Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2024, 1:46 pm

At my wife's request, I am seeing her trusted homeopath tomorrow for a consultation regarding my autism.

I am quite skeptical. I am fairly certain that she (the homeopath) believes vaccinations may cause or contribute to autism. For my wife's sake, I have agreed to be open minded.

Does anyone have any experience?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2024, 3:46 pm

What would he be able to DO for you? I mean surely he doesnt claim that he can somehow "cure" you of autism. So what is this consultation supposed to accomplish?

It always struck me as ironic that Homeopaths always seem to be antivaxxers. Ironic because vaccines are one of the few remedies of mainstream medicine that actually are kind of "homeopathic" in concept. As I understand it homeopathy is based upon the concept of curing you with a weakened version of the same thing that made you sick. And vaccines provoke your body into an immune response by shooting you up with protein from the dead or weakened virus that might infect you. So vaccines are the one thing that something like homeopathic theory actually works.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2024, 6:14 pm

The only condition for which homeopathy is effective in treating is dehydration.

Otherwise, homeopathy is based on two ideas: (1) "Like cures like", meaning a substance which causes disease symptoms can also cure those same symptoms; and that (2) dilution with a large quantity of water increases potency.

Both ideas are not only the opposite of what medical science observes, but they are the opposite of common sense too.

You would be wasting your time, your money, and your health on quack medicine.  Homeopathy is a scam.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2024, 6:24 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
What would he be able to DO for you? I mean surely he doesnt claim that he can somehow "cure" you of autism. So what is this consultation supposed to accomplish?

It always struck me as ironic that Homeopaths always seem to be antivaxxers. Ironic because vaccines are one of the few remedies of mainstream medicine that actually are kind of "homeopathic" in concept. As I understand it homeopathy is based upon the concept of curing you with a weakened version of the same thing that made you sick. And vaccines provoke your body into an immune response by shooting you up with protein from the dead or weakened virus that might infect you. So vaccines are the one thing that something like homeopathic theory actually works.

There are also live-virus vaccines and mRNA vaccines which are different from the typical attenuated-virus vaccines.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2024, 6:25 pm

Fnord wrote:
The only condition for which homeopathy is effective in treating is dehydration.

Otherwise, homeopathy is based on two ideas: (1) "Like cures like", meaning a substance which causes disease symptoms can also cure those same symptoms; and that (2) dilution with a large quantity of water increases potency.

Both ideas are not only the opposite of what medical science observes, but they are the opposite of common sense too.

You would be wasting your time, your money, and your health on quack medicine.  Homeopathy is a scam.

Homeopathy is indeed a scam.

But at least it provides some people with the proven placebo effect. :lol:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2024, 6:35 pm

I wasn't sure what Homeopathy was but it sounds like bunk, especially if it's for "curing autism" (?!)
Seriously do they think they can turn back your neurobiology to its in-utero state, to redevelop?

I've been to a Naturopath several times but that's not the same, and it wasn't to cure my autism.
It was about vitamin and mineral supplementation based on blood tests.
My regular GP approved it and it was free so I went.
They also do acupuncture which I find helpful.

Edit: Most importantly, why does your wife want your autism cured? :scratch:

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2024, 7:10 pm

I'm pretty sure that homeopathy has no efficacy beyond the placebo effect, and your skepticism would probably diminish even that, though it wouldn't necessarily block it completely. Unfortunately, placebo effects are likely to be only temporary. If it turns out that she's anti-vax, that would open up the possibility that she may also be against effective, conventional methods of coping with ASD. She might try to talk you out of those, but then again she might not.

I guess the idea is to try it for alleviating certain ASD-related problems, and not as some hope of an overall "cure?" If the answer to that isn't clear to you, you might want to ask your wife, as she's the one who is urging you to try homeopathy.

I suppose a lot depends on how much spare time and money you have.

Based on what you've said, you don't seem the type to be vulnerable to brainwashing, so offhand I don't see much danger of that happening.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2024, 8:49 pm

I agree that homeopathy is nonscientific and is essentially nonsense, but I think you may be wise in not picking a battle with your wife and going along with it to appease her. I think it's unlikely to do any harm.

I have no personal experience with it.

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 May 2024, 3:27 pm

bee33 wrote:
essentially nonsense, but I think you may be wise in not picking a battle with your wife

So when his wife talks nonsense you advice him to go along with it to keep the peace? I think that attitude is behind many problems between women and men today. She's a grown up and not a child and should be treated accordingly. If he thinks homeopathy is nonsense he should tell his wife it like it is.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2024, 4:45 pm

BillyTree wrote:
bee33 wrote:
essentially nonsense, but I think you may be wise in not picking a battle with your wife

So when his wife talks nonsense you advice him to go along with it to keep the peace? I think that attitude is behind many problems between women and men today. She's a grown up and not a child and should be treated accordingly. If he thinks homeopathy is nonsense he should tell his wife it like it is.

A third way might be to pander to her this time but not to make a habit of it or to let pandering become a one-way street. Pandering, if it's done at all, should be mutual IMO.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2024, 5:03 pm

Homeopathy is hooey. But even it werent ...anyone (even in mainstream medicine) claiming they can cure your autism would be quack. So this guy must be a double quack.

