Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

As a person with Aspergers how often is insomnia effecting you?
Every night 55%  55%  [ 24 ]
Every week 25%  25%  [ 11 ]
Every month 7%  7%  [ 3 ]
Never and issue/Almost never as issue 14%  14%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 44

Projectile
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Aug 2013, 1:44 pm

Keen to get an idea of how prevalent this is among Aspies.

I have been struggling with Insomnia since I was very young.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 2:49 pm

I go through periods when it is worse and I won't sleep all night without some aid. But then I may have a few days where I sleep reasonably well. Then I get the times when I wake up very early and feel too alert to go back to sleep.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 3:17 pm

I'm not sure if its technically insomnia, but the result is the same - I just can't get my brain to shut off its incessant internal monologue and shut the f**k up. I have no desire to take Big Pharma Meds, with their laundry lists of side effects, so I self medicate. It works for me. :drunken:

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 3:18 pm

I use a melatonin supplement (as of this year) & an ever-expanding plethora of herbal methods to get back off my feet after most days. It takes a LOT of hard work for me to become sleepy under my own steam.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Keni
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Aug 2013, 5:43 pm

Sometimes a few times a week.
I get to sleep no problem, but wake up after only a couple of hours.

kapo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Aug 2013, 6:45 pm

Does anyone know why this is some-what prevalent in those with aspergers or similar?

KookyKitten
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Aug 2013, 9:30 pm

I've had insane insomnia ever since I was a small child. In fact, I remember sleeping with my mother at about age four and lightly kicking her leg to wake her up because I was so restless. Unfortunately for me, she was a sound sleeper. If I knew the next day was something like the first day of school, I wouldn't sleep a wink because of anxiety. The only way I get any nightly sleep in now is through medication.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 11:54 pm

Not really insomnia. Just an unpredictable sleep cycle. I could be wide awake at 3 a.m. or ready to turn in at noon. As a baby I didn't sleep through the night... ever. Eventually I learned to go back to sleep or to lie there and daydream, and later on to read.

I keep it mostly regulated with melatonin and a big window, but the second I stop watching out, it's out of whack again.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 12:08 am

I'm prone to staying up later each night & waking up later each morning/afternoon,
but other than that I don't have trouble falling asleep.

The current problem is with *remaining* asleep,
thanks to the medication I began a few months ago-I keep waking up over & over.
Can get right back to sleep, usually-
but I'll continue to repeatedly awaken (I know 'cause I turn & look at the clock)

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 6:57 am

Willard wrote:
I'm not sure if its technically insomnia, but the result is the same - I just can't get my brain to shut off its incessant internal monologue and shut the f**k up. I have no desire to take Big Pharma Meds, with their laundry lists of side effects, so I self medicate. It works for me. :drunken:

That is me. Sometimes my brain just comes alive when I hit the pillow and I can think about my whole life in fast forward, seeing details and dimensions I didn't think were there.

I used to self medicate but found it only works occasionally. Alcohol has become an issue with me.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 7:32 am

I have it a lot. I can't say for sure if it's every week or how regularly but I know that I have it often.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 7:34 am

kapo wrote:
Does anyone know why this is some-what prevalent in those with aspergers or similar?
Welcome to WP Kapo. I noticed this is your first post. Is that you in your avatar pic? The person in your pic is very beautiful.

Bustduster
Toucan
Toucan

05 Aug 2013, 8:51 am

I've had insomnia on and off since I was a baby, and it got much worse in my early 20s. Since then, I've taken a sleeping pill virtually every night (sometimes over-the-counter, sometimes on prescription).

Obviously I'm not thrilled about the dependency aspect, but I have to hold down a job, and you can't do that if you never sleep.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 9:44 am

Bustduster wrote:
I've had insomnia on and off since I was a baby, and it got much worse in my early 20s. Since then, I've taken a sleeping pill virtually every night (sometimes over-the-counter, sometimes on prescription).

Obviously I'm not thrilled about the dependency aspect, but I have to hold down a job, and you can't do that if you never sleep.

That is bad. I was once prescribed sleeping pills and after three days of taking them I went on overload with anxiety. Those pills are lethal.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

05 Aug 2013, 10:06 am

I have pretty bad insomnia. Sometimes I only get a few hours of sleep.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

05 Aug 2013, 10:50 am

It depends on whether I am on my medicine or not. If I am, no, but if I am, almost every day.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."