Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2005, 2:56 am

I tell only people who I am close with about my DX. For two reasons:

1. Ignorance: Not too many people have heard about AS, and then when you tell them it'sa form autism people start thinking even less of you.

2. Dignity: Cuase of the ignorance I feel my dignity has been damaged. Founding out I had AS I think was a very traumatizing event.

I was in denial for many years.....

I was 11 or 12 when parents first told me I was autisitc, I didn't beleive them for two reasons:

1. I once saw an autistiic kid and all he did was frail his arms and scream in frustration all day.(LFA)

2. I was in special ed for 1-5 grade but after I was tottally mainstreamed. How could I be autistic if I able to function like the rest of kids???

But I wasn't functioning like the rest of the kids, I had a very few friends, everyone thought I was either ret*d or crazy or some kind of freak.

Then at age of 16 I start reading about AS/autism and that was the nail in the coffin right there...

I was a very happy child, full of pride, I felt like I could anything. But now I feel very limited. Very different. Very incomptetent. I feel like a total ret*d, just like the kids at school said I was.

man Im such a loser autism destroyed my pride.

Thinking about all this makes me want to cut myself. Im not going to kill myself, I just want to deal with this. I need a way to punish myself for being the way I am. I really hate myself. :-(

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2005, 3:18 am

Quote:
I was a very happy child, full of pride, I felt like I could anything. But now I feel very limited. Very different. Very incomptetent. I feel like a total ret*d, just like the kids at school said I was.

Thinking about all this makes me want to cut myself. Im not going to kill myself, I just want to deal with this. I need a way to punish myself for being the way I am. I really hate myself. :(

That would be letting those who called you ret*d win. Yea, we may have to fight an uphill battle, but if you climb to the top of that mountain, there the ones who will be the loosers becasue they will have failed in their effort to repress you.

In my meeting ghosthunter, we conversed about such things. He described the process of "bloodletting" as letting the fizz out of bottle of soda that has been shaken up.

I talked about this w/ him from my own perspective. My own bottle is full of it's own fizz that represent all the hell I went through during my own adventures in school.

The process of me going to school, gaining experience, earning a degree, getting a job - It's all part of the process of letting that fizz out, slowly releasing that built up energy and using it as a positive motivator.

The day that bottle will be empty will be the day I can say with confidince that I can survive on my own and I can go up to the people in my life who have caused me grief and tell them that I made despite what they said and did.

With that in mind, I think jman, that you need to do something similar - taking all that negative energy and use it as positive motivation.

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2005, 3:40 am

Jman,

By the end of your post you started sounding pretty bad. You should try to remind yourself that you are STILL able to be productive just like any of the NTs out there. Being different than the norm is not a prision sentence!

If you think AS is bad, try complaining about it to the conjoined twin who's brother is gay and they share the same anus, and his brother's boyfriend is coming over.

The intent of my message is to be encouraging . . . despite the fact that it is rather lame.

-Keith

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2005, 3:46 am

Jman, you said that you felt self-confident before you started reading about autism and accepting your diagnosis. Yes, it's hard finding out that you're different from others but you are the same person you were before your dianosis. Everything you felt capable of didn't all the sudden disappear just because of some label. That's all autism is, a label, a way of describing how your brain functions. It doesn't define who you are as a person any more than having blue or brown eyes.

I also found out, not too long ago about my Asperger's syndrome. Although it was a relief that I finally knew why I wasn't like everyone else and that my being an outcast wasn't my fault, I realized I may never be able to control some of my odd traits. But now, I don't come down hard on myself like I used to and couldn't care less whether others accept me or not.

The bullying we go through is indicative of society's failures, not our's and like Scoots said, sometimes we have to heal from the wounds inflicted by others and use the strength we obviously had during those times for when we start making our way in the world. And don't think you're limited because of autism. You're only as limited as you let yourself be.

Nirrti

jman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2005, 7:08 am

Everything you're all saying so true. I already knew all of it deep down. Last night I was in a really crazy mood. I wasn't depressed, but at the same time I hated myself. It felt so unreal. I felt so unreal I had to do something about it.....

I cut the upper part of my arm to stop the numbness and derealization. Everyone's gonna notice it at work now. Im sorry guys. :(

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2005, 8:08 am

I am fortante to be blessed with a serenity that allows me to accept what is, is. I haven't exactly had a easy past, but what I try to focus on is what I do have, and make the most of it that I can.

