Eye expression test by Simon Baron Cohen

Page 12 of 15 [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 1:54 pm

I got a 22, but really don't think its a very accurate test. I kept thinking that it was things not on the list of options, which meant that I knew it had to be one of those, and just started working off of those. If I purposefully got it wrong when I would have gotten it wrong my score would have been drastically lower, because I wouldn't have been able to logic it out based off of the options for other questions.

alipich
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Dec 2011, 5:40 am

I've got 22, I don,t think that we cannot identify these non verbal signs, it's more listening and observing at the same time who is a problem for me, or talking and observing, I hardly can do both. Because of that, I may miss something while chatting with someone.

franlikeskittens
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Dec 2011, 6:57 am

I got 30. I'm surprised with myself :)

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2011, 5:02 pm

justMax wrote:
She said the lack of the mouth/head angle/posture threw her off, and the fact that he tilted the women eyes towards "desire" because he desired them surely lowered her score as well.

I think the "desire" look can be a tease. It's about seduction. I doesn't mean "I want you" so much as "I want you to want me" and us men aren't wired to tell the difference. At least that's how the teasing flirtation games go in the movies and advertisements. In real life it's even less comprehensible.

So in effect, it's possible to get the wrong answer by being too accurate and over-analyzing. It's not so much what the expression might really mean as much as what most people are programmed to think it means.

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 1:53 am

I got 29 on that test, but as many have said earlier on the forum in different threads, it is flawed in so many ways in regards to how well it can be applied to diagnosing an Aspie.

-You get unlimited time.
-You have access to online dictionary while taking it.
-You look at a picture, and there is no one actually looking back at you.
-It's a 25% chance at getting it right if you just guess.

I noticed a big difference between how I took the test, and how my wife took it. I didn't see her taking the test, but I heard the rate at which she clicked the mouse. She saw the eyes, thought for 1-3 seconds, and looked for the emotion she had in mind.

I on the other hand, looked at the eyes, checked to see what alternatives I had, if there were some words I didn't know(english is not my native language) I looked it up online to find the meaning. Then I eliminated those emotions I thought it was most unlikely to be.

So, by using the method of elimination, I got a score of 29. ..but of the few mistakes I did, some were waaay off.

...if only you could pause real life and do some research.

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 2:45 am

cooldryplace
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Feb 2012, 3:00 am

Blownmind wrote:
I got 29 on that test, but as many have said earlier on the forum in different threads, it is flawed in so many ways in regards to how well it can be applied to diagnosing an Aspie.

Diagnosing? No way. But, it still shows an average different of 4.3 points between NTs and Aspies.

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 2:55 pm

My score is18/36.
Does that mean that I am extremely low functioning or what? How are we supposed to interpret the different scores of this test. A score of 26 seems mighty high for someone who is diagnosed with aspergers.

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 3:32 pm

cooldryplace wrote:
it still shows an average different of 4.3 points between NTs and Aspies.

pokerface wrote:
My score is18/36.
Does that mean that I am extremely low functioning or what? How are we supposed to interpret the different scores of this test. A score of 26 seems mighty high for someone who is diagnosed with aspergers.

If the a normal score is between 22 and 30, and the average difference between NTs and Aspies are 4.3 points, the "aspie score" is normally between 17.7 and 25.7, so I would say, according to those numbers, a score of 18 and 26 is normal for an Aspie.

But in general, I would say this test would make more sense if you had 36 emotions you had to match with 36 pair of eyes, that would eliminate the 25% random chance of getting each question right. If you get every forth question right(25%), you still get 9 points on this test. That means that if you click randomly, you will get an average of 9 points. A difference between NTs and Aspies of 4.3 is neglectable, in my opinion. If you are able to eliminate 2 emotions on every question, and have to guess when there are two alternatives left, you would end up with a score of 18 points.

I'm no math genius, I'm just thinking out loud here, but to me it seems like there is a high chance of getting a score within the norm(22-30).

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 3:35 pm

Half of the time I didn´t have an f.......g clue what the expression in those eyes meant and so what !

:evil:

Last edited by pokerface on 22 Feb 2012, 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ddddd
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2012, 4:06 pm

I got a 28/36 (78% - not bad!) but indeed, we got a lot of time and could look up the words in the dictionary, some words just mean identically the same to me (even the dutch translations?) like upset/terrified joking/amused irritated/hostile alarmed/anxious impatient/irritated bewilderd/alarmed/cautious aghast/terrified ashamed/nervous-nervous/suspicious. But that's probably because of the bad translation sites. :p

kojot
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Mar 2012, 11:21 am

slave
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2012, 7:07 pm

I only felt sure about 3 or 4 of them. Most of them.........clueless.

Last edited by slave on 13 Mar 2012, 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2012, 7:13 pm

I got 28. Some of them were obvious to me and I got them right away...some of the others were less clear.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 12:00 am

Your score: 24.

Antreus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Mar 2012, 1:22 am

I have a hard time taking this seriously namely:

I rarely look at people's eyes. I can't make sense of these pictures without a mouth. I don't even know what to answer and found myself randomly clicking the answer through logic if I couldn't surmise the appropriate identifier.

There's no colour either. Half of them look the same to me and I managed to get 18.