Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 1:47 pm

I read up a lot that to AS people "Small things are big things" what type of small things are they implying? Can each individual with AS have thier own set of small wories which impairs them to function at a high leve like NTs?

Its hard as well becuase NTs cannot relate to us because the small things we obssess they don't really give a second or don't make as much of a big deal about as they do.........

this is probably why AS can be considered a disorder

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 2:25 pm

Yes. People are constantly telling me that I am obsessing over small or nonexistent (to them) things (that is to say, flaws I perceive in my physical self). This impairs my life to an extreme degree.

It's just that to me, everything, even the "smallest" detail, is of supreme importance. When I think of it, it becomes my world, and if it's not a thing I perceive as good, then my day (or week, or month, or however long I am unable to stop thinking about that thing) is ruined.

This is a problem and I need it to stop.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 2:28 pm

Same here as well its destroying my quality of life.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 2:30 pm

sometimes i find i get upset over say not being able to find my shoes, but don't get upset over a big issue.
i can deal with big things easier than little ones.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 2:34 pm

I have an issue in this area because I don't know what is a small thing. To me everything is big and I get told it's not a big deal, it's a small issue that can easily be fixed. My dad used to tell me it wasn't a big deal and it can be fixed and it's just a mistake. But to me everything is always big.

To me a small thing is something is well a small thing, duh. If I spill water on the floor, not biggie, I just use a towel to clean it up, now that is small. Because it's something that can be fixed right away and done with and doesn't take very long to clean it up. Now if I spilled a whole gallon of milk, now that is a big thing.

I am thinking something small means something that isn't a big deal to another person so if something is a big deal to us, it's something small for them. So in that case, everyone gets upset over something small because things people get upset about I wouldn't get upset about so therefore they get upset over something small also. I think they are being over dramatic or a drama queen, same thing.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 2:47 pm

Small things worry me more then big things I get more upset over my room being messy then getting mad over some one making fun of me I hate when im talking to some one and they didnt hear what I said the first time that really makes me angry

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 2:55 pm

I think it comes down to hyper-sensitivity and hyper-awareness. To me, the "small things" that bother me are, for example, some comment I made that I think was incorrect or possibly mildly rude. I will obsess and fret over it and it won't leave me alone. It usually has to do with feeling like I have made some small mistake that seems insurmountable to me.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 2:59 pm

Jamesy, I wish I could do something to convince you that the thing you are worrying about (if it is what you have discussed in other threads) is 100%, absolutely, positively, without a doubt not worth worrying about AT ALL. And I wish someone could do the same for me in a way that I could believe them.

Mar1976
Raven
Raven

21 Mar 2011, 3:29 pm

Small things have driven me bonkers in the past! I've worried about things I've said, things I haven't said, things I haven't done or done, even ridiculous things like if I failed to hold the door for someone even though I didn't see them at the time. I could go on! Too much analysing.

I think, at least for myself, in certain situations it's about not being able to deal with any changes that disrupt my 'norm' and not having the ability to multitask;
for example if something goes wrong with my car, I flip; and can't seem to 'see' that I can get it fixed without my whole world crumbling and coming to a stop; I don't understand that when I explain to someone else what's happened, they just shrug; but it's a massive deal to me, plus I don't have anyone around at the moment that I can rely on to help me out if things go pear shaped.

I panic about people's birthday's coming up; it's a whole big 'event', getting the card, looking for the present and I can't relax (a bit!) until I've done it.
If I have something else that needs doing in the same week I have to let that thing go, because I can't seem to cope with more than one task a week; it's a bloomin' miracle I'm employed!

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 3:32 pm

Most NTs worry about thier bank account or how there local soccer team is going to do.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 3:37 pm

That's true. NTs worry about social networks (banking systems, sports teams) because they seem to place all their faith in them. Aspies operate more on reason than on faith it seems and so don't expect social networks to run along smoothly and infallibly and therefore don't get upset if they don't work out. But when clear-cut practical matters don't work out, this spells doom for an Aspie. It shouldn't but it does.

Nathalie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Mar 2011, 3:50 pm

I can also get really upset about small things... it's horrible because no one seems to understand it, they just tell me to stop complaining and move on, nothing's wrong according to them.

I recall one sunday, my bike had a flat tire. I spend all day crying about it. When I look back it's really strange, I had nowhere to go that day, it really wasn't a huge problem. But everyone trying to tell me it's no big deal made me feel even worse... it's a nightmare... :cry:

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 5:22 pm

People always tell me I take things too seriously, and that I need not worry about it. I can't think of any examples right now, but that's the way it usually is. I'm thinking that's because I either do not care about it, or I do care, there is never any middle ground.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 5:25 pm

I have a lot of trouble with what seem to others like "small" changes in routine or my environment.

In my case it's because I'm incredibly flooded with sensory information compared to nonautistic people (and to a lot of autistic people, too!) so I need certain aspects of my life to be predictable because otherwise it can plunge me into sensory overload so extreme I sometimes literally vomit from seasickness from the effects of visual overload. So I need my environment and routine to change as little as possible.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 12:04 am

Mar1976 wrote:
Small things have driven me bonkers in the past! I've worried about things I've said, things I haven't said, things I haven't done or done, even ridiculous things like if I failed to hold the door for someone even though I didn't see them at the time. I could go on! Too much analysing.

I think, at least for myself, in certain situations it's about not being able to deal with any changes that disrupt my 'norm' and not having the ability to multitask; for example if something goes wrong with my car, I flip; and can't seem to 'see' that I can get it fixed without my whole world crumbling and coming to a stop; I don't understand that when I explain to someone else what's happened, they just shrug; but it's a massive deal to me, plus I don't have anyone around at the moment that I can rely on to help me out if things go pear shaped.

I panic about people's birthday's coming up; it's a whole big 'event', getting the card, looking for the present and I can't relax (a bit!) until I've done it. If I have something else that needs doing in the same week I have to let that thing go, because I can't seem to cope with more than one task a week; it's a bloomin' miracle I'm employed!

thank you for mentioning this- i'm the same way and so was my late mother.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 1:10 am

Jamesy wrote:
I read up a lot that to AS people "Small things are big things" what type of small things are they implying? Can each individual with AS have thier own set of small wories which impairs them to function at a high leve like NTs?

Its hard as well becuase NTs cannot relate to us because the small things we obssess they don't really give a second or don't make as much of a big deal about as they do.........

this is probably why AS can be considered a disorder

Oh yes, it's true. Small things are big things. I worry about silly things that no one else seems to care about. People say, "if I were you I wouldn't care what anyone thought of me," it's easier said than done.