Have you ever had to endure bullying in your own family??

Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

LittleSwallow
Raven
Raven

31 Aug 2012, 7:13 pm

You know, you might have a younger or older sister who is really popular but hates the fact that you weren't the sibling that have always hoped for, so they are always mean to you and spread rumours about you. This is what I had to endure from my younger sister, who has everything in the world, good looks, funny personality, boys after her, friends, basically everything you could want for your social life. But even then she still made my life a misery, as if i didnt hate myself already growing up, because I got all the opposites during puberty. And when she spread rumours about me to her mates and it got around from then (We went to a very small school in the countryside), it made it harder to make friends, and also more people were against me. Because when it comes from your sister, it HAS to be true, apparently. Never mind the fact that for her to speak about me like that shows her to be a horrible person that she would treat her own family like garbage. Not once have i ever went out of my way to speak ill of her till now, but she always wants to.

But no, if u have the looks and the funny hyper personality, no one seems to care if they are horrible people overall.

So have you ever had to endure bullying from your own family because of ur AS?

Have u ever felt punished everyday from them for simply existing?

The shadows betray you....because they belong to me. - Bane, The Dark Knight Rises

Last edited by LittleSwallow on 02 Sep 2012, 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2012, 7:22 pm

No, I didn't have it this bad. My sister did act very much liek she was better than me, including legitimizing some abuse, but she didn't really bully me. I am very sorry you had to endure this.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2012, 7:22 pm

Yes to sibling bullying, though I fought back. But I was also bullied by my own parents, who refused to understand me. Try having your hands pinned behind your back for a prolonged period of time, to stop your stimming.
That happened to me..

Sincerely,
Matthew

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2012, 7:40 pm

I was never bullied by my sister but she does "act like she's better than me" as another poster said of his sibling. When we were kids my younger sister would even sometimes defend me when people picked on me at school. However my sister is prettier than me, smarter than me (objectively -has a higher IQ than I do-she has a genius level IQ), is extremely socially adroit and fits in very well in society, finds it easy to make friends, whereas I'm diagnosed with AS, (she's also two inches taller than me)!. So in terms of feeling like your sibling got all the good attributes........ I can relate.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2012, 8:48 pm

Yes, my brother does have love for me but at the same time he bullied and humiliated me too many times to mention. In particular, he is a highly skilled liar and would convince my friends of the most ludicrous things about me and they would proceed to abandon me. He also joined in some bullies who were bothering me at school and joined right in because he wanted to remain popular. Even today he know what causes me to meltdown and has no problem pushing those buttons. It's especially infuriating when he and my father get together and gang up on me.

It's hard to deal with that and the fact he is much smarter (MENSA member), makes over triple my income, has had girls hanging off him his whole life even though I have better looks and never seems to get rejected. For example, he's at least 11 for 12 in asking girls out and I'm 0 for 8 (1 for 8 if you REALLY want to count a pity date). Hard to do be frustrated by that.

man-hands
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Sep 2012, 9:14 am

I have been bullied for a long time by family members. Bullied by Both of my sisters and my mother. It is called scapegoat syndrome. My mother does it because she has narcissistic personality disorder; my older sister has the same mental problems. My younger sister is sane and normal---but feels she has to "follow the lead" of mother and older sis. It is a very sick family dynamic.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 9:26 am

My sister pretty much bullied me my whole life (also joining in on the bus at school later on). When I was young, my mother said I'd bite back (literally bite). :) Later on, I'd get in trouble by my parents if I hit her back (she'd cry as if the world was ending, and I'd never actually hit her hard); she deserved it though and I regret nothing. My mother now agrees with me and my response to my sister.

You don't do that to your family [or anyone if they don't deserve it].

