Which deodorant? How to stop my stinking?

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

antonblock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2012, 5:33 pm

hi there,

i am mostly hyper-sensitive, but my smelling ist just either non-sensitive, or at least "different". I was bullied in school because of this too, many people complained that I stink, but I just didn't smell it. Nowadays, some coworkers already complained about the same stuff, a while ago, and this week, a good friend of mine told me, I should again use deodorant, although i don't smell that i stink.

Ok, no problem, I would again use a deodorant although i don't smell why its necessary.... BUT:

Its not only that I don't feel my stinking, but employing deodorants feels unpleasant for me. I feel it that there is something wet on my skin, it feels not good. I also tried deo rolls, its the similar, I always feel intensively the stuff which is added there and it feels just awkward. And sometimes I also smell the deodorant, which is awkward too.

Furthermore, I try to avoid as much chemical stuff as necessary, so if there is something which i (should) use on a daily basis, it should be 99% sure that its harmless and no chemical stuff where no one yet knows how it can affect my body.

Can any fellow aspie relate, and maybe also has found some solution to this?

greets

anton

Longshanks
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 6:19 pm

Yeah, deodorant is a good idea. Try Old Spice Red Zone 16 hour - if they sell it there.

Longshanks

Supporter of the Brian Terry Foundation @ www.honorbrianterry.com. Special Agent Brian Terry (1970-2010) was murdered as a direct result of Operation Fast & Furious - which Barry O won't discuss - wonder why?

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 6:19 pm

I use aerosol deodorant but it has aluminum in it which is bad.

antonblock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2012, 6:30 pm

hanyo wrote:
I use aerosol deodorant but it has aluminum in it which is bad.

btw, do you know why aluminium is bad?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 6:31 pm

I take it you bath/shower?

Koan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Feb 2012, 6:33 pm

Old Spice High Endurance solid works wonders for me - the blue stick, not the runny gel or the powdery stuff (And I agree, dry sticks or spray with aluminum aren't good. In fact they give me some wicked irritation). I also have to wash several times sometimes, depending on exercise and especially my diet, sniff test, wash again until I'm sure, then maybe a couple times more just to be sure because we all tend to get used to our own smell and not notice.

But don't overlook other things too like diet and activity!! If I drink just one cup of coffee, I kinda stink no matter what and could probably do with 2 showers a day. It makes all the difference in the world. But if my diet is very clean, even if I forget to shower for a day (or the occasional 2 lol) I still don't stink most of the time. In fact, I've had people tell me I smell amazing on the day after or 2nd day after a shower so it's not the smell of the soap, just from my natural scent and pheremones I guess.

Caffeine, alcohol, smoking, and foods with red meat, garlic, onions, seafood, and spicy things (savory and hot spices) and not drinking enough tend to make you smell and taste worse in every way. Tea, fresh fruits and vegetables, plenty of water, lemonaid, and less savory spices (cinnamon, anything that works with sweet stuff) are known to improve all of this instead.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 6:38 pm

antonblock wrote:
btw, do you know why aluminium is bad?

I read it can cause cancer and Alzheimer.

I prefer aerosol because I don't like having the deodorant touching my skin. It contaminates it. The aerosol dries pretty fast too.

It's not just the aerosol that has aluminum in it. I have a free sample of a stick kind and that has it too.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 6:53 pm

Spray the deodorant over your clothes if you don't like it on your skin...that's how I do it. Although as a woman I use perfumed body moisturiser as well sometimes.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 6:55 pm

bumble wrote:
Spray the deodorant over your clothes if you don't like it on your skin...that's how I do it. Although as a woman I use perfumed body moisturiser as well sometimes.

I don't mind spraying it on my skin. What I don't like are sticks and roll-ons that have to touch your skin to be put on.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 6:55 pm

Oh, and it's worth spending a bit of time to find the best aftershave/EDT/deodorant that works for you as well. Some just don't 'gel' well with some.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 7:05 pm

I have an odor problem, too. I use liquid crystal type deodorants in the roll on form, although I believe they also come in a stick. I prefer to get the unscented. Crystal deodorants don't use aluminum. They are made with minerals that tend to kill the germs that cause BO, and they do seem to help, according to my sister, who also likes them. I have a weird sense of smell. I can smell some things, but not others. I can't smell me, but have been informed frequently over the years about my BO. I also can't smell natural gas, or skunks, and was the only family member who could stand to be near our border/lab cross after two separate skunk encounters. I have a carbon monoxide detector for gas leak protection. I can smell some foods and flowers, and things with menthol in them, including mints.

I recommend staying away from deodorants containing aluminum, and aerosol deodorants. Both cause health problems. It's not good to inhale the spray, so go with a stick, roll-on, gel, or cream. You don't seem to like the roll-ons, so try a stick. I recommend staying away from Old Spice or any spice type scented ones. I temped at a place called Mennen a few times. They make deodorants and some other personal care things. The spice scented products always made me sick. Fortunately, I only worked that line once or twice.

For the record, many people can't smell themselves. However, most people can smell everyone else, so do use a deodorant when leaving the house. I live alone, so I don't bother with it at home, but I always put it on before going any place.

chssmstrjk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2012, 7:10 pm

antonblock wrote:
hi there,

i am mostly hyper-sensitive, but my smelling ist just either non-sensitive, or at least "different". I was bullied in school because of this too, many people complained that I stink, but I just didn't smell it. Nowadays, some coworkers already complained about the same stuff, a while ago, and this week, a good friend of mine told me, I should again use deodorant, although i don't smell that i stink.

Ok, no problem, I would again use a deodorant although i don't smell why its necessary.... BUT:

Its not only that I don't feel my stinking, but employing deodorants feels unpleasant for me. I feel it that there is something wet on my skin, it feels not good. I also tried deo rolls, its the similar, I always feel intensively the stuff which is added there and it feels just awkward. And sometimes I also smell the deodorant, which is awkward too.

Furthermore, I try to avoid as much chemical stuff as necessary, so if there is something which i (should) use on a daily basis, it should be 99% sure that its harmless and no chemical stuff where no one yet knows how it can affect my body.

Can any fellow aspie relate, and maybe also has found some solution to this?

greets

anton

First of all, get in the habit of showering every single morning before heading out to work (if not already done). As for deodorant, I would get and use Axe deodorant (and maybe some Axe spray just in case). That's what I do and it works well for me.

TalusJumper
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Feb 2012, 9:26 pm

Don't the mistake of mixing up "antiperspirant" with "deodorant"- they are completely different products. Most antiperspirants contain aluminum, most deodorants don't. Due to skin allergies, I can't use antiperspirants so I use deodorant that does not contain aluminum. Speed Stick has worked for me for 25 years now...

kg4fxg
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Feb 2012, 9:36 pm

Old Spice

B

Last edited by kg4fxg on 28 Feb 2012, 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

22 Feb 2012, 9:55 pm

If you don't want your armpits to smell as fresh as possible, take a shower every morning. Afterwards, put on deodorant. There's different types of deodorant, as well as deodorant/antiperspirant combos (which I don't personally use; I stick to deordorant only). There's different ways to apply the deodorant (dry white swipe, wet gel swipe, spray). There are also many brands to choose from. I like Old Spice Endurance (a wet-gel deodorant) or Right Guard Aerosol (a spray). You'll need to experiment until finding a deodorant that's right for you, but what's important is using deodorant every morning.

Niniel
Raven
Raven

22 Feb 2012, 9:56 pm

You could try using tea tree oil, is is supposed to keep the smell away, because of its antibacterial properties.