How does autism even fit into homeopathy theory? The theory being that you cure using the hair of the same dog that bit you.

Autism is not caused by any outside agent. So there is no substance that you can dilute down to use as a "remedy". Unless this guy is claiming that you "got" autism from a vaccine. So...is he claiming that you need a vaccine against...a certain vaccine? Take a sample of that vaccine that you got years ago that "gave you autism" (which is itself already a diluted version of some virus) and then water it down even more... to reverse the effect of the vaccine?

Just curious.

Keep us posted about what transpires at your consultation with him.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2024, 5:20 pm

If being full of disbelief if not outright anger for a antivaxxer quack doctor who honestly believes in this homeopathy nonsense means I don't have an open mind, then I guess I'm guilty as charged.

The problem with having an "open mind" is that it tends to let in bugs of the biting and stinging variety. :roll:

If your wife wants your autism "cured", then she can't be a very good wife. Especially when the so-called "cures" could be very harmful. It's basically like someone telling their spouse, "Your skin is too dark, can you make it lighter for me with this tube of "possibly" dangerous Michael Jackson-type bleaching cream I bought off the dark web?"

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2024, 6:46 pm

WOW,, ALMOST makes me afraid to post this one ..! But will offer this ..next time you get the flu.. try a little product of tongue dissolving crystals in the little tube called Ociococsinum.. spelled it phonetically , so pardon if spelling is off.
It is of that flavour of homeopathy stuff.. Fixes flu symptoms , pretty quickly . Been around for years . Stuff that does not work usually doesnt last in production long, this one has been around since, i was in my teens ..And used it.
That being said homeopathy is pretty unregulated.. you might be very right to be wary. But as far as seeing a homeopath for Autism , makes me wince ... hard to swallow that. But if in your situation, maybe , it will help you have a more peaceful household?? But I have seen some pretty weird medical stuff that has also caused me to wonder about allopathic medicine too. And am only a results oriented person, with a high edge towards pragmatism .
Especially with any kind of potential scams, voodoo or witch doctors . Due to extreme health issues since was little , and significantly more after getting my body pretty well squashed in a vehicle crash. in my late teens .And never getting a full recovery . :roll: . And I am a serious skeptic on medicine things 8O

where ever you go ,there you are

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2024, 6:59 pm

I think of homeopaths as scammers that can cause real harm under the right circumstances, so I wouldn’t feel comfortable supporting them with money. I’m sure some of them believe their own nonsense though.

Just because a “remedy” has been around for a while doesn’t mean it’s valid. There’s the placebo effect. Also, it’s hard to know whether a person would’ve gotten better (as fast) without it. That’s where scientific research comes in handy, and that’s where homeopathy falls short.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2024, 7:29 pm

From NIH Library of medicine : Abstract
Abstract
Background

Homeopathy is a highly debated but often used medical treatment. With this cohort study we aimed to evaluate health status changes under homeopathic treatment in routine care. Here we extend former results, now presenting data of an 8-year follow-up.

Methods

In a prospective, multicentre cohort study with 103 homeopathic primary care practices in Germany and Switzerland, data from all patients (age >1 year) consulting the physician for the first time were observed. The main outcome measures were: The patients' perceived change in complaint severity (numeric rating scales from 0 = no complaint to 10 = maximal severity) and quality of life as measured by the SF-36 at baseline, and after 2 and 8 years.

Results

A total of 3,709 patients were studied, 73% (2,722 adults, 72.8% female, age at baseline 41.0 ± 12.3; 819 children, 48.4% female, age 6.5 ± 4.0) contributed data to the 8-year follow-up. The most frequent diagnoses were allergic rhinitis and headache in adults, and atopic dermatitis and multiple recurrent infections in children. Disease severity decreased significantly (p < 0.001) between baseline, 2 and 8 years (adults from 6.2 ± 1.7 to 2.9 ± 2.2 and 2.7 ± 2.1; children from 6.1 ± 1.8 to 2.1 ± 2.0 and 1.7 ± 1.9). Physical and mental quality of life sores also increased considerably. Younger age, female gender and more severe disease at baseline were factors predictive of better therapeutic success.

Conclusion

Patients who seek homeopathic treatment are likely to improve considerably. These effects persist for as long as 8 years.
~~~~~~. ~~~~~~~~~~. ~~~~~~~

Just offering info from the Net.
concerning the product called : Oscillococcinum, and my experiences with it , After recommendation from Late Hubby
With 12 yrs more life experience than me. for usauge during onset of Flu symptoms .

<<<<< just Sayin >>>>> .... :mrgreen:

where ever you go ,there you are

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2024, 7:40 pm

^ Could you provide a link? This sounds like nonsense:

Quote:
Patients who seek homeopathic treatment are likely to improve considerably. These effects persist for as long as 8 years.
I found this:
“Oscillococcinum treatment reduced length of influenza illness by 0.28 days (95% confidence interval 0.50 to 0.06). Oscillococcinum also increased the chance of a patient considering treatment effective.”

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1079667 ... 0to%200.06).

0.28 days doesn’t seem like much of a reduction.