Is it common for other aspies to daydream and fantasize?

Page 2 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2016, 11:33 pm

SunsetColors wrote:
About fictional worlds I like such as movies or with musicians or being a rock star or having funny or loving or deep conversations with friends I have, ect.

I fantasize about that kind of stuff all the time.

Nightingale121
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2016, 7:14 am

SunsetColors wrote:
About fictional worlds I like such as movies or with musicians or being a rock star or having funny or loving or deep conversations with friends I have, etc.

I do that a lot.

curiouscat1993 wrote:
I fantasize and daydream a lot especially when I'm out in the streets.

That's the most common thing for me to do when I am walking outside. I really enjoy it. The only bad thing is that it makes me very ignorant about my environment, so people get angry when I don't realize/recognize and greet them.

TheAP wrote:
I also daydream and fantasize a lot. I make up characters and scenarios and "worlds" relating to my interests. I also make up scenarios with people I like or am obsessing over.

Oh yes, when I am not making dialogues or scenarios about people I know I am doing it with stuff relating to my interests, but that doesn't only include for example dialogues with fictional characters, but also general thoughts about my interests.

QuillAlba wrote:
Do you whisper the dialogues? I do.

I don't usually do that, the dialogues are only in my head, but I tend to do facial expressions and hand gestures relating to the dialogues in my head.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2016, 10:16 am

curiouscat1993 wrote:
I do that a lot too, in fact there have been streets I have passed that I remember for something I daydreamed when I walked there! I'm not kidding.
TheAP wrote:
I make up characters and scenarios and "worlds" relating to my interests. I also make up scenarios with people I like or am obsessing over.
I also do that, especially the first part. For the second part, it tends to go with the first part if real people are part of it. For instance when I had an obsession about the military, a neighbour who was in the Army became part of a lot of my daydreams.
Nightingale121 wrote:
QuillAlba wrote:

I don't usually do that, the dialogues are only in my head, but I tend to do facial expressions and hand gestures relating to the dialogues in my head.
I never say daydream dialogues out loud either, but I too tend to do facial expressions and the like. I have tried to control it but I know I slip. I think I actually tend to show more facial expressions when I'm daydreaming than when I am talking to someone.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Gaara
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Mar 2016, 10:56 am

I do it all the time, the world in my heads tends to be a far better place then reality. People keep telling me its not good for me though, don't see what's so wrong about it.

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2016, 12:22 pm

I shouldn't have used the word 'whisper', I actually meant moving my face as if I was talking, but with no audible component , perhaps mouthing the words would be more accurate.
It's one of those things I don't realise I'm doing, then I realise and I cringe inside incase I was seen.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2016, 12:28 pm

^^There's nothing wrong with that, as long as you don't daydream too much. Everything in moderation. :)

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

markrh13
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Mar 2016, 7:10 pm

+1 to the daydreaming crew lol! A lot of the time if I know I will have to have a specific conversation about something with someone, I find I will end up imagining how it will go over and over in my mind first, slightly different each time - almost as if I'm rehearsing for every possible outcome ahead of time.
Another very common one for me, as a guitar-aholic, is that any time I hear a bit of music that I like, I will immediately move into almost a 'virtual reality' in my head, where I have a guitar to hand and can work that bit of music out. Or else, I will have just created the music in my head in the first place too (like a stage 1 daydream) and then really like what I've come up with, so then I do the VR guitar thing (stage 2) to work it out so I can remember it better for later.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2016, 1:21 am

When I was a child, I was a HUGE daydreamer to the point, one of my teachers thought I was deaf. I wasn't deaf. I just wasn't present. I used to like to look out the window and my mind would be somewhere else.

These days, I still daydream but mostly, I just find my mind ambles along thinking about whatever comes it's way and my thoughts just run off by themselves. I come up with some good things and solutions to things this way. I don't force my thoughts. It's just like free falling and things/thoughts come and go. It's a very relaxing state to be in.

Sometimes, my mind is just blank. No thoughts at all and I find that very relaxing as well.

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

Nightingale121
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2016, 4:21 am

Skilpadde wrote:
curiouscat1993 wrote:
I do that a lot too, in fact there have been streets I have passed that I remember for something I daydreamed when I walked there! I'm not kidding.
I also remember some streets this way. It often happens that when I walk that street again I remember what I daydreamed there and then continue with that scenario or create a new variation of the daydream I had there before.

