Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

pascalflower
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Feb 2010, 2:51 am

Autism is a disorder associated with basic communication and social skills mostly of executive functions in which the person seems fully cable of normal social interacting and language development, but who's actual language and social behavior may seem too rigid and lack social context or appropriate emotions, but show no grammatical or general cognitive deficits associated with any particular known language impairment or brain damage. Autism is not so much a disorder met by fitting a specific set of traits, but rather a default diagnosis when a person of normal (intelligence range )without any observable brain or cognitive abnormalities, can not fit any specific disorder but who's social and language skills are noticeable less fluid and seem unnatural, especially in age appropriate social context.

Autism is not an emotional disorder, and therefore should only be diagnosed if personality and anxiety disorders are ruled out.

I'm severely affected by my environment, If things are too social, I'm overwhelmed, if things are too sad, I feel a chill to my spine, and if things are too upsetting, I fall apart. I'd say I lack a stable timer to my social skills. There are certain things people with Autism seem to never quite understand, which I think I do, it's just that my timing is off. I may get a joke about a couple minutes late after everyone else has stopped laughing, or I may finally figure out the right way to say something a week later. I can't think on the spot or quickly react to the right social cues. I know them, I can do them, I understand them, I just can't seem to know, do, and understand at the same time. Things are always a little bit out of sync.

I would say people with Autism lack a few social, emotional, and language skills which are easily noticeable to most people, but can not be directly pinned to the any specific skill defect, while I lack many social and language specific skills that can not be technically pinpointed, but their effects are generally noticed. The effect is very similar, as neither of us fit in well.

Ahh, this may not have helped you, but I liked what I typed, so I'm posting it anyways.