Funnily, she's nice to me now, ever since one of her sons was diagnosed with AS. I need not point out the irony.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 10:46 am

My father was very overbearing, and being at home was worse than any school experiences I've had. You did not argue with him, absolutely no talking back, and he was always right. Otherwise, it was the belt, a smack in the head, or a hole punched in the wall. My mother just tiptoed around his temper, and I grew up resolved never to be in that type of unequal relationship.

legomyego
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Sep 2012, 6:25 pm

Well my dad used to be very verbally abusive to me because i wasn't able to follow his verbal instructions as a kid (We used to and still do a lot of construction work around the house)

My brother used to make fun of me and make me mad...perpetuating possibly what he saw from my dad. Calling me stupid etc..

My cousins and brother also used to enjoy seeing me have a meltdown so they would mess with me until i had a meltdown.

I wasn't bullied at school...most people were scared of me unjustly at school

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 7:20 pm

LittleSwallow wrote:
Have you ever had to endure bullying in your own family?

Yes.

My father was an alcoholic, bigoted bully. He blamed me for his every misfortune, including the fact (so he said) that he "had to" marry my mother when he got her pregnant -- I was conceived in 1956, which is 4 years before the beginning of the Sexual Revolution (1960) when The Pill was approved for general use.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MagicToenail
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Sep 2012, 9:51 pm

Bullied by my dad, who also bullied my mother. It was so frustrating. In some ways she is a very strong feminist, but she still pretty much believes a husband and the father has the right to "behave badly" and his "subjects" have to just keep quiet about it.
to the OP I'm so sorry about your sibling. In some ways it must hurt more than from a parent because siblings are supposed to be (mostly) equals.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 11:32 am

When I was 12 and starting living with my dad and stepmom full time, my stepmom seemed to "change" and would be really moody and act like I was an inconvenience and that she resented my living with them. This got worse as I became a teenager - her moods got worse, she became even more frigid, critical and emotionally distant....at this time, she would ignore me if I got a grade in English (like an A minus) that she didn't like, called me "self - indulgent" and "immature" would get drunk and threaten to abandon me, hated my stuffed animals, and wasn't even nice to me when I had a really bad case of bronchitis.

And it was my fault....when I was 13, I asked my school counselor why she'd "changed" and she told me, "Well, maybe it's because you live with them all the time now...it's not easy to have someone around all the time whom you're not used to having around; you'd have difficulty with that, too, wouldn't you?"

...I daresay our relationship's somewhat better now that I'm at college.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

Mego
Toucan
Toucan

02 Sep 2012, 12:36 pm

I am lucky to have great parents and a sister who despite being popular has always treated me well. In fact my sister stands up for people like me and includes them socially because she knows that sometimes its naturally hard. I think it has to do with my parents being understanding and accepting people. However, my peers, boyfriends, and teacher relationships have not always been that great.

benr3600
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Sep 2012, 12:42 am

Yes. My stepfather used to bully me, and treated me as the "black sheep" of the family. He used to tell embarrassing things about me to strangers, things they had no need to know but he told them anyway. I have an uncle who is your typical NT on steroids, and acts as if I make a choice to be different. My mom condescends me because I do not have the same pursuits and goals she does, because she can't understand that not everybody looks to society to guide their behavior.

SHEILD
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Sep 2012, 1:03 am

Not so much bullying as blaming -'it's your fault you can't behave, it's your fault people don't want to come over to our house, if you just smartened up or behaved yourself your parents wouldn't be mad or things would be better est.'

My sister blamed me alot and called me names when she was younger. It took me so long to be able to talk to her again. I still can't stand adults yelling at me -I just shut down.

Sunny55
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Sep 2012, 8:37 am

I remember being bullied in my first job and my mum took the side of the bullies. She didn't work there, but when I told her the things they said to me, she agreed with them. I didn't know at the time it was bullying (though I knew I was being treated badly)-it was a counsellor who said it was verbal abuse. They said I was bitchy, didn't talk anough, read too much, needed to see a psychiatrist, was mentally ill, slow to learn, etc. (I later got two degrees, so they were wrong about the last of these, anyway.) And once one of the women said she would smash my face in.