Robbie Williams thinks he’s an Aspie

Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 8:45 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:

Similar to what ASPartOfMe said, it's difficult when you don't know you're on the spectrum, and everyone in your life accuses you of being lazy, or "not trying hard enough", and you can't understand why everyone else makes it look so easy.

And then if you do figure it out and you want to share iit you get an additional “diagnosis” of being a prima donna.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 30 Jun 2018, 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 9:41 am

strings wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
There is not to many others that have looked at Hans Asperger closely. Steve Silberman whose book enhanced the idea of Hans Asperger as quitly undercutting the Nazi’s approved both of the new works as did Simon Baron Cohen. I have posted positive reviews of Edith Sheffer’s book by òther historians in the thread about the book.

Yes, I did see an article by Simon Baron-Cohen, Steve Silberman and others. Fair enough.

I'm still not entirely convinced about how one should view events of long ago, with the benefit of hindsight. What about Wernher von Braun, for example? Undoubtedly during the war he worked for the nazis on developing rockets whose purpose was the of killing innocent civilians. And yet afterwards, in the USA, he played a pivotal role in developing the rockets that took men to the moon. I can admire him and even honor him for his technical skill that enabled him to do that. It was a different age, and a different society, when he built the V2.

If we rooted out all the people from the past who had any character flaws or who, with the benefit of hindsight, engaged in any questionable activities, I wonder what would be left.

There is a big difference between Hans Asperger and Warner Von Braun. Von Braun was a full member of the Nazi party and later joined the SS during the war. (There is a photo of him in an SS uniform when Himmler visited Peelemunde to prove this point.) He held the rank that would be equivalent to a Major. If it was not for Operation Paperclip, he would have likely been tried for war crimes tied to the V2 rocket program. Asperger did work with the Nazis, but was not a full member of their party from what I have seen. He was not on the radar for war crimes after the war. While he likely sent children to their deaths due to his diagnosis, he did not work on technology to directly kill other people at a level like Von Braun did. Both can be seen as evil, but one has much stronger overtones than the other.

One of my good friends has a family connection to Von Braun:

She had a step father who personally worked with Von Braun back in the early stages of NASA. Before her step father died a decade ago, he told my friend that he personally thought Von Braun was likely guilty of war crimes, but they greatly needed Von Braun's technical help to get the rockets into space. America was embroiled with the Cold War and wanted to win at any cost, even if it meant the guilty went free in the process.

After the step father died, the family members were cleaning up his things from the military retirement village and came across a hand-written letter from Von Braun to the step father, that mentioned "he was the smartest American that he had ever worked with". NASA and the Smithsonian had already been there to pick up the old NASA design plans and spaceship models for their museums. They did not deem the letter worth keeping for display as it was personalized and did not contain anything that they thought would be interesting to them. Unfortunately, one of my friend's brothers threw it out in the cleaning out process. It was long gone before my friend realized what had happened to it.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 9:46 am

EzraS wrote:
There's like two different kinds of autism. Those who were diagnosed at an early age (because there was something severely wrong with them) and spend our lives at least semi-institutionalized unable to do many ordinary things on our own. And those who live relatively normal to extraordinary lives who discover Aspergers in their 40's. To me it's like why not Robbie Williams? He seems just as likely a candidate as anyone else.

I disagree about the two types. I was diagnosed at ten, but everyone knew there was something strange about me. Even as an infant I showed signs of being autistic, and more so of SPD. I grew up extremely stubborn and withdrawn, I never made eye contact, hated adults, Had daily meltdowns and drawn out shutdowns. I got lost all the time in school and had trouble understanding speech. I stimmed all the time, and my spd was clear as day. Before Asher and the filter that both came long after diagnosis, I could barely leave my house.

I wan't diagnosed until ten because other than my motor delays that no one noticed, I had no delays and very little speech trouble, and I was very smart other than trouble with math, so I fell under everyone's radar. I was seen as an extremely strong willed, cluzy, strange and withdrawn kid.

