Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 3:15 pm

paxfilosoof wrote:
That's not right. You can have autism or neurotypicalism and still become paranoid, psychotic or psychopath. A psychopath in his definition means someone who has not empathy for humans. Not the DSM meaning.

If the definitions go out the window, then the little science that were in psychology goes out the window.

Quote:
He has his own view on the literature. He is not saying anything about amygdala or something.

I am, he was saying that autistics had biological brain damage. Thats not correct, we're wired differently. We are more "Alienware" computers than "Dell" or "HP". We are good at a specific task, we're not generalists.

Quote:
Their is also a theory that homo sapiens killed neanderthalers.

I'm sure there are lots of theories. Could also be theories that the Neanderthals were hit by a virus that eliminated them. But i'm sure which theory i'd go with.

Quote:
No he's not. But in fact recently Markram's hypothesie that autistic individuals who can't speak have in fact a very high IQ etc.

Perhaps some other form of IQ, but not a high IQ in the traditional sense.

Quote:
But you criticism is fair I think. But he has a complete new vision of DSM.

He has some points yes. Genetics, upbringing and societal factors can affect what a person turns into. Lots of people miss this and thinks that its all genetics or vaccines - or voodoo - but lots of people are morons and cannot see the big picture on how factors come together. I wish more people would go deeper than just to accept one or two factors as the "root of all evil".

That's why i keep saying this: A 15 year old who have played Sim City knows more about how to run a well working town (or country) than some random person with ambition and a political agenda.

paxfilosoof
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Feb 2013, 3:17 pm

Ichinin wrote:
paxfilosoof wrote:
That's not right. You can have autism or neurotypicalism and still become paranoid, psychotic or psychopath. A psychopath in his definition means someone who has not empathy for humans. Not the DSM meaning.

If the definitions go out the window, then the little science that were in psychology goes out the window.

Quote:
He has his own view on the literature. He is not saying anything about amygdala or something.

I am, he was saying that autistics had biological brain damage. Thats not correct, we're wired differently. We are more "Alienware" computers than "Dell" or "HP". We are good at a specific task, we're not generalists.

Quote:
Their is also a theory that homo sapiens killed neanderthalers.

I'm sure there are lots of theories. Could also be theories that the Neanderthals were hit by a virus that eliminated them. But i'm sure which theory i'd go with.

Quote:
No he's not. But in fact recently Markram's hypothesie that autistic individuals who can't speak have in fact a very high IQ etc.

Perhaps some other form of IQ, but not a high IQ in the traditional sense.

Quote:
But you criticism is fair I think. But he has a complete new vision of DSM.

He has some points yes. Genetics, upbringing and societal factors can affect what a person turns into. Lots of people miss this and thinks that its all genetics or vaccines - or voodoo - but lots of people are morons and cannot see the big picture on how factors come together. I wish more people would go deeper than just to accept one or two factors as the "root of all evil".

That's why i keep saying this: A 15 year old who have played Sim City knows more about how to run a well working town (or country) than some random person with ambition and a political agenda.

Well, I don't have much energy. Thanks for stating your opinion.

Markram hypothesie that classic autism have excessive fear -> hyper-reactive amygdala

Last edited by paxfilosoof on 28 Feb 2013, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 3:18 pm

paxfilosoof wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Drew William McPherson was born on December 25, 1976 in Perth, Ontario, Canada ... On September 30, 2011, Drew Mcpherson was involved in a motor vehicle accident in Halifax in which he was allegedly impaired. His southbound vehicle struck a northbound taxi resulting in the death of a passenger in the taxi. As a result of the investigation by the HRP Accident Investigation Unit and Patrol Officers, Mcpherson was arrested. He is currently incarcerated in the Central Nova Scotia Correctional Facility while awaiting trial. Some of the other charges MacPherson faces include dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death, four counts of breach of recognizance and seven counts of breach of probation.

> Link to Newspaper Article <

Is this the same person?

No idea ;)
But I think so yes.
But it doesn't matter.