Skilpadde wrote:
Nightingale121 wrote:
QuillAlba wrote:

I never say daydream dialogues out loud either, but I too tend to do facial expressions and the like. I have tried to control it but I know I slip. I think I actually tend to show more facial expressions when I'm daydreaming than when I am talking to someone.
Yes, it's difficult to control it for me too. I think in comparison to my facial expressions during normal conversations my facial expressions during daydreams tend to be a bit more exaggerated, but I'm not totally sure, it just feels like that.

markrh13 wrote:
+1 to the daydreaming crew lol! A lot of the time if I know I will have to have a specific conversation about something with someone, I find I will end up imagining how it will go over and over in my mind first, slightly different each time - almost as if I'm rehearsing for every possible outcome ahead of time.
Rehearsing social situations and future conversations also is a part of my daydreaming, but for me it's somehow different. When I do my usual daydreaming it's just for fun and for myself. But when I have a conversation to make and I rehearse that, it's more like preparing for something and to plan a good outcome. It's rather something I do automatically to reduce stress before the conversation instead of just fantasizing for myself.

markrh13 wrote:
Another very common one for me, as a guitar-aholic, is that any time I hear a bit of music that I like, I will immediately move into almost a 'virtual reality' in my head, where I have a guitar to hand and can work that bit of music out. Or else, I will have just created the music in my head in the first place too (like a stage 1 daydream) and then really like what I've come up with, so then I do the VR guitar thing (stage 2) to work it out so I can remember it better for later.
As a musician I also do that. I often play music in my head with an instrument after listening to something or while I am imagining new melodies. I sometimes have an imaginary piano in front of me to play a melody and according to what I play in my head I move my fingers on my leg or on the table, imagining where the different keys would be.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2016, 1:07 pm

Nightingale121 wrote:
Yes, it's difficult to control it for me too. I think in comparison to my facial expressions during normal conversations my facial expressions during daydreams tend to be a bit more exaggerated, but I'm not totally sure, it just feels like that.
Yes, that's what it feels like for me too. Well, at least I've come some way since my childhood, where to some degree I would act them out.

Nightingale121 wrote:
markrh13 wrote:
Rehearsing social situations and future conversations also is a part of my daydreaming, but for me it's somehow different. When I do my usual daydreaming it's just for fun and for myself. But when I have a conversation to make and I rehearse that, it's more like preparing for something and to plan a good outcome. It's rather something I do automatically to reduce stress before the conversation instead of just fantasizing for myself.

It's the same for me. I don't count that as daydreaming as it's coping mechanism, and as much as it's away to prepare, there is nothing enjoyable about it.

i once skimmed through an article about maladaptive daydreaming where it said it could be used as a strength, in order to prepare for daily tasks. As if! They're not the same at all.
Nightingale121 wrote:
markrh13 wrote:
As a musician I also do that. I often play music in my head with an instrument after listening to something or while I am imagining new melodies. I sometimes have an imaginary piano in front of me to play a melody and according to what I play in my head I move my fingers on my leg or on the table, imagining where the different keys would be.
That's a pretty amazing ability you two have. I've never been able to visualize like that.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2016, 1:18 pm

I can see sound as different coloured light when I close my eyes.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2016, 2:01 pm

I'm constantly daydreaming and fantasizing. I've been often told that I seem to be in "my own little world" and I have many alternate universes in my head.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2016, 3:31 pm

Kuraudo777 wrote:
I can see sound as different coloured light when I close my eyes.

you are SO fortunate! :star:

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2016, 4:11 pm

^I am? Are you interested? I can try to describe what some sounds look like. :) Not surprisingly, the sound of dentist drills are harsh red light. People talking looks like many varying forms of light, and if people are worried or upset, it's sort of confused grey. Running water is usually white-light blue. If I get hurt for whatever reason and close my eyes, the pain looks like red and blue fireworks. Clock ticking looks like something pulsing, and I don't like it one bit. Any requests? :)

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2016, 9:11 am

EzraS wrote:
SunsetColors wrote:
About fictional worlds I like such as movies or with musicians or being a rock star or having funny or loving or deep conversations with friends I have, ect.

I fantasize about that kind of stuff all the time.

I fantasize about my 'imaginary', friends like that.

tatals
Raven
Raven

14 Mar 2016, 12:01 pm

Nightingale121 wrote:
curiouscat1993 wrote:

That's the most common thing for me to do when I am walking outside. I really enjoy it. The only bad thing is that it makes me very ignorant about my environment, so people get angry when I don't realize/recognize and greet them.

That happens to me a lot.