If I wasn't diagnosed then I suspect I wouldn't of handled high school and would of dropped out by now, and without asher and the filter moving out would be far less likely than it looks now. Holding a job also doesn't seem likely. In general I wouldn't be doing well. So I don't think it's one or the other.

I agree that it is perfectly possible that he could be autistic- It's not like it's impossible for an autistic guy to pass for NT and succeed in life, for all we know he could of been struggling hard and just masking it.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 12:02 pm

Nothing wrong with thinking there are different levels of autism. After all the manual has them at 1,2 and 3.

The real question is what is the benefit of pushing for a dx if you are borderline level 1 and your life is working fine?

Just my opinion but from what I've seen here of some of the posters in great jobs and satisfying social lives....wtf are they kvetching about?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 1:48 pm

QuantumChemist wrote:
strings wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
There is not to many others that have looked at Hans Asperger closely. Steve Silberman whose book enhanced the idea of Hans Asperger as quitly undercutting the Nazi’s approved both of the new works as did Simon Baron Cohen. I have posted positive reviews of Edith Sheffer’s book by òther historians in the thread about the book.

Yes, I did see an article by Simon Baron-Cohen, Steve Silberman and others. Fair enough.

I'm still not entirely convinced about how one should view events of long ago, with the benefit of hindsight. What about Wernher von Braun, for example? Undoubtedly during the war he worked for the nazis on developing rockets whose purpose was the of killing innocent civilians. And yet afterwards, in the USA, he played a pivotal role in developing the rockets that took men to the moon. I can admire him and even honor him for his technical skill that enabled him to do that. It was a different age, and a different society, when he built the V2.

If we rooted out all the people from the past who had any character flaws or who, with the benefit of hindsight, engaged in any questionable activities, I wonder what would be left.

There is a big difference between Hans Asperger and Warner Von Braun. Von Braun was a full member of the Nazi party and later joined the SS during the war. (There is a photo of him in an SS uniform when Himmler visited Peelemunde to prove this point.) He held the rank that would be equivalent to a Major. If it was not for Operation Paperclip, he would have likely been tried for war crimes tied to the V2 rocket program. Asperger did work with the Nazis, but was not a full member of their party from what I have seen. He was not on the radar for war crimes after the war. While he likely sent children to their deaths due to his diagnosis, he did not work on technology to directly kill other people at a level like Von Braun did. Both can be seen as evil, but one has much stronger overtones than the other.

One of my good friends has a family connection to Von Braun:

She had a step father who personally worked with Von Braun back in the early stages of NASA. Before her step father died a decade ago, he told my friend that he personally thought Von Braun was likely guilty of war crimes, but they greatly needed Von Braun's technical help to get the rockets into space. America was embroiled with the Cold War and wanted to win at any cost, even if it meant the guilty went free in the process.

After the step father died, the family members were cleaning up his things from the military retirement village and came across a hand-written letter from Von Braun to the step father, that mentioned "he was the smartest American that he had ever worked with". NASA and the Smithsonian had already been there to pick up the old NASA design plans and spaceship models for their museums. They did not deem the letter worth keeping for display as it was personalized and did not contain anything that they thought would be interesting to them. Unfortunately, one of my friend's brothers threw it out in the cleaning out process. It was long gone before my friend realized what had happened to it.

Hans Asperper was never a member of the Nazi party which was probably why he was not procescuted unlike the people he worked for. He gained career advancement by sucking up to his bosses and because his older Jewish collegues fled. His Autism diagnosis was informed by Nazi psychiatry ie Autistics did fit into the greater organism the less affected disabled can be useful for society the more disabled need to be killed. He was not a Nazi fanatic or a leading Nazi, he was complicit, a cog in the Nazi machine.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

strings
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jun 2018, 2:17 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
He was not a Nazi fanatic or a leading Nazi, he was complicit, a cog in the Nazi machine.

