Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Thedarkpoet
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jan 2012, 2:57 pm

Parents speculated all childhood then finally diagnosed at 17.

Shishka
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Jan 2012, 7:05 pm

Diagnosed at 19. Initially felt a bit upset (I was hoping that my social skills would improve as I matured, but of course I now knew they wouldn't), but once that passed I was, and still am, happy to have my differences explained and to have something unique about me.

colonel1fan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2012, 2:01 am

Was diagnosed at 11/12 (6th grade) but my parents never told me until I was about 14 (8th grade). Maybe they thought I wouldn't understand. Maybe I didn't because I think I just said okay and went on about my business.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 2:04 am

Officially diagnosed at 10; middle of 4th grade.
It was suspected earlier by my parents, but a diagnosis wasn't really needed until I was around 10.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 5:39 am

14. Been suspected of autism in first thru fourth grade, but I then took an iq test and got 144, so everyone assumed I was just gifted. Not much knowledge of Asperger's here.

motthe
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Jan 2012, 9:22 am

13. Didn't really mean anything to me but my parents went into this ultra-denial mode and made life even worse.

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 9:30 am

44 and very relieved… and it felt good. i had been searching for answers and explanations since i was 5 yo.

despite that… my life has more or less been downhill ever since… :?

so it gave a lot of answers… but it didn't change the world around me. it made me only more vulnerable… and got misused against me. :roll:

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 11:21 am

I was 40
It made me feel better knowing I was not crazy or learning disabled.

I am bitter about when I was in school they mistook my autism for ADHD so they put me special education. I was beaten without mercy and made fun for being a "ret*d" by the so called normal students. The special education students hated me too for being a know it all. When the doctor doing my evealuation told me he saw no signs of a learning disability I almost cried. I spent the whole time I was in those classes telling everyone I did not belong in them then to find out I was right made my blood boil. The reason I did not go to college was because I felt I was not educated enough to handle the college level classes. My psychologist said I was pretty much cheated out of a proper education. I would have had a different life I was not put in those classes against my will. My parents had money put aside for me to go to college but I never went because I felt I was not educated enough. I have had a steady stream of low paying grunt jobs where I am insulted and made to feel like a piece for s**t everyday. To get the higher paying factory jobs you have to pass their tests I cannot pass due to the lack of math skills. Why f*****g bother. :x

Last edited by Todesking on 07 Jan 2012, 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PurpleJazz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jan 2012, 5:54 pm

I was only 4 - it really helped getting an early diagnosis, as I was able to get the necessary support as soon as I started school

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 7:05 pm

Diagnosed with tentative AS at 7, was changed to PDD at 10.
Current psychiatrist that I have been seeing for over a year thinks that while I have some traits of ASD, it is not clinically significant, nor enough for a diagnosis. Still, I personally still identify with PDD.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.