Have you been diagnosed?
yes 59%  59%  [ 13 ]
no 41%  41%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 22

Steffy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Jul 2010, 8:39 pm

I went to my new psychologist today and just by telling him about the things that stress me out, he diagnosed me with high functioning aspergers. I didn't even suggest it to him, even though i was planning on doing so. He says that I am textbook and that all my other problems that i have (anxiety disorder, depression, ocd-ish ness) are based on my aspergers. I am so excited to finally have a diagnosis. I know that having it won't really change things, but it will help me and my doctor work through some of my problems.

Last edited by Steffy on 28 Jul 2010, 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 8:54 pm

congrats! it took years before mom could get me properly diagnosed with PDD-NOS variant of autism. there wasn't much know about higher functioning forms of autism at the time when I was three so they never looked into autism despite my speech delay. I was mis diagnosed with ADHD when I was 5 then re ex-amend and diagnosed with Aspergers at 15 that lasted for a year before I was diagnosed with NVLD. Then recently I looked into it and got really frustrated because NVLD didn't seem to fit right so we got a last opinion. I went to see another nueropsych examiner who was VERY good and she got a complete history and all my old records. then she made the PDD-NOS diagnosis based off of the fact that I was definatly autistic but to verbal for classic? but the speech delay disqualified AS so she said I am perfectly in between classic autism and AS, She ruled out NVLD or ADHD.

Assembly
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jul 2010, 9:03 pm

uhm what is high functioning aspergers? :roll:

Steffy

28 Jul 2010, 9:10 pm

as far as i know, high functioning aspergers is when a person has relatively high cognitive abilities, but is lacking in social skills. according to my doctor, there is high functioning aspergers and low functioning aspergers. low functioning is almost autism, but with higher cognitive abilities. otherwise, i don't know.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 10:36 pm

Congratulations! :D

fuzzbot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jul 2010, 1:14 am

high functioning aspergers. :roll: :roll: :roll:

otherwise known as, weird NT who can't their s**t together.

(hey everyone here treats me like i'm a fake alias and a troll anyways, may as well say what i think yeah??)

unifex
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jul 2010, 11:27 am

as someone who has many varied Asperger friends as well as, individually, many of the social, single-minded qualities of Aspergers.. I do believe there are scales (probably wouldn't call it 'high functioning' per-se).

Fuzzbot, s2..

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 12:09 pm

I was diagnosed when I was 28, and it was a relief as it took me most of my life to get the official diagnosis. I was too high functioning as a child for an autism diagnosis, and Asperger's wasn't known about until I was in my 20's.

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 12:10 pm

Yup.