How do you feel about 'The Good Doctor'?

Page 4 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jan 2024, 4:00 pm

Lots of autism characters are overdone. I didn't like the character 'Adam' in the movie of the same name, but do like Max in 'Mary and Max'.

I really like The Good Doctor and will miss it when it finally finishes at the end of season seven.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2024, 8:56 pm

I feel a closer connection to Sgt Schultz. Him and I are more on the same level.

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2024, 10:21 pm

skibum wrote:
I have never seen The Good Doctor because I only get two channels on my tv and the channel it is on is not one of them. But I do like Chicago Med. I am wondering if anyone thinks that the African American chief surgeon character who wears the little skull cap is an Aspie. I think he might be.

Yes, it's been mentioned in the show, more than once. But oddly, I think the neurosurgeon (don't recall his name) comes across as more Aspie.

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2024, 10:30 pm

Anyone read anywhere WHY The Good Doctor is being cancelled? Has it been low in the ratings? I don't want theory. I want the actual information. Are all the writers quitting to do other projects? Does Freddie want out, or what??? I was SO hoping the show would continue for many more years -- I was hoping their son would be a little Autie. Some people here are talking how unrealistic the portrayal of autism is. I agree that someone who could make it thru med school and residency would be able to control meltdowns while on the job and have better social skills, even if masked. But one thing most viewers will not spot: Dr. Glassman's type of brain tumor, the five year survival rate is almost zero, yet he's still going after seven years.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2024, 11:00 am

Elgee wrote:
Anyone read anywhere WHY The Good Doctor is being cancelled? Has it been low in the ratings? I don't want theory. I want the actual information. Are all the writers quitting to do other projects? Does Freddie want out, or what??? I was SO hoping the show would continue for many more years -- I was hoping their son would be a little Autie. Some people here are talking how unrealistic the portrayal of autism is. I agree that someone who could make it thru med school and residency would be able to control meltdowns while on the job and have better social skills, even if masked. But one thing most viewers will not spot: Dr. Glassman's type of brain tumor, the five year survival rate is almost zero, yet he's still going after seven years.

A lot of Prime Time shows are getting canceled..

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2024, 11:07 am

Elgee wrote:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/monicamerc ... -season-7/

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jan 2024, 5:50 pm

DanielW wrote:
Elgee wrote:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/monicamerc ... -season-7/

They don't say WHY, though; only who's making the dumb decision. "The show has run its course" has been used as a "reason" for past cancellations, even though a show is still doing good in the ratings. Such a vague answer is not a true answer. On the flipside, Law & Order: SVU has been going for 24 seasons. Don't recall any episode with an autistic, and I'm sure I've seen every episode. They're always bringing in younger detectives as older ones leave. I wish they'd bring in an Autie for a change. Or an autistic judge or DA.

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2024, 1:18 pm

I have only seen the memes.

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2024, 12:35 pm

The Musings Of The Lost wrote:
So far i think it is pretty good. The producers have been pretty clear that Dr Murphy is not meant to represent autistic people, but I wouldn't mind personally if he did. I find the character a lot more relateable than most other characters.
He is also basically what I want to be when I am an adult. I can't exactly change the autistic part but a surgeon is my goal.
So how do you guys feel about it?
I wasn't able to get through the first episode. It did not jive with me

Wreck It Ralph

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2024, 4:07 pm

skibum wrote:
So far i think it is pretty good. The producers have been pretty clear that Dr Murphy is not meant to represent autistic people, but I wouldn't mind personally if he did. I find the character a lot more relateable than most other characters.
He is also basically what I want to be when I am an adult. I can't exactly change the autistic part but a surgeon is my goal.

I've just skimmed through the first episode and I suspect it's not going to jive with me either. Don't quite know why. Maybe I've been spoiled by Doc Martin which was a UK series that for me will be hard to beat. I really like some American TV series but The Good Doctor looks as if its production values are going to be of the kind that puts me off. It's hard to put into words. They seem to overproduce things with too much incidental music and glaringly obvious techniques designed to get attention, and I've yet to see an American portrayal of ASD that rings true with me. But I'll give it a fair audition when I get a bit of time. I've been pleasantly surprised before, and in spite of my comments, which sound like I've already judged it, but I'll keep an open mind.

