Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 6:28 pm

And if they were, when they were kids? If they had issues with speech and social interaction, and stims, and special interests?

Because there are cases like that. A significant minority, in fact; something like 10% or thereabouts will lose their diagnosis, usually before the age of 8.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 6:28 pm

Callista wrote:
Someone who needs no outside help, no technological assistance, no special strategies, and no extra effort to do the same things that are expected of the average NT.

And a person who can't do many things that a NT can, but can do many things that most NT can't ?

Is impaired, not impaired ?

Leekduck
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 6:31 pm

Callista wrote:
And if they were, when they were kids? If they had issues with speech and social interaction, and stims, and special interests?

Because there are cases like that. A significant minority, in fact; something like 10% or thereabouts will lose their diagnosis, usually before the age of 8.

yeah thats cos many kids are slow developers, especialy emotionally, and many kids are being mis-diagnosed with Autism at early ages such as 2

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 6:51 pm

I think that Asperger's is here to stay.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 6:57 pm

The premise is not cogent. To state others "believe in" or "not belive in" or "feel....X" makes no sense in terms of a known fact, condition, state-of-being, etc. etc. etc.

That's like saying, for example, "I don't believe in Toyotos." 'K, regardless, Toyotas do exist.

Remember any given "opinion" is not to be confused with what is factual, known, and exists.

In any case, does make one wonder why the Original Post exists even.....hmm.

fuzzbot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jul 2010, 7:26 pm

it's cause half the people here don't actually have it and when they realise it, they say so!! !

most people that are self-dioagnosed likely have other issues and not AS, they probably are just figuring this out. and good for them!!

Countess
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jul 2010, 7:42 pm

Callista wrote:
What about the people who can't be diagnosed anymore because they're not impaired? There are plenty of those.

I'm going to share. My journey started with my son. When he was 1 year old it was suggested to me that he was speech delayed so I requested an evaluation through early intervention. He was qualified for services and we ultimately were offered the chance to send him to one of maybe two ABA therapy schools in the state. After four months a lot of worry and plenty of tears my husband and I removed him from the school. They were not helping him, he was becoming angry and withdrawn. The were not listening either and treated us like a couple of yahoos that knew nothing about autism. I was just in the process of realizing that it was what was "wrong" with me for years. I digress though -

When you take certain standardized tests such as the SAT, there are prep courses you can take. The sole purpose of the course is to train you to take the test and pass it. You learn a lot of vocabulary and tricks for what to work on and what not to. It doesn't make you smarter and it's useless unless you're taking the SAT. That was essentially what this school did. They used discreet trials to train the children how to preform the skills that are tested (and I can't recall the name of that test for the life of me). They weren't teaching him life skills or coping. They were just teaching him to not look autistic for a test.

You can also learn to look less like you're impacted - no one has ever suggested to me that I was autistic outside of another aspie, and we understood each other on a very different level. People generally think that I am eccentric and hyper-sensitive. My bosses were shocked at how much clients liked me - I had years of customer service training and extensive experience working with irate people. I also learned a sense of humor in the last seven years or so. But those meetings drain the life out of me because I have to pay such close attention to everything from when there is appropriate pause the signals I can speak without interrupting to maintaining a friendly yet even tone of voice. This will always be my life. It gets a little easier as I get older, but it's never effortless and it never will be.

As far as it going away? I think not. I'm more inclined to believe that this is where everyone ultimately is headed. We're turning into a more technical society. People like to text more than talk. There isn't context expression or emphasis in a typed message that is conveyed with a voice. The most difficult part of having autism at this point is dealing with the abundance of ignorance being propagated by well meaning people.

Yes, I talk WAYYY too much. Sorry!

CTBill
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 7:53 pm

LabPet wrote:
In any case, does make one wonder why the Original Post exists even.....hmm.

And the original poster, for that matter.

Has Autism Stinks decided to launch a sockpuppet crusade against us?

The "joined" dates of some of these recent antis makes one wonder--The Face (or Ass, possibly?) of Boo claims to have identified a "growing trend" in little more than 5 weeks' membership.

It would be laughable were it not damnable.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 7:57 pm

hutchscott wrote:
I'm insulted that you have started this thread. Didn't I see you post the other day that you yourself no longer feel you have Asperger's...and in fact you changed your profile diagnosis to "neurotypical"?

Wasn't that Spassergasm who made that thread?

Corp900
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jul 2010, 8:13 pm

Willard wrote:
Peko wrote:
I personally feel aspergers/autism is lifelong period. Otherwise you never actually had it or have gone into a state of denial.

Yup, I concur. Anyone who 'outgrows' their Autism was grossly misdiagnosed in the first place, or simply has no idea how others perceive them.

The third possibility being that one was no more than a Troll to begin with. :roll:

Looks as if "Willard" here is losing faith in Autism, accusing other people of not being AS, Troll much Willard I see.

fuzzbot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jul 2010, 8:14 pm

haha some of you guys are coming across as cult leaders in fear of losing membership!! !! it's a disability not a club!! ! how sickening. if someone feels they don't have it, leave them alone!! !

Countess
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jul 2010, 8:28 pm

Corp900 wrote:
Willard wrote:
Peko wrote:
I personally feel aspergers/autism is lifelong period. Otherwise you never actually had it or have gone into a state of denial.

Yup, I concur. Anyone who 'outgrows' their Autism was grossly misdiagnosed in the first place, or simply has no idea how others perceive them.

The third possibility being that one was no more than a Troll to begin with. :roll:

Looks as if "Willard" here is losing faith in Autism, accusing other people of not being AS, Troll much Willard I see.

Aren't you the fellow that was spamming the board with threads about "cures" and "danger" and such? Really now...

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 9:02 pm

TPE2 wrote:
Callista wrote:
Someone who needs no outside help, no technological assistance, no special strategies, and no extra effort to do the same things that are expected of the average NT.

And a person who can't do many things that a NT can, but can do many things that most NT can't ?

Is impaired, not impaired ?
Impaired. That's buying into the fallacy that disabled means impaired in every area. It doesn't. For example, do you say a paraplegic isn't disabled because he has very strong arms?

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 9:17 pm

Countess wrote:
Corp900 wrote:
Willard wrote:
Peko wrote:

Aren't you the fellow that was spamming the board with threads about "cures" and "danger" and such? Really now...

Countess 1, Corp900 0

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 10:04 pm

Countess wrote:
Corp900 wrote:
Willard wrote:
Peko wrote:

*sighs* This is why I'm not as inclined to come to this forum anymore. I agree with Willard 100%. Autism is caused by sensory issues, which do not go away. Social difficulties are mostly a cause of sensory processing difficulties. The narrow interests also don't go away. If someone had problems understanding nonverbals and implied meanings as a child, if they were able to socially integrate without either reading up on this subject or getting instruction on it, they are not fully autistic IMO. Even though the core impairments of autism may seem separate from each other, if you examine them more closely, they are all interconnected and they all contribute to all areas of an individual's life, either in a positive or a negative way.

Autism is real. Asperger's is real, if diagnosed properly, and it's not a personality type in any way. Enough said.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Furantic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jul 2010, 10:12 pm

I do believe AS is a disorder so to speak, BUT, I think the views on it are not dimishing, but rather people around us are learning we can be just as productive as the rest of society.