But couldn't something similar be said of every soldier, every airman, every munitions worker, in the Third Reich? There must be, surely, the concepts of forgiveness, of redemption, of the recognition that the country, the people, and the individual, have moved on? They were maybe put in an impossible position, and they did what was necessary to survive.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 3:45 pm

EzraS wrote:
There's like two different kinds of autism. Those who were diagnosed at an early age (because there was something severely wrong with them) and spend our lives at least semi-institutionalized unable to do many ordinary things on our own. And those who live relatively normal to extraordinary lives who discover Aspergers in their 40's. To me it's like why not Robbie Williams? He seems just as likely a candidate as anyone else.

That is a rather simplistic take on things. There are people like myself who whilst not technically in the 'severe' category were also not living relatively normal/extraordinary lives. There is the fact that some of us, from older generations when info was scarce , came late to finding things that went towards explaining the constellation of symptoms we have . Did that mean we suddenly acquired symptoms in our 40s? No -those things were always there but we just didn't know of terms to hang things on.

Also there is a range of functioning between being institutionalised /semi institutionalised and living independently without support.

I live independently but with support . My latest care plan the other day said I needed that support to ensure I could continue to live independently. A previous report to support a claim for disability benefits said I had limited ability to live independently in the community. I may not be semi institutionalised but neither am I going it alone in terms of coping. I suspect there are many people like me.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2018, 7:14 pm

strings wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
He was not a Nazi fanatic or a leading Nazi, he was complicit, a cog in the Nazi machine.

But couldn't something similar be said of every soldier, every airman, every munitions worker, in the Third Reich? There must be, surely, the concepts of forgiveness, of redemption, of the recognition that the country, the people, and the individual, have moved on? They were maybe put in an impossible position, and they did what was necessary to survive.

Every soldier did not sign children to their death or sit on committees that decided this. Unlike most soldiers, he was not drafted.

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2018, 12:41 am

I wouldn’t be surprised if this is just a simple publicity stunt.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2018, 12:58 am

Arganger wrote:
Before Asher and the filter that both came long after diagnosis, I could barely leave my house.... and without asher and the filter moving out would be far less likely than it looks now.

What does asher and the filter mean?

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2018, 8:23 am

Ezra- you always ask the best questions.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2018, 8:35 am

EzraS wrote:
Arganger wrote:
Before Asher and the filter that both came long after diagnosis, I could barely leave my house.... and without asher and the filter moving out would be far less likely than it looks now.

What does asher and the filter mean?

Asher is my service dog, he gives me sensory relief, a distraction from overload, and a bubble of space in public.

The filter is a device that helps with auditory processing by slowing the speed of one ear to that of the other so that the brain can actually get through the information. Basically, without it my sensitivity to sound is very severe, with it I have no problem.

https://www.ablekidsfoundation.org/cent ... solutions/

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2018, 8:56 am

Arganger wrote:

The filter is a device that helps with auditory processing by slowing the speed of one ear to that of the other so that the brain can actually get through the information. Basically, without it my sensitivity to sound is very severe, with it I have no problem.

That sounds really interesting , does it have a medical name or is it just filter - I would love to try one.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2018, 9:07 am

SaveFerris wrote:
Arganger wrote:

That sounds really interesting , does it have a medical name or is it just filter - I would love to try one.

I have no clue if it has a medical name. The linked place is the only place in the world that makes it right now, and it is rather expensive, but I recommend it especially if auditory sensitivity is the main sensory issue.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2018, 11:53 am

^Thanks :)

Hope it becomes successful and gets marketed worldwide and at a reasonable price.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2018, 2:09 pm

Why does anyone care? Don't know who he is and don't care. It's his life, and between him and his doctors and or therapists. Whether or not he is is none of mine or anyone else's business. He can say what he likes just like anyone else undiagnosed here.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...