:41 pm

I have one cousin in the Philippines that is autistic (on mother's side), but he doesn't have Aspergers. Other than that none of my family has autisim or any learning disabilities that I know of. I grew up with cousins from my dad's side of the family and since we're pretty close in age we always did things as a group. When we were younger I didn't really notice much of a difference between us except that I talked a lot less than they did. It wasn't until high school that I noticed I was different than them. I think my parents and brother have some traits but they're not at the same level as me. I'm actually kinda happy that no one else has it in my family cuz it helped me discover what sets me apart from my family. I've always been the odd man out (I'm not a man but the expression sounds funny if I replace man for woman) and it's only recently that i've discovered why. I haven't had an offical diagnosis yet but when/if I do (just gotta get over some anxiety issues) I'd like to tell them cuz it would help them understand me better. I haven't even even brought up Aspergers with my parents cuz I don't think they'd believe me unless a doctor said I definitely have it. I know my mon's response would be "you just have to try harder" (in regards to being social for example).

Psychopompos
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 1:45 pm

As far as I know, I'm the only Aspie in my family.

Alum dare, dolere, id Hephaestus, id ire / Pro profundis fati / Pro pulchris infernarum profundis / Pro pulchris omni fati brachium / Pulchris profundis infernarum servi fati / Profundis, profundis fati

chelischili7

24 Feb 2010, 3:34 pm

My mother and grandmother certainly has traits, yet I am the only one who has been diagnosed.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 4:30 pm

im unfortunally only one unfortunally not lot of people in grouphome either undrestand me :(