Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 11:33 pm

I can't pick up on initial sarcasm, until I've heard the meaning of it or keep hearing the same thing. Most of the time,its completely missed, unless said sarcasm is so outlandish it makes me stop and think about before reacting appropriately.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 11:39 pm

I think I'm way too sarcastic. I don't always get it immediately when other people are sarcastic though. It's mostly someone says something that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me with a completely straight face and I don't know whether they are serious or not and am afraid to make the wrong assumption. Occasionally I've thought someone must have been being sarcastic when it turned out they were just kind of errrm... intellectually challenged, and actually believed some ridiculous thing they were saying.

eegore
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Mar 2013, 7:21 am

I live in a Jewish family, sarcasm is a way of life. It is when we are direct is when I start to worry

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

29 Mar 2013, 7:24 am

bumble wrote:
I use sarcasm but often find it can confuse people unless I specify that I am using sarcasm at the time (especially online so I usually use [sarcasm][/sarcasm] brackets to clarify unless it is very obvious.

I can sometimes misread sarcasm though, although again, more so online than off of it.

I can be a bit ditzy sometimes!

I can miss the troll factor on occasion, especially if think they just want to discuss the paranormal/parapsychology or another area of interest to myself. I don't always realise they are not genuinely interested.

Offline, that's maybe because maybe your inflections are off. When I was on Zoloft and/or Lexapro, nobody ever understood when I was being sarcastic. These cause flat affect and no facial expressions. When I got off them and started taking stimulants, people rarely misunderstood my sarcasm.

I can be ditzy too.

I've noticed there are a lot of NT's--particularly women for some reason--who can't understand sarcasm or humor either.

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 9:23 am

I use sarcasm a lot and most of the times I can understand it.

Although I can use it better than that I can understand it. I don't know why :?:

bizboy1
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2013, 9:34 am

I thought I understood sarcasm, but I don't. I think we tell ourselves we do but in fact we don't--to some of us at least. I am a lot like sheldon from the big bang theory when it comes to sarcasm. I either don't recognize it or I question it when I suspect it. I don't get obvious sarcasm as seen in Monty Python.

glow
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2013, 8:41 pm

I dont know either. Is it means tested?