Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2005, 7:59 am

http://articles.health.msn.com/id/100109339?GT1=6997

I'm the Rhymin' Red Rover, and that's where I'll be.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2005, 8:44 am

I agree with the general thrust (I could have said theme, but I chose thrust because who doesn't like thrusting?) of this article. Personally, I would be worried about a child who didn't seem a little hyperactive.

Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder is like Asperger's syndrome: a different brain that deviates significantly from the norm. It isn't a worse neurological style to have, but it makes adapting to the social norms more difficult simply because it is not the majority way.

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2005, 9:50 am

In a way though it is easy to see why people with ADHD have less difficulties in social situations, especially if "ADHD traits like empathy, intuition and the ability to motivate and inspire others" is accurate. The intense focus part does sound like AS, but other things such as empathy and intuition are completely foreign, at least to me.

I find this part interesting: "People with ADHD may instead be our most creative individuals, our most extraordinary thinkers, our most brilliant inventors and pioneers..."

It seems like only yesterday the media was saying that about AS. Perhaps we will see ADHD becoming more of a fad and AS will be left to the Aspies.

I'm the Rhymin' Red Rover, and that's where I'll be.

coded
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Sep 2005, 10:40 am

I have always thought an ADHD / AS pairing makes the perfect work team.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2005, 1:13 pm

DeepThought wrote:
In a way though it is easy to see why people with ADHD have less difficulties in social situations, especially if "ADHD traits like empathy, intuition and the ability to motivate and inspire others" is accurate. The intense focus part does sound like AS, but other things such as empathy and intuition are completely foreign, at least to me.

I can relate to all these positive ADHD secondary characteristics except the ability to inspire and motivate others, which I can't even do for myself. I rely on probabilistic intuition all the time in making decisions (in fact, I've been meaning to start a topic about that topic). Sometimes people have called me "nice" or "sweet," which I guess means I'm fairly empathetic, at least sometimes. Remember, though, these positive traits are not part of the diagnostic criteria of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, so they hardly apply to every person with ADHD. Most psychopaths, for example, have comorbid ADHD, Combined Type; but they are hardly empathetic people.

DeepThought wrote:
I find this part interesting: "People with ADHD may instead be our most creative individuals, our most extraordinary thinkers, our most brilliant inventors and pioneers..."

It seems like only yesterday the media was saying that about AS.

Sympathetic reports about Asperger's syndrome claim that we are focused, intelligent (not necessarily creative), and extremely knowledgeable in our fields of expertise.

DeepThought wrote:
Perhaps we will see ADHD becoming more of a fad and AS will be left to the Aspies.

ADD was a fad in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Some cynical pundits claim that Asperger's syndrome is the new ADD.

It may be partially true. My mother has been looking for any label to describe why I am the way I am. Before she heard about Asperger's syndrome, it was ADD in her mind. Before that and concurrently with that, she liked to blame parinatal complications (I was born with a bump on my head from delayed delivery).

DrizzleMan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2005, 3:32 pm

http://www.swedish.org/16875.cfm says that Einstein may have had ADHD. I'm sure I've seen the same about AS... maybe I should come up with another acronym beginning with A and say he had it? AZPLURALZALPHA?

This seems suspicious:

Quote:
An estimated 2 percent to 4 percent of American adults and 3 percent to 7 percent of children have the brain-based disorder

Either people are evolving ADHD, or the disorder 'disappears' in adulthood - but if it's neurological it won't; people will just have better coping mechanisms.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2005, 4:17 pm

DrizzleMan wrote:
http://www.swedish.org/16875.cfm says that Einstein may have had ADHD. I'm sure I've seen the same about AS... maybe I should come up with another acronym beginning with A and say he had it? AZPLURALZALPHA?

Some people also say he had dyslexia.

DrizzleMan wrote:
This seems suspicious:
Quote:
An estimated 2 percent to 4 percent of American adults and 3 percent to 7 percent of children have the brain-based disorder

Either people are evolving ADHD, or the disorder 'disappears' in adulthood - but if it's neurological it won't; people will just have better coping mechanisms.

People shower fewer diagnostic signs (criteria) of ADHD (the hyperkinetic disorders in the ICD-10) as they mature. This is particularly true of the hyperactivity-impulsivity criteria.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2005, 5:08 pm

<------- ADD/ADHD (Depends on my mood really)... I found that almost completely non-informative, I've learned most of this through life experiences. Not to say it's a bad article, it just did nothing for me. This would explain why I'm much more empathetic than people here. I can motivate, I just need to be in a good mood. I've just been reminded to start a thread about something I've noticed in myself. Comorbidities have a way of balancing.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2005, 7:59 pm

DrizzleMan wrote:

The good thing about that article is that it's more balanced and informed than many. Most articles about attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder reiterate the diagnostic criteria in other words. This article also highlights common positive associated features; it also describes how impulsive behavior affects adult men's lives and the lives of those they care about. It also doesn't beat around the bush about negative associated features like moodiness and high comorbidity with antisocial personality, conduct, and substance abuse disorders.