Actually, it does, because if they are the same person, it reveals two facts about Drew W. MacPherson:

1. He graduated from the University of Waterloo with a Bachelor of Math degree, majoring in Computer Science with an option in Electrical and Computer Engineering; without any specialized scholastic training in Autistic Spectrum Disorders, Psychology, Psychiatry, Medicine, or any other field related to Autism.

2. His criminal behavior indicates a possible lack of ethical behavior and a seeming lack of moral judgement.

Therefore, in my opinion (based on the facts as presented) it would be unreasonable to accept his claims and opinions on any topic related to Autism.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

paxfilosoof
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Feb 2013, 3:22 pm

Fnord wrote:
paxfilosoof wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Drew William McPherson was born on December 25, 1976 in Perth, Ontario, Canada ... On September 30, 2011, Drew Mcpherson was involved in a motor vehicle accident in Halifax in which he was allegedly impaired. His southbound vehicle struck a northbound taxi resulting in the death of a passenger in the taxi. As a result of the investigation by the HRP Accident Investigation Unit and Patrol Officers, Mcpherson was arrested. He is currently incarcerated in the Central Nova Scotia Correctional Facility while awaiting trial. Some of the other charges MacPherson faces include dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death, four counts of breach of recognizance and seven counts of breach of probation.

> Link to Newspaper Article <

Is this the same person?

No idea ;)
But I think so yes.
But it doesn't matter.

Actually, it does, because if they are the same person, it reveals two facts about Drew W. MacPherson:

1. He graduated from the University of Waterloo with a Bachelor of Math degree, majoring in Computer Science with an option in Electrical and Computer Engineering; without any specialized scholastic training in Autistic Spectrum Disorders, Psychology, Psychiatry, Medicine, or any other field related to Autism.

2. His criminal behavior indicates a possible lack of ethical behavior and a seeming lack of moral judgement.

Therefore, in my opinion (based on the facts as presented) it would be unreasonable to accept his claims and opinions on any topic related to Autism.

Okay thanks!

I never read any book of a researcher in autism. Because they're not vegans and I think it's unethical to eat animal products.
Also many original research that is performed is by hobbiest. Einstein even said in his book: The most progress in science is by people who think in their free time about science.

But like I said earlier thanks for your opinion! :)
I really appreciate your view of the book. And you make some "logical" points.
I don't want to sound arrogant, maybe I'm.

Last edited by paxfilosoof on 28 Feb 2013, 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 3:24 pm

It pays to learn the facts first, before spouting off any random opinion you may have.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

paxfilosoof
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Feb 2013, 3:26 pm

Fnord wrote:
It pays to learn the facts first, before spouting off any random opinion you may have.

You make a good point.
But I do not really understand about what opinions you're talking.
Also I think you should only accept something because it fits your experience, and experience lead to knowledge.
And if I'm honest I think you couldn't have read the work of him properly, but that's fine if that is you point of view of research.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 3:32 pm

Fnord wrote:

Big If.

I found lots of people with his name. There are no clear indicators linking him to the person in the article. And if it were true, it could also mean that he were culpable for the death in the traffic collision, culpability does not make someone bad, it makes someone responsible for their actions.

paxfilosoof
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Feb 2013, 3:34 pm

Ichinin wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Big If.

I found lots of people with his name. There are no clear indicators linking him to the person in the article. And if it were true, it could also mean that he were culpable for the death in the traffic collision, culpability does not make someone bad, it makes someone responsible for their actions.

I like this point of view. However, even if this is the case, it could be even this kind of experience this person had to write a part of his book. Something valuable I think.
The only thing we can say is that someone write a book about autism. And I only judge the book, nothing else.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 3:45 pm

paxfilosoof wrote:
Adamantium wrote:
I read "2012" and "new age of..." in the same sentence and read no further.

In my experience to date, this is a reliable indicator of unalloyed bovine excreta.

That is really one of the less important part of his book, but whatever.
Thanks for commenting!