What_in_the_what_now
Raven
Raven

26 Jan 2024, 4:17 pm

No autistic person can represent autistic people. Where does that weird idea even come from that producers need to say it.

What_in_the_what_now
Raven
Raven

26 Jan 2024, 4:25 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I've never watched The Good Doctor. My favourite show is on at the same time in the evening.

Wait, you watch shows when they are actually on?
That almost made me nostalgic

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2024, 6:17 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
skibum wrote:

I've just skimmed through the first episode and I suspect it's not going to jive with me either. Don't quite know why. Maybe I've been spoiled by Doc Martin which was a UK series that for me will be hard to beat. I really like some American TV series but The Good Doctor looks as if its production values are going to be of the kind that puts me off. It's hard to put into words. They seem to overproduce things with too much incidental music and glaringly obvious techniques designed to get attention, and I've yet to see an American portrayal of ASD that rings true with me. But I'll give it a fair audition when I get a bit of time. I've been pleasantly surprised before, and in spite of my comments, which sound like I've already judged it, but I'll keep an open mind.
I LOVE Doc Martin. That is one of the best series I have ever seen.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2024, 6:19 pm

What_in_the_what_now wrote:

No autistic person can represent autistic people.
That's just idiotic. That is like saying that no neurotypical people can respresent neurotypical people. Sometimes I think people are just stupid. There is no other explanation.

Wreck It Ralph

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2024, 3:39 pm

Having now given The Good Doctor a fair chance (i.e. I've watched 4 episodes), I guess I'm better qualified to give my reactions to it.

As I'd suspected before, the American production values didn't help me to like it. Too many pretty people doing heroic things, pointless bits of gratuitous sex (not particularly explicit, just stereotyped and banal), overdone background music rather than letting the plot speak for itself, and too much sentiment for my taste.

But I found it watchable and will very likely watch more episodes. It raised some interesting ethical questions. The protagonist bears some resemblance to a real life Aspie, though I'm still wondering whether his highly robotic intonation is all that representative of the neurotype. He reminds me of Data in Star Trek, who was a somewhat crude representation of an Aspie, perhaps because he wasn't really supposed to have ASD. I also think the protagonist is engineered to be a little bit too much like Rain Man, being very polarised, astonishingly clever in some ways and astonishingly "stupid" in others, with nothing much in the middle. Still, the show is clearly not supposed to represent real life, and I don't necessarily mind fiction being far-fetched as such.

I like the way they show his lack of eye contact. For me, even though it was a "throwaway" thing, it threw the matter into sharp focus, probably because "good" eye contact is usually consistently stronger in TV shows than it is in real life, so when it doesn't happen it really stands out, and I kept wanting to tell him to at least glance at people's faces to avoid coming over as weird. So I admired the way they'd handled that. It made me think about my own eye contact and wonder whether I ought to review whether I should try to improve it a little.

Two of the male doctors look so similar to me that I still can't tell them apart, which is naturally rather confusing and it makes it hard for me to follow some of the plots. Given that the makers were so aware of ASD, it's a pity they didn't cater a bit more for the Aspie audience in that respect, though I'm probably nitpicking.

In my view it's not a patch on Doc Martin, despite the similarity of the basic idea behind both shows (i.e. a highly-skilled doctor with a strange interpersonal style). I recommend Doc Martin to anybody who hasn't seen it. I'm tempted to say that it's objectively a much better show, but maybe there's no such thing as objective good and bad in TV shows, and there's no accounting for taste. I'm often surprised when they re-make British shows for American audiences, as they often leave me wondering how in the world anybody can prefer the USA versions to the originals, but maybe you'd have to be British to relate to that remark.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2024, 4:14 am

Writing and acting autistic characters is difficult. Too much and they may seem like a caricature, too little and they may not register as autistic at all.

Regarding peculiar TV doctors, I relate more to Dr. House.