Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 12:34 pm

I think part of developing a thick skin is learning to ignore comments and opinions of people who you don't hold in high esteem. The only people who can prick my skin are those people I respect.
Another part of this is developing a good sense of self-esteem. When you are confident within yourself, snide or nasty comments by others are seen through for what they are and no weight is given to them.
So this isn't so much a case of developing a thick skin, it is learning whose opinions to value and being sensitive (thin skinned) towards those people but also knowing whose opinions to ignore and be thick skinned towards those people.

greyjay
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Aug 2013, 12:52 pm

I try to remember that every breath I take is a finger in the eye of those who are uncomfortable with my existence. I still get hurt, but I am much more confident about my ability to survive and less concerned with other people's judgement. Things might not get better, but everything changes. Sometimes I still feel like going back to bed until the current situation is different, though, so I hardly have all the answers.

Cuckooflower
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2013, 12:56 pm

I can relate to everything you said. I am even slow too. People have complained about that with me and I have even been fired from a job because of it. Could that be an Aspie thing?

Yes, autistics have large motor co-ordination problems, and bilateral co-ordination problems.
Yes I too have been bullied doing work because of this. It was horrible.

Glad I could shed some light on some stuff.
NTs really don't hang onto things in the same way. They cope better with the rough and tumble of daily interactions, and they filter it all out better.
We don't process these things normally, the words of the looks and the emotions others felt or made us feel, and so on. It doesn't just get wiped away with us.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 1:02 pm

TallyMan wrote:
I think part of developing a thick skin is learning to ignore comments and opinions of people who you don't hold in high esteem. The only people who can prick my skin are those people I respect.
Another part of this is developing a good sense of self-esteem. When you are confident within yourself, snide or nasty comments by others are seen through for what they are and no weight is given to them.
So this isn't so much a case of developing a thick skin, it is learning whose opinions to value and being sensitive (thin skinned) towards those people but also knowing whose opinions to ignore and be thick skinned towards those people.
That makes a lot of sense.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 1:06 pm

Cuckooflower wrote:
I can relate to everything you said. I am even slow too. People have complained about that with me and I have even been fired from a job because of it. Could that be an Aspie thing?

Yes, autistics have large motor co-ordination problems, and bilateral co-ordination problems.

NTs really don't hang onto things in the same way. They cope better with the rough and tumble of daily interactions, and they filter it all out better.
We don't process these things normally, the words of the looks and the emotions others felt or made us feel, and so on. It doesn't just get wiped away with us.
I'm so glad to learn this because I have been made to feel like I was less than or even bad to be this way. So it makes me feel so much better to know that it is an Aspie thing. Thank you for your posts,

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 1:09 pm

I think part of my learning not to worry about what others think of me was to do things on purpose in public to make people look at me.

My daughter is a bit embarrassed at times especially when I'm blurting things out at the top of my voice when we walk down the road or doing a funny walk but I just really don't care in fact I think it's funny.

I think life's to short to worry about what people think of you.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 1:33 pm

Jonov wrote:
I don't think you ever can create the "thick skin" the way most people describe it.

If you are a sensitive person this means you would have to create a artificial blockage in your mind, that stops the emotional part of what would normally hurt from entering your consciousness .

In other words you would basically create a superiority complex to be no longer consciously aware of the effect of the hurtful things that people say, but subconsciously this data still enters your mind, and will slowly tear cracks into the dam that blocks the basin that contains your emotion, and after a while that dam will break and create a flood aka a very deep depression.

I did this after I was bullied for 10 years straight and for a while this worked perfectly but I ignored myself emotionally, and it backfired in a very bad way, and had it not been for my parents I would not be typing this today, as I would not have been alive.

What I had to learn is to not so much create a shield, but rather have someone close to you to help you rationalize your irrational emotional responses on seemingly small events, so the next time you get into a jam you can reflect on that earlier situation and try to regulate your emotions, the insult will still be as nasty and will still hurt you the same, but you will have learned some tools to pick yourself back up a bit faster.

If you vent regularly you can make sure that the basin doesn't fill up as fast and occasionally you let some emotion flow trough, so when you have to take a big hit the impact will not be as big as it otherwise would be.

A whale has a thick skin but also has a giant hole in it to let out some water every now and then :)

I hope this helps :)
I agree with this, and that's why it makes no sense when people say "just get a thick skin" like you can just go to a store and buy one. I see emotion as a fundamental human thing and, to me, blocking out your emotion seems like hiding your humanity and artifically trying to turn yourself into a psychopath. I don't want to be a psychopath - I've had regular contact with a real psychopath throughout my childhood and they're horrible, horrible people.

Cuckooflower wrote:
Impossible as it may seem, if you give yourself time it is possible to improve on this.

For me being exposed to constant bullying and abuse from others eventually tipped me to the point of having to stand up for myself; well, it was that and being lucky enough to have allies and people who liked me and cared for me, so I could value myself enough to change.

I think fundamentally understanding that nothing is as personal as it seems is also very key.
My personality and how I am just pisses people off; I'm too slow, I'm weird, I don't talk about the same things as they do...whatever it is, I can't always fit in.
But you can learn to moderate behaviours as well. This will reduce the amount of negative attention you receive too. (cont'd)
As a child, I had no concept of self-identity and people did not help guide me toward one, either. I feel like a large chunk of my childhood is missing, because people never cared enough to consider me as an individual, to explain my actions to me and help me get a big picture of *why* I am the way I am. Now, Asperger's is a huge part of my identity; however, I only discovered it by accident. My mom did not tell me anything about it or about my childhood diagnosis directly until I overheard her talking about it, and I will never forgive her for that. Because my identity has only developed over the past ~5 years, it's still very weak. My self-esteem is also generally high, but it's also very unstable. I often find myself looking at social media profiles of my classmates and it makes me very sad how they were already so confident and self-aware during high school; it is something I missed and was so upset about that I took an extra year of high school to try to regain it back after finding out about AS.

Generally, now, I see ASD as a very positive thing and I am very attached to the DSM criteria, in that, whenever I do something that is different, I consider it in light of ASD criteria or characteristics associated with ASD and then don't judge myself for it. However, I have a different kind of fear.

I am very, very scared of being perceived as crazy/unstable. Aside from ASD criteria, which are already established, I have trouble accepting myself as different from others on the spectrum. In other words, I have trouble being my own person if my own behaviour appears irrational to me or to others in light of any frameworks that already apply to me. That's why I need constant social validation. If someone on the spectrum suddenly rejects me, says that my behaviour is strange, or acts in ways that are radically different from how I act, I instantly become agitated and anxious because I am scared there might be something else wrong with me that no one has ever told me about. It also troubles me how I've been straight out rejected by most of my classmates for years while many others here appear to have had at least some social life during their school years. I need constant validation that my actions can be explained by me being on the spectrum and not by some other problem I have that I am not aware about. That's why, once I can no longer link a behaviour of mine directly to ASD and I get punished by someone for this behaviour, I break down over it completely.

littlebee wrote:
Math Girl, hope this is not too intellectual, but if so, then try to look at it as a different kind of math equation.: Everything is only relevant according to context. If you are being hurt it is probably because the experience unconsciously represents to you something else. Now since it is unconscious, then you would not know what that is, and if someone does tell you it would just be words. The beginning of the solution to this kind of conundrum is to consciously make a new context, such as perhaps to begin to find out, and it seems you are doing that. Now to me you are very precious and special child. You have a very high IQ as I recall and are also extremely sensitive, so a unique and special possibility to develop. No one ever said the path would be easy. It is one baby step at a time, one foot after the other, but with a plan. Even a baby is trying to get to something across the room, maybe its mother. If the plan is to develop then I suggest to approach that venture logically. Maybe we can look at possible ways to do that.

Why do you not want to come on this forum? Seems you are with your own kind here, plus you are not addicted--making less than one post a day...Just use it. Do not let "it" use you. Wherever you are going until the 16th, maybe if you put on your observing cap you will learn something new about yourself.

love, littlebee.
Yeah, that's exactly what I try to do... to reframe it in a particular context that is predefined. I need to be studying for my exam on the 16th, but this whole thick skin stuff has been getting on my nerves and I decided to throw it out here.

Thanks, I was really touched by everyone's replies. Does anyone have any specific feedback on my situation, as described above?

P.S. I also find it really hard to just reject a human being. I don't know why... :?

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Last edited by MathGirl on 08 Aug 2013, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 1:54 pm

I find it really hard to reject people too even if they are mean to me sometimes. Maybe it's because I know what it feels like to be rejected and I don't wish that feeling on anyone. And also because I know that I have done plenty of wrong things and bad things and been mean sometimes myself I try to forgive others the best I can. It's not fair to not forgive others when I have done things that are just as bad.

Cuckooflower
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2013, 2:00 pm

skibum wrote:
Cuckooflower wrote:

I'm so glad to learn this because I have been made to feel like I was less than or even bad to be this way. So it makes me feel so much better to know that it is an Aspie thing. Thank you for your posts,

It's a shame you didn't realise this was part of your autism. We really don't process these things normally, and things people have said, looks they've given me, negative emotions from years ago, can stay with me for life and make me feel just as dreadful as when it just happened. I have personally been subject to a great deal of bullying and abuse and in horrible situations, however this applies to many of us on the spectrum and to even relatively mild situations causing distress.
It's not your fault, your brain just works differently; you're not making it up and you're not a bad person.
Glad I could help.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 2:15 pm

MathGirl wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:
My best advice is to learn not to care. Doesn't "solve" the issue, but I find it helps.
So how can one not care and yet still manage to feel empathy for others and/or get pleasure from helping others? I find I feel very intensely for other people and have a strong need to help others who are struggling in some respect.

For me, that was the trade off. I'm not bothered as much because I no longer care...and it comes across just as that.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 2:28 pm

skibum wrote:
I find it really hard to reject people too even if they are mean to me sometimes. Maybe it's because I know what it feels like to be rejected and I don't wish that feeling on anyone. And also because I know that I have done plenty of wrong things and bad things and been mean sometimes myself I try to forgive others the best I can. It's not fair to not forgive others when I have done things that are just as bad.
Exactly...

skibum wrote:
Cuckooflower wrote:

Yeah, I'm slow, too, but realized it was part of autism early on. I've read almost 50 books on autism up to date because it made me feel really good about myself to read them. Also, many people I've interacted with said it was part of their autism... that's why talking to people who are like you is so helpful. :)

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

littlebee
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 3:57 pm

Mat Girl wrote to Jonov:

Quote:
I need constant validation that my actions can be explained by me being on the spectrum and not by some other problem I have that I am not aware about. That's why, once I can no longer link a behaviour of mine directly to ASD and I get punished by someone for this behaviour, I break down over it completely.

I don't want to give you too much to think about before your exam, but sometimes explanations need to overlap, though also generalization, meaning grouping things only under a particular category, can serve a function. The way people use material will begin to shift and change over time as learning occurs.

Math Girl wrote to littllebee:
Quote:
Yeah, that's exactly what I try to do... to reframe it in a particular context that is predefined.

In my opinion this is the key to the transformation of the mind..Of course as the mind develops by becoming more comprehensive, and also by deliberately learning how to employ the making of various isolations (encapsulations) as a transformational device, the brain will change, too..The problem is that making protections can sometimes form a kind of enclosure that becomes a prison, so when a person begins to understand this, and most people never do, then the birds in the trees and even the angels will begin to sing. It becomes really thrilling.

If a person sees the situation when he is young and aspires to try to find the way out, then that is extremely fortunate. You are very young and have a special mental capacity, so if you become inspired to develop not just for yourself alone, but for the benefit of others, help will begin to come to you in many ways and from many directions.