Announcement: I am now a medical marijuana patient

Page 4 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 12:41 am

I say allergies are the only dangerous side because it's a flower, it's gonna produce some histamine reactions. They vary but especially considering most people just smoke it, they're quite minor; I have middling reactions so I just stick to concentrates (hash & custom glass for it) but I can still go take a 20 mile bike ride after smoking ganja all day, easy enough.

I've found hallucinogens beneficial too but not so much the ones most people would prefer. Herbalism could be a lifetime of study so I stick with what I've found the most uses for. I've had all kinds of trips that enriched my life, I just shouldn't necessarily repeat them.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 2:00 am

cberg wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
My thing is I don't care if you use marijuana or not - you're a grown man, right? I don't want other Aspies to think that marijuana is a cure for their AS symptoms because then they may make a quick uninformed decision just from reading threads such as this one and then get themselves into some real trouble. (I'm talking about the younger more impressionable ones.) And when someone says they use it to get high, then to me it sounds like you really aren't using the drug to help your AS symptoms, it's being used as a recreational drug. I'm not just singling out marijuana either, I believe alcohol is just as bad and also any benzos as they are extremely addictive. If benzos are used, it should be only for a short duration of a couple weeks. I was actually one time put on depakote (a drug for seizures) and it was also used as a mood stabilizer. I was on it for about 2 yrs and it completely got rid of all my panic attacks entirely and I went without a panic attack for over 10 yrs - it's just lately with this pneumonia that they are resurfacing again probably because of the shortness of breath and the albuterol treatments and me not being able to exercise.

Back on Aspie Central they were even trying to get me to go along with LSD as a way to help AS symptoms. C'mon. I'm not crazy, but I did go into it with an open mind and actually read some articles where LSD is being used in other countries with autistic children with good results, BUT that is autistic children and not Asperger's. They were using the drug to try to communicate with the kids who had no way of communicating and were off in their own world. I believe they stopped the studies though if I remember correctly. There is no way that I'm ever going to believe there is a good reason for someone with HFA to use LSD.

Anybody who uses them has to be careful with hallucinogens. Those are a gamble, but unless you're violently allergic there's nothing dangerous about marijuana save for police. LSD is an exotropic lysergamide, elevated endotropic lysergamides in the brain are strong candidates for the root of visual thinking as far as ASD is concerned.

If I hadn't started with marijuana early, if I'm really honest, the academic stresses easily could've killed me and it's not like I'm under any less pressure professionally. You want to guilt trip kids over smoking weed? Fine, good for you I suppose. Whatever keeps your anxiety down, just don't get anybody thrown in jail over it, especially not those of us who value our psyches as we were given them, as long as you're willing to ingest ANYTHING synthetic and psychoactive.

I didn't understand a thing you just said.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 2:17 am

Grue wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
This is why it's still illegal.

My brother, I just found out, is on FMLA for anxiety. Hasn't worked for several months - works for the postal service. He didn't go the marijuana route, but instead he's gone the alcohol route and popping prescription meds of Xanax and klonopin. My sister-in-law said he's drinking a lot. He keeps complaining of extreme anxiety. What he doesn't understand is the rebound effect of the alcohol and benzos in regards to sleep and anxiety. We'll be lucky if he doesn't kill himself accidentally from an overdose.

I also have anxiety problems and social problems evidently, otherwise I would be going out on dates and married by now. I haven't been on a date either in several years. Have minimal friends - 3. I, however, could not go the marijuana route because I actually don't believe it's good for one's health and I also have a job which I would lose (along with my nurse's license) if I got drug tested. So I also believe in only the medical uses that its been designated for.

I've been trying to find out how marijuana helps for Aspergers. How has it helped you specifically?

Your last question first:

Being an aspie and I don't know how many other see this in themselves but when I'm in a situation where I'm meeting with people on a personal level, I'm intimidated, self-conscious, nervous, anxious; what I say in a conversation isn't worth them hearing what I have to say. I feel inferior like these people have their stuff together right and they're able to interact they way to Lego bricks do. Others can sense my tension and they do one of two things; reach out to see if they can't coax me into some conversation that'll open me up or to see if I'm okay. That's what pisses me off. When people constantly ask the uncomfortable-looking one at a gathering, "are you okay, sweetie?" I'm like, "yes, I'm fine, just go away"

Took one hit off someone's bowl. Bam. Conversation, jokes, anecdotes, remembrances, it all comes flowing out as if I was a clogged drain but cannabis was the draino.

As for, "that's why it's still illegal"..

Just because a medicine has a good side-effect doesn't make it a bad drug. There's nothing that says that a drug's side-effects be as unpleasant sounding as anal leakage and bleeding. Marijuana, when taken correctly and responsibly and mindfully has very few if any side-effects other than superficial things like dry mouth, increased hunger and drowsiness. Have you heard the side-effects of medications they're marketing on TV? They're worse than the symptoms you're trying to treat!