Well, if he is talking about the coming new age of autism and shift of consciousness in 2012, he is arguing from an intellectual foundation which has been shown to lack merit. When a persons spouts BS in one area, I find that they are not usually passing gems of wisdom or learning in other areas. The shift in consciousness thing is a trigger for my BS detector. Is there a solid foundation for the other ideas in this book? Is it worth the investment of time to find out?

paxfilosoof
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Feb 2013, 3:50 pm

Adamantium wrote:
paxfilosoof wrote:
Adamantium wrote:
I read "2012" and "new age of..." in the same sentence and read no further.

In my experience to date, this is a reliable indicator of unalloyed bovine excreta.

That is really one of the less important part of his book, but whatever.
Thanks for commenting!

Well, if he is talking about the coming new age of autism and shift of consciousness in 2012, he is arguing from an intellectual foundation which has been shown to lack merit. When a persons spouts BS in one area, I find that they are not usually passing gems of wisdom or learning in other areas. The shift in consciousness thing is a trigger for my BS detector. Is there a solid foundation for the other ideas in this book? Is it worth the investment of time to find out?

I actually have no idea. All what I can say is that he has written a book about autism.
And personally I think it's a good one, if you've read it 3x.
But when I'm trying to read something I'm not really detecting false "parts" or something. I read it and I judge the whole.
But my opinion is not important. Thanks!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 4:02 pm

Ichinin wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Big If.

I found lots of people with his name. There are no clear indicators linking him to the person in the article...

They're the same person.

The Wikipedia article states that the same man who is in jail and facing numerous charges is also the owner and operator of Bine Consulting Corp., which has produced such websites as ProxEasy.com and TheyFall.com, among others.

"Lulu" sells three books of his: "You May Be “Insane” and You Don’t Even Know It!" By Drew Mcpherson, "You May Be "Insane" and You Don't Even Know It!: 2006: An Egopathy Handbook: How to "Hear Yourself Think" By Drew Mcpherson, and "How I Created ProxEasy" By Bine Consulting Corp.

A little research goes a long way.

I judge such books not only by their contents, but by the relevant credentials (or lack thereof) and integrity (or lack thereof) of the authors.

In this case, I wouldn't pollute my mind with any of it.

paxfilosoof
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Feb 2013, 4:04 pm

Fnord wrote:
Ichinin wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Big If.

I found lots of people with his name. There are no clear indicators linking him to the person in the article...

They're the same person.

The Wikipedia article states that the same man who is in jail and facing numerous charges is also the owner and operator of Bine Consulting Corp., which has produced such websites as ProxEasy.com and TheyFall.com, among others.

"Lulu" sells three books of his: "You May Be “Insane” and You Don’t Even Know It!" By Drew Mcpherson, "You May Be "Insane" and You Don't Even Know It!: 2006: An Egopathy Handbook: How to "Hear Yourself Think" By Drew Mcpherson, and "How I Created ProxEasy" By Bine Consulting Corp.

I judge such books not only by their contents, but by the credentials (or lack thereof) and integrity (or lack thereof) of the authors.

In this case, I wouldn't pollute my mind with any of it.

Thanks for your opinion!

I came to the same conclusion, but I liked the book :)
I knew that hes site would deleted by people so I saved his work! :P

paxfilosoof
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Mar 2013, 12:38 am

The site will be removed soon I think. So copy it in a word document if you want to read it. Thanks.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2013, 1:35 am

Quote:
I never read any book of a researcher in autism. Because they're not vegans and I think it's unethical to eat animal products.

What do someone's ethics have to do with their expertise in a particular subject?

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2013, 10:57 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
Quote:
What do someone's ethics have to do with their expertise in a particular subject?

Lying (for instance) is unethical; publishing a collection lies for personal gain is even more so - unless, of course, the publisher includes a disclaimer stating that the published item is a work of fiction. Often, an obvious lack of personal ethics influences even the most well-meant piece of otherwise informative literature. In this case, the literature issues from false authority, as well.

paxfilosoof
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Mar 2013, 11:35 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
Quote:

I don't think their is a connection.
Fnord said that, and I gave an example.