To use a very cliche statement, when life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2005, 9:40 am

Jman, I have felt a similar decrease in confidence since I learned about AS. I know I am the same person and I am capable of great things, but now I can't ignore the things that I am incapable of.
But there is no reason to blame or punish yourself. Quite the opposite.
I find that being around people now just makes me very sad.
When I can be alone to pursue the things I love, then my life is very happy. I try to keep this in mind, when things seem really bad.

It's like being at a dance, with a broken leg, and everyone won't leave me alone, they keep trying to make me dance. But eventually I'll find some time to sit down and take it easy, and my leg won't hurt so bad.

Sanityisoverrated
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2005, 9:53 am

Jman, you sound like you need a hug.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2005, 9:59 am

jman wrote:
I tell only people who I am close with about my DX. For two reasons:

1. Ignorance: Not too many people have heard about AS, and then when you tell them it'sa form autism people start thinking even less of you.

2. Dignity: Cuase of the ignorance I feel my dignity has been damaged. Founding out I had AS I think was a very traumatizing event.

I was in denial for many years.....

I was 11 or 12 when parents first told me I was autisitc, I didn't beleive them for two reasons:

1. I once saw an autistiic kid and all he did was frail his arms and scream in frustration all day.(LFA)

2. I was in special ed for 1-5 grade but after I was tottally mainstreamed. How could I be autistic if I able to function like the rest of kids???

But I wasn't functioning like the rest of the kids, I had a very few friends, everyone thought I was either ret*d or crazy or some kind of freak.

Then at age of 16 I start reading about AS/autism and that was the nail in the coffin right there...

Thinking about all this makes me want to cut myself. Im not going to kill myself, I just want to deal with this. I need a way to punish myself for being the way I am. I really hate myself. :-(

Finding out that you fit the bill for something you don't want to be doesn't change who you are or who you were. If you're smart, normal, and and competant, then that's still there, in spite of the AS. You're not less of a person because you suddenly realized you're at a disadvantage; you're a stronger person for working through that disadvantage so well that you couldn't believe you even had it.

You don't need to be punished for something that's built-in, you need to take care of yourself and remember that you're not a different person than you were before. I've had problems with cutting too, and believe me, I know how THAT feels too, and that's what worries me the most about your post, because that IS something you can train yourself out of someday. And it's damn hard, but possible.

Anyway, take care of yourself. I know you won't believe this right now, but having AS doesn't bar you from having a full life. It doesn't even limit you from having a "typical" life if that's what you want- a house, 2.5 kids, a dog, two cats in the yard, etc. etc. In fact, I've found that I'm extremely goal-driven and I think the AS is actually helping me to push toward the life and career I want. Try hanging out here a bit and seeing that some people with AS- a lot of us- can live pretty decent and happy lives. There is hope!! !

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2005, 10:54 am

Jman:

Could it have something to do with the young lady you can't stop thinking about?

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2005, 11:06 am

No need to be sorry, jman. You did what you needed to do to get though the night.

self harm is a hard thing. It works so well and is so additive. I found a good website for people struggling with self harm. Most of them are cutters, but not all. One of the stickly threads is ideas for healthier alternatives. I particularly like smashing ice against the sidewalk. I'll PM you the site and you can visit it is you feel like it.

I hope today is going better for you.

BeeBee

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2005, 11:08 am

larsenjw92286 wrote:
Jman:

Could it have something to do with the young lady you can't stop thinking about?

Really good point.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2005, 12:24 pm

Exactly, it just might be, BeeBee.

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2005, 12:26 pm

Dignity is not something I have much(or any) of, due to past experiences.

jman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2005, 3:50 pm

No it had nothing to do with that girl...It was all implications of AS

for example:

I see the girls talking and flirting with my male co workers and not with me :-(

also everyone getting invited to parties and not me :-(

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2005, 7:41 pm

Quote:
I see the girls talking and flirting with my male co workers and not with me

That happens to me all the time. But Vice versa the male female thing.

Try not to let it bug you.. half the people flirting are probably dicks anyway.

I have actually been the opposite of jman. Bullying and constant harassment when I was younger has made me stronger, if there's one way to feel better, try telling yourself how you would no longer take s**t from the people that made you miserable so many years ago.

Having AS hasn't really affected my self esteem at all.. But I have to admit, I just know what the cause is now for some of my behaviour and that of others.