If there was a strain of weed out there that would allow me to be as clear-headed as I am now and not feel intoxicated but help out with my ADHD and Aspergers, I'd take it for school for sure but the feel-good component is important in stressful or anxious situations where you don't want to feel like you're in the spotlight and your zipper is open or you have TP on your shoe.

When I'm high, I feel like I don't and can't be bothered with what others think of me. I learned to be open and honest about my sexuality, my likes, dislikes, I can talk at length about any subject I consider myself an expert on and not feel judged. Sure, if my zipper is open and a nut is showing, yeah, I'll zipper up because it's making someone else uncomfortable.

Anyway, that's my take on it from my admittedly limited experience with cannabis.

I can understand about what you said - using it for a social situation, but when people say they are getting high A LOT, that says they aren't using it for the purpose they intended to use it for. To me, that's no better than an alcoholic. You can't perform a job when you're high, or drive a car or do anything else that takes responsibility. And it's illegal. And if it is legal in one's state that doesn't mean your employer wants you using it. Most reputable companies drug test and marijuana stays in the system at least 30 days.

You know, I read this one thing a long time ago that was about this study that had been done on alcohol and if it really does help people to be more social. What they found out is the ones that were given a placebo of what they thought was alcohol acted just as social as the ones who received alcohol. I wonder if the same outcome would happen with a marijuana study? :?

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 2:35 am

What kind of reputable company coerces its' employees to breach medical confidentiality?! Certainly nobody I work with.
:( :shameonyou: :scratch: :pale: :huh: :lmao: :hmph: :shrug:

I didn't understand a thing you just said. The difference with me is that I tried, I guess contrary to your user name you don't want to read into medical terminology.

Last edited by cberg on 16 Sep 2015, 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 2:42 am

nurseangela wrote:
I can understand about what you said - using it for a social situation, but when people say they are getting high A LOT, that says they aren't using it for the purpose they intended to use it for. To me, that's no better than an alcoholic. You can't perform a job when you're high, or drive a car or do anything else that takes responsibility. And it's illegal. And if it is legal in one's state that doesn't mean your employer wants you using it. Most reputable companies drug test and marijuana stays in the system at least 30 days.

I never said I'd drive to work at 7AM stoned out of my mind :roll: seriously, do you really believe all that? Care to substantiate it with your own experiences? Seems to me all those laws were written by people with absolutely no idea what they were banning, I don't forget a decade of practice in my craft just because I lit a joint, I forget all this BS. You're even wrong about the metabolite half-lives; I can detox entirely in 3-4 days with normal exercise, there's just no reason to.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 2:48 am

^^
lol, previously in this thread she said "I don't know anything about this stuff". And now she's preaching about it(of course) :roll:

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 6:05 am

Grue wrote:
Well, hemlock grows naturally. Nightshade and foxglove grows naturally. Mercury occurs naturally so does cyanide. Appeal to nature; not the best argument.

This is true. Which is why it's best to not use them.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 6:20 am

nurseangela wrote:

You know, I read this one thing a long time ago that was about this study that had been done on alcohol and if it really does help people to be more social. What they found out is the ones that were given a placebo of what they thought was alcohol acted just as social as the ones who received alcohol. I wonder if the same outcome would happen with a marijuana study? :?

I never said I intended to use it for anything other than getting high. Originally I said I started when I was 17, like may people just looking to get high. I discovered it helped with alot more. So it was an accident. I didn't go looking for medicine, just escape. I am an escapist by nature, whether thats a good or bad thing I do not know, but it's what I am.

And Ive gotten high at every single job Ive ever had and done better while high then while not- because of the stated caring. I really don't give a damn about my employer or what they want or what's good for them. They are there to be used just like they use me. So getting a little high helps me get into my job and concentrate. I had one employer who would send me out to smoke when they knew I didnt beforehand because they could tell by my negative attitude and poor performance. And I've never worked a job with regular drug tests, only a entry one. I'd never work a job with regular drug tests because that would not be worth it for me. The way I see it is if they are that tight assed about it, It's probably not the only thing they are. That's not for me.

And it's far, far better than an alcoholic because it does not impact you in nearly the same way. As someone who's done plenty of both, this is basically indisputable and would be backed up why anyone with comparable experience with both. You can do anything high that you can do normally. I do it usually even a little better because of all the negative aspects of my mind that it quiets. Maybe some people cannot, this I do not know. But I know what I am capable of. With all due respect that statement about not being able to do anything that takes responsibility is clearly spoken from ignorance and assumptions. It is simply not correct.

And legality is not something that prevents me from doing what I want. I just have to try not to get caught. I am not slave to laws, especially stupid ones.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 6:29 am

Venger wrote:
^^
lol, previously in this thread she said "I don't know anything about this stuff". And now she's preaching about it(of course) :roll:

Nah I don't think she was preaching, just expressing her views on it. It just so happens she does not have sufficient experience to fully know what she's talking about and is probably expressing it from a medical perspective. Truth is the medical field doesn't know much about it either. Everything we've ever been taught about MJ is from the one-sided DARE/"drugs are bad" mentality. I can;t blame someone for having this view if they are reasonable about it. But it annoys the hell out of me when I have to live a lower quality of life because of it.

Also, we're all a product of our experiences. She's obviously experienced drug abuse first hand in her family and has formed an opinion partially based upon that. It's incorrect in my opinion, but understandable.

And my experiences are that MJ is extremely helpful, fun and relaxing. Everyone in my family smokes. We smoke at our family gatherings. It's a good time for all.

But I could discuss/argue weed for days so I digress. Im writing a friggin book here. I just love the stuff what do you want from me?

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 7:26 am

^^
Maybe I just said that since my mom's also a nurse, and she sounds a bit like someones mom.

ASPickle
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Sep 2015, 1:05 pm

nurseangela wrote:
My thing is I don't care if you use marijuana or not - you're a grown man, right? I don't want other Aspies to think that marijuana is a cure for their AS symptoms because then they may make a quick uninformed decision just from reading threads such as this one and then get themselves into some real trouble. (I'm talking about the younger more impressionable ones.)

That's a fair point. Though, I'd like to think that there are plenty of other threads here that cover the same subject and show that there are as many variations of MMJ effects as there are variations of ASD. I might be too optimistic, but I'd like to think those Aspies looking into MMJ as a solution have done multiple searches to get the best info available, or at least a plethora of opinions on its efficacy.

In this thread alone, I've seen someone talk about how indica strains really help with their symptoms. For me, indica strains don't help in the least. High-CBD sativa dominant hybrids work best for alleviating my anxiety, for instance. But again, this variance on efficacy is to be expected with the variance along the spectrum.

It should be allowed for Autistics to experiment with different MMJ strains and find what works best for them without legal repercussions. If you fall back on its federal legal status, you are truly not arguing on merit and have already lost said argument. You are basically saying the U.S. government was correct to overreact to racist stereotypes and put marijuana as a Schedule I drug, regardless of any facts or merits whatsoever.

Grue
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Sep 2015, 1:16 pm

Cannabis is like anything else you can do recreationally. You can have sex recreationally, you can exercise, you can cook, walk, bike, watch TV, play video games, drink, smoke, inject, vape, dab...and still over do it.

Yeah, I love getting high. Doesn't mean it isn't without its benefits. Yeah, I have a much easier time of getting along with my peers while high. Some people are better socially in furry costumes as an example. So if that happens to get them off while being able to maintain friendships and a healthy work ethic, let him or her or them be furries.

I'm a fan of my medicine. I'm a stoner who likes his medicine.

I love the way I think when I'm stoned. I could be stoned 24/7 if I had anything to say about it. I may just might for a week to see what that's like!

I must have some friends in DC or Colorado or even Vansterdam (hint - looking at you big mouth! :heart: )

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 1:27 pm

Unless it were a matter or STRONG edibles, I'm not really sure how one would conduct a placebo study on marijuana - terpenes, the compounds responsible for the taste and smell have a lot of sorta Pavlovian effects on the overall feel of a given strain or extraction. Removing too many can leave the properties a bit 'one sided', though it does result in clearance sales on hash oil. :lol: Also, I really wouldn't say it makes me more social, more often than not marijuana' just a ritual that goes with homework or nature for me.

@nurseangela: please just look up cannabidiol. If you tried a good extraction of that, you probably would ONLY experience the physiological/relaxant effects and little to none of the high you view as so dangerous.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 6:48 pm

It would be interesting to know the effects of things other than THC that are in MJ, like CBD, on ASD. I gather that CBD doesn't make you high (or does it?) and has positive effects for on various conditions.

Grue
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Sep 2015, 7:01 pm

CBD does not make you high or so I've read. I've also read that it can kind of give you sensations you might have while high without the actual quintessential high you feel from THC.

That having been said, having a high CBD content in your cannabis when you consume it in such a way as to deliver both THC and CBD, you'd get a much more even high. It serves, at least in part to mitigate THC's harsher effects. It also has reported anti-inflammatory properties as well as some brain function benefits for epilepsy and palsy, sclerosis and ataxia conditions.

I asked my budtender at my dispensary about its effects on aspergers and adhd. He wasn't aware of any benefits of someone with those conditions having any appreciable benefits.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 7:21 pm

The benefits for me are vastly improved quality of sleep and thus enough energy for work and exercise. Without it my sleep paralysis sporadically returns which is NOT fun.