Having a meltdown over Paypal of all things

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Sep 2014, 10:50 pm

Does anyone understand Paypal? Or how to change to payments coming out of the Paypal balance not the bank account balance?

The last several purchases I've made on ebay, the payments have come out of my bank account. They have always in the past come directly out of my Paypal account - that is precisely why I leave money in there! I never switched it to be like this!

Now I've just had another amount get taken right out of my bank account and now I'm overdrawn. My payments have always come out of my Paypal account - I have just spent 40 minutes on that site trying to figure out how to switch it back to coming out of my Paypal balance! There is plenty of money in there for the small purchases I make.

I never switched the payment choices - Paypal must have switched it somehow because if I can't even figure out how to put it back the way it was, then why on earth would I have switched it to this method to begin with? I don't know where on the site to go about changing it back, if I had switched it to begin with I'd remember where to go now :x

One page I was on said "Paypal will always use the Paypal balance in your account first" BS BS BS BS BS Utter and complete BS - then why is the money coming out of my bank account when there is $130+ in my Paypal account?

I am going out of my mind with this right now....

It wouldn't bother me so much except this BS is costing me money - I have overdraft protection but it costs me $5 every transaction! I need to get this switched back, it's costing me money I don't have!

I emailed them and now I can't even find the open case page with my case message on it! I can't navigate that site and I'm getting pissed off with it!

Please can someone tell me how to make payments come out of my Paypal balance tonight? This is causing me anxiety right now, I keep telling myself to wait till tomorrow and phone them but I want to fix this now or I'll be stewing about this lying in bed later, I hate that they switched my payments like that, I never chose to have the payments come out of my bank account - why would I do that...

Can anyone help me please?

AQ score: 47
RAADS-R score: 196

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2014, 11:07 pm

I can't tell you about navigating their site or doing anything there, because I've never done much with them. The things that I pay come out of my credit card, and have never come out of my bank account, for just that reason: I hate to get overdrawn, and at least there's a low limit on my credit card, so some hacker could only steal from me up to the amount of the limit. But I will say that you'd better get on that phone as soon as they're open, because it smells suspiciously like some identity thief is messing with you. If you never set it up to come out of your bank account, how did they get your numbers to take it out? Do you snail them checks to get money into your account at PayPal? I think taking your numbers off your checks and then using them to withdraw money would still be illegal, but I'm not a lawyer. I've never quite trusted them, though, and this smells really funny.

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Sep 2014, 11:17 pm

Well my bank account and my Paypal account have always been linked up for as long as I can remember - it's just that I've always had my purchases come out of the Paypal account, it's simpler than transferring the money into my bank account cuz that takes like 5-7 days :roll: I like to just leave some money in the Paypal account and pay for stuff directly from that.

And I can see that all of the purchases that have come out have been my own purchases, small stuff mostly. It's just that they're all coming out of my overdrawn bank account now - I never made it do that! There's money in the Paypal account for this :x

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2014, 11:29 pm

It's been a little while since I last made a PayPal purchase, and I usually only used the direct bank account option anyway, so I am not totally sure, but I think that the option might be there when you make the purchase. I am going to go check on the website to see if there is an option within my account for it.

What I do know is that the last time I used a PayPal balance to pay instead of my bank account, I didn't actually do anything on PayPal.com, so either it automatically did it or I selected an option while I was making the purchase.

If you are overdrawn, you can actually have PayPal transfer money back into your bank account from the website itself (though it takes a few business days).

- Sherlock Holmes

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2014, 11:35 pm

^^^

I agree. Something smells quite foul. First thing I'd do is to go online with your bank and see specifically where the charges are coming from. I would dispute every charge that shows up as PayPal. I would then call PayPal at the number listed at https://www.paypal.com/webapps/helpcent ... help/home/, with code number listed on that page, and tell them You are disputing all charges made with them for purchases, as there is money in your PayPal Account to pay for said purchases. If they find they were in error, I would demand all monies be returned to your checking account that you have listed, including all overdraft and overdraft protection fees charged by your bank.

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Sep 2014, 11:37 pm

My purchases were made on ebay and when I go to pay, it only gives me one option - "Pay after Delivery", I have no choice but to click that.

It takes me to the Paypal site where I put my password, then takes me back to the ebay page where I click the above link...

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2014, 11:42 pm

Ok then that is ruled out. I saw the page you were talking about too, PayPal is supposed to default to your PayPal balance if there is money in there, so it is probably some issue with PayPal. I agree with Meistersinger, you should contact them about it and demand that they refund that money to your bank account, including the extra fees, and then change your PayPal account balance to be what it should be.

- Sherlock Holmes

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2014, 12:08 am

Try this:

Go to PayPal.com and login to your paypal account. Once logged in, click on contact at the bottom of any page on PayPal's site. Click on the call us link and login. The toll free number and a one-time passcode will appear. You must use that passcode within 1 hour. PayPal has limited business hours. All times listed are Pacific Standard Time. The hours are M-F 04:00 to 22:00 (4:00 AM to 10:00PM), Sat and Sun 06:00 to 20:00 (6:00 AM to 8:00 PM)

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2014, 4:01 am

Try dealing with PayPal over a dial-up connection. :lol:

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2014, 9:21 pm

Well, I've never had a problem with them on my dial-up, but then I've never had a problem with them at all that called for negotiation such as this, contact with a human. I would like to know whether they made the problem right today, including those extra charges. If they didn't, I may never deal with them again.

WeeYank
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Sep 2014, 10:57 pm

PayPal, Shmaypal. I haven't used them for a while, mainly because I get too aggravated when I do. I once had a similar experience shortly after I "became verified" or "verified my bank account" or some such nonsense that they kept requesting me to do. Whatever it was it changed my default setting to draw directly from my bank account. I sorted it out by removing my bank's ABA and account number from their website.

Hope this helps.