Do you feel like the odd one out on Wrong Planet?

Page 6 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2018, 7:27 am

I feel like an odd one sometimes because I'm extroverted. I like people and talking to them. I crave social interactions. Doesn't mean I'm not awkward and make social blunders all the time, of course. Sometimes I'm a bit pushy with socializing and acquire everyone's phone number quickly so I can start texting them. I don't know what NTs think about me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2018, 11:01 am

They probably think you’re cool if you don’t get mad at them if they don’t text you.

savavdpeas
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Mar 2018, 11:25 am

Yes.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2018, 2:02 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
People in the West Indies tend to be communal people, rather than people who value individuality.

She's fine in other ways; but she's always trying to browbeat me because she feels I lack "focus."

She always says, "Can't you get your head out of that tablet for even a moment?"

Oh, friend Kraftie, she doesn't feel you lack focus "per se" ; she feels you're not focusing on her, on some occasions when she'd like you to. That's why she comments about your being online - she'd like your attention for herself at that moment, but if she's NT she's been doubly socialized (NT and female) never to say that in so many words.

I'm not criticizing her, this kind of training runs deep and starts before we even learn speech.

What does she do when you log out and turn the device off and tell her "OK, here I am"? (Not really asking; that's between the two of you :-) ).

Hugs to you both. (Edit in: this has the potential to be a threadjack, which wouldn't be fair especially with the thread topic being what it is. I'm fine with chatting about this on another thread (like the "what's on your mind" one).

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2018, 3:27 pm

Esme: she just doesn’t think it’s “normal.”

She obsessively plays Solitaire on her tablet.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2018, 4:26 pm

I would play "solitaire" if it would get some work done.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2018, 4:30 pm

It's sort of a relaxation thing for her.

I feel like the "odd man out" in the relationship sometimes.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2018, 9:19 pm

Not every self-ID'ed person is married, works, has friends, etc. (i.e. me). And, I hope people aren't seeing those who do manage those things and automatically assuming that they're not professionally dx'ed.

I just read a thread that (in part) sounded like, "if you aren't succeeding then it's all your fault." (The person saying that was dx'ed officially, BTW.) That has to discourage at least some people from posting about such 'basic' problems. Maybe there's always a "tyranny of the successful" in any group of humans?

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2018, 9:33 pm

Gazelle wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
Gazelle wrote:
Yes, but I often feel like the odd one out in general. Partly due to neurological differences, NVLD, and always the new kid since move every few years growing up and moved around as adult ( it’s all I know) and if live somewhere more than 3 Years it’s home:)

I wonder if 'always the new kid' is beneficial or a hindrance if you are on the spectrum?

”Always the new kid” has pros and cons. Didn’t know I had NVLD until an adult and so if it I didn’t move around every few years growing school and socializing as a kid wouldn’t have been a cake walk.

I feel the same way , i was the new kid a lot and I think it helped me blend , i think new kids get a grace period

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2018, 9:51 pm

I feel like I actually relate to some of the people on this forum, in ways I've never had in common with anyone before (at least that I was aware of).
And, in a number of ways, there are people here that I don't feel I have anything in common with, really. And a few I think I'd rather not have anything to do with at all. As well as a good number of people that I like, admire, respect...
I do still feel a bit like an outsider. Part of that is just me, my experiences, my problems, etc.
But I DO actually belong here. Regardless of how I or anyone else may feel about it, and it has started to feel more comfortable.
There are some good sticky threads around the forum. Some of them pretty eye opening. Some of them have really helped me.
I hope this post doesn't come across the wrong way. I've tried to reply to this thread several times and just keep getting lost while trying to write it.
Not doing my best right now.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2018, 11:39 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
Not every self-ID'ed person is married, works, has friends, etc. (i.e. me). And, I hope people aren't seeing those who do manage those things and automatically assuming that they're not professionally dx'ed. I just read a thread that (in part) sounded like, "if you aren't succeeding then it's all your fault." (The person saying that was dx'ed officially, BTW.) That has to discourage at least some people from posting about such 'basic' problems. Maybe there's always a "tyranny of the successful" in any group of humans?

no matter where you go, there is always gonna be a hierarchy of some kind, damned no-good human nature at work everywhere. :| the tyrannical successful full-of-themselves ones you can find places around here, are inescapable, they are everywhere but they tend to gravitate towards quasi-cloistered places where they can be "the big fish in a little pond" or "the big man on a little campus." and IMHO, anybody who would say such a cruel and ableist thing is deserving of the most profound oblivion. don't pay those people any mind, it only encourages them. it makes me mad just to think about it. :x

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2018, 10:14 am

^ Hear, hear!

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Ants
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Mar 2018, 2:07 pm

bethannny wrote:
It seems most people on this site are very high functioning and quite a few are employed, have families and are self diagnosed. That just seems somewhat I don't know... alienating to me.

I suppose its the diversity of humans mate. We're all different no matter how similar some of us here might be.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2018, 4:51 pm

I consider myself to be "moderate-functioning Asperger's" meaning that I'm still able to (mostly) live independently and work (with significant accommodations), but it's pretty obvious from interacting with me briefly that there's something different about me. I was diagnosed late too, at 21. My mom suspected autism from the time I was eight or nine, but didn't bother to pursue a diagnosis because she thought she knew what she was doing. I do sometimes feel a little alienated because a lot of my symptoms (stimming, meltdowns, social skills, etc.) seem considerably worse than others here, based on what people write.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2018, 5:57 pm

All the time. That's why I only post once in a blue moon.

smudgedhorizon
Toucan
Toucan

15 Mar 2018, 6:09 pm

That's complicated :mrgreen: