Page 2 of 12 [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 1:28 pm

littlelily613 wrote:
I find it rather amusing (but in a non-amusing way) that it ALWAYS seems that when someone is not even diagnosed with AS comes to the conclusion that they do not have AS, everyone here seems to try and convince them otherwise. As is always said, people often know themselves more than we do. BAP is quite logical--a few AS traits, but not enough to qualify for diagnosis. Anyway, I am not saying Sammich does or does not have AS. What I am saying that if he is able to function, does not believe he has it, and does not have a diagnosis that he is going against, I cannot see why anyone would try to convince him that he is wrong. That makes no sense. And if he does have difficulty functioning due to traits that could be seen as autistic, even if mildly so, then he should go get a professional evaluation rather than that the coercion of complete strangers on an anonymous public forum.

True. Just saying I doubted my diagnosis before it, I doubted it after it, then I came to accept it but I still think the diagnosis itself is so vague as to be non... what's the word. Non-exclusionary of people like myself and maybe SammichEater if he's as like me as he sounds.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 1:32 pm

SammichEater wrote:
I thought for sure I had AS. I was almost certain. I'm really not so sure anymore. I do in fact meet the criteria, so why am I beginning to change my mind?

I've been doing quite a lot of research in the past few days. When I was in elementary school, I was not considered to be disabled or to have a disorder. I was considered "gifted." I was comprehending literature that was far above my grade level. I had (and still have) an intuitive understanding of mathematics and it's applications in the real world. I had actually made a few friends, most of which had abilities similar to that of my own.

Now, lets get one thing straight. I'm definitely not the most outgoing person in the world. All of my friends have been extroverts who confronted me, and not the other way around. But that actually has nothing to do with AS. Aspies are socially inept, not necessarily introverts. With that in mind, am I actually socially inept? Maybe slightly, but not enough to be classified as "significantly impaired." I'm really just introverted.

Don't get me wrong, I still have poor social skills, just not in the typical aspie way. I actually don't lack empathy and I can read facial expressions well enough, yet I am socially isolated. Why? Because I'm a TI-89 living in a box full of TI-83's, if you get my analogy. I can have a two way conversation with people. It's just that I can only do it with other people who think like I do. Unfortunately, they are hard to find.

It doesn't just end there. I have a sense of humor and an understanding of sarcasm and figurative language (usually). I am not prone to extreme anxiety and panic attacks. I have never had meltdowns. My interests, while intense, are not nearly as narrow as many aspies. My understanding of the material I learn is not just rote memorization, like many aspies. In fact, my memory is at around average; it is my comprehension that is far above that.

While, from a distance, this does sound like AS. But when put under a microscope, I think the answer becomes clear. I'm just more intelligent than most people, that's all. That doesn't mean life is all that great for me, though. Like I said, I still have social issues, the cause is just different.

I previously thought that I was twice exceptional. After quite a bit of introspection, this isn't the case. My behavior is very typical of a smart, introverted guy; much more so than that of an aspie. There really aren't a lot of differences between me and regular "gifted" people.

And, just for references:

http://www.suite101.com/content/highly- ... nal-a71678

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/eric/fact/asperger.pdf

I think it's more important to have someone recall your behavior and development as a young child. I seemed to grow out of most of the AS social symptoms you listed by the time I was a teenager. As an adult I'm actually very intuitive. I just don't fit in easily because it's hard to feel engaged with people on an intellectual or emotional level. It seems like my lack of social interest leads to a lack of social ability rather than the other way around.

Also, the extreme rote memorization and collecting of mindless facts/figures/trivia thing seems to be a media stereotype that's based on the lower functioning Kanners type of Autism. Most all intelligent people on the spectrum that I have met seem to take pride in having a deep understanding.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 1:40 pm

littlelily613 wrote:
I find it rather amusing (but in a non-amusing way) that it ALWAYS seems that when someone is not even diagnosed with AS comes to the conclusion that they do not have AS, everyone here seems to try and convince them otherwise. As is always said, people often know themselves more than we do. BAP is quite logical--a few AS traits, but not enough to qualify for diagnosis. Anyway, I am not saying Sammich does or does not have AS. What I am saying that if he is able to function, does not believe he has it, and does not have a diagnosis that he is going against, I cannot see why anyone would try to convince him that he is wrong. That makes no sense. And if he does have difficulty functioning due to traits that could be seen as autistic, even if mildly so, then he should go get a professional evaluation rather than mindlessly follow the coercion of complete strangers on an anonymous public forum.

I think part of it is also us wanting to not be judged by stereotypes that the links Sammich is looking at are doing. I know my posts were not about trying to convince Sammich either way, rather were about what I'd gone through in the other direction.

But yes, BAP + gifted is entirely logical :)

Artros
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 1:56 pm

Tuttle wrote:
Artros wrote:
My problem with his argument was that the simple fact that he had friends meant that he could not have Asperger's. The "active but odd" classification rather than the "aloof and passive" classification means that friendships, especially started by others, aren't infeasible. Of the Aspies I know, one has a fair amount of friends and another one basically only has one good friend. I (undiagnosed) also have a number of friends.

Oh, yeah, having friends doesn't at all mean that you're not socially inept. I had been focusing on
SammichEater wrote:
I actually don't lack empathy and I can read facial expressions well enough, yet I am socially isolated.

That would be true, I guess, but I think social ineptness is a little broader than that. The empathy thing is certainly broadly-discussed and many feel that the way in which most people currently view the relationship between autism and empathy is not fully true. I think there's more to social ineptness than that as well. It's also about reading between the lines and understanding what's going on in social situations.

SQ: 72/80 (Extreme Synthesiser)
Aspie test: about 150/200 Aspie, about 40/200 NT

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 2:37 pm

I was also 2e, and I was severe enough that the teachers in grade school were totally confuzzled by my combination of academic advancement and all-other retardation. They had extensive meetings about me and gave me an IEP without my parents asking for one. This was back in the '80s, before anyone knew anything about the autism e, so everyone assumed that I was only the gifted e.

However, even before anyone knew anything about autism, the teachers could tell that I was totally different from the other gifted kids in a way that suggested something missing instead of just an extension of the giftedness. So they segregated me from them. The other gifted kids worked on more advanced material within the gifted group within the class. I worked alone on even more advanced material according to my IEP. This pattern of me, 2e, not fitting in with the gifted, 1e, has persisted throughout my life. Once I got into environments where everyone was gifted, the gulf was still there and as vast as ever. I consider it a crucial differentiator between autism with giftedness and giftedness manifesting as autistic traits described in vague clinical terms.

Since you are wondering about yourself, maybe it would help if you carefully analyzed the interactions between yourself and other gifted people. Do you merely get along with them when you are discussing shared interests, or do you actually feel any sort of connection with them or inclusion into their group? Do you pick up on what they are thinking and feeling without trying too hard to analyze them and still not being able to decide amongst all the possibilities that you have generated after the interactions? In the group, do you still stand out a lot lot lot? Have you noticed them treating you differently from others in the group? Can you even join such a group without repeatedly trying and failing and ultimately failing and giving up? If you have joined, are you treated like the youngest? Or like the weird one in the group as the group is the weird one in the school? Do other gifted people actually tell you that you are a total weirdo? I ask this last one, because I've noticed that gifted people are less hesitant to mention such things, because they care less about social conformity in the first place, most likely due to their own inability to conform to the TI-83's, as you explained.

trappedinhell
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 2:48 pm

Tuttle wrote:
But if it is wrong then it can hurt both you and people who actually are on the spectrum - I've seen this happen before.

You mean it hurts being rejected from one more group? Or nobody takes the real aspies seriously if the place is full of wannabes?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 2:57 pm

littlelily613 wrote:
I find it rather amusing (but in a non-amusing way) that it ALWAYS seems that when someone is not even diagnosed with AS comes to the conclusion that they do not have AS, everyone here seems to try and convince them otherwise. As is always said, people often know themselves more than we do. BAP is quite logical--a few AS traits, but not enough to qualify for diagnosis. Anyway, I am not saying Sammich does or does not have AS. What I am saying that if he is able to function, does not believe he has it, and does not have a diagnosis that he is going against, I cannot see why anyone would try to convince him that he is wrong. That makes no sense. And if he does have difficulty functioning due to traits that could be seen as autistic, even if mildly so, then he should go get a professional evaluation rather than mindlessly follow the coercion of complete strangers on an anonymous public forum.

I find it rather sad (but in a non-depressing way) that it ALWAYS seems that when people diagnose themselves with AS, the automatic assumption is that they have AS, and everyone tries to bolster and support that opinion - and it is only an opinion, by the way. People think that they know themselves better than anyone else, and this may be true to some small extent, but their inherent subjectivity will often modify their self-perceptions to fit their chosen "diagnosis" - that is, people tend to focus on and exaggerate symptoms that confirm their self-diagnoses and disregard the symptoms that contradict with what they've already determined is true. Anyway, I am not saying Sammich does or does not have AS. What I am saying that if he is able to function, does not believe he has it, and does not have a diagnosis that he is going against, I cannot see why anyone would try to convince him that he is correct. That makes no sense, in that it would be the opinions of non-professionals trying to give their own diagnoses without ever having that have never examined, or even met SammichEater in the first place.

One of the first principles of science is that you must not fool yourself, or allowed others to fool you - always be skeptical, even of your own opinions. Verify your own opinions with either supporting facts, or with only the opinions of trained professionals, and only after a thorough examination of the facts by that professional.

If he does think that he has difficulty functioning due to traits that could be seen as autistic, even if mildly so, then he should go get a professional evaluation rather than mindlessly follow the opinions of complete strangers on an anonymous public forum, whether those opinions support his own or not.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 3:13 pm

I've noticed the same trend that littlelily and Fnord have pointed out. I'm not saying that anyone in this thread is intending to convince SammichEater one way or another, but there does seem to be a general bias towards "You have ASD" on this forum. This appears both when someone asks if they have ASD or when someone doubts their diagnosis, self or professional. But why does this trend exist? If people know themselves best, then their own doubts about their diagnosis of ASD or anything else should be as valid as their own beliefs in their diagnosis.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 3:24 pm

Well I can only speak for myself and I guess I play into this "you have an ASD" dynamic but it's cause I wentthrough so much doubt... two years of flat-out thinking it was absurd I could fit the diagnostic criteria, then a year and a half post-diagnosis rejecting the diagnosis for the same reasons. Not SAYING he or anyone else doubting they has an ASD does, but in my case whether I actually do or not (and by the way my diagnosis itself was pretty vague, citing me as a "probable borderline case"; learning about various aspects of the BAP at the very least and associating with others suspecting or confused or diagnosed on this site HAS helped me. It could very well turn out that another doctor could come along and say my diagnosis is nonsense and I could find as much evidence to believe them as I have to believe I have an ASD. Diagnosis criteria for such broad syndromes are culturally based. Just saying. It's helped me to be able to think of myself as this from time to time and... I don't know.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 3:29 pm

trappedinhell wrote:
Tuttle wrote:
But if it is wrong then it can hurt both you and people who actually are on the spectrum - I've seen this happen before.

You mean it hurts being rejected from one more group? Or nobody takes the real aspies seriously if the place is full of wannabes?

Being rejected from more than one group is not at all what I'm talking about because that happens with people who are on the spectrum and not on the spectrum without any misidentification.

If someone assumes they have an ASD, when they truthfully have other disorders that they can get help for, they don't get the help they need. Also, if someone assumes they have an ASD when they don't, they easily waste a whole lot of time and money getting help with things that they knew how to do all along. You start getting stereotypes that are even more false for you associated with you.

The real aspies end up not at all taken seriously when people have been dealing with the wannabes, both because of having a false idea of what an aspie is, and because of them being so tired of dealing with people who were wrong that they assume that nobody is really an aspie. I've definitely seen "but she can do this and she says that she has Asperger's, why are you so inept", refer to a person who doesn't have Asperger's, for even some of the more mild aspie traits of a true aspie. Similarly there's what has occured with ADHD where people stop believing that anyone has ADHD because its been so over popularized.

There is more as well, but those are some initial things. I can tell you that the hurting the real aspies has gotten actually very far in some of the cases that I've seen - like I said it was far enough that I stopped identifying as a self-diagnosed aspie, and I was later given an official diagnosis without any question.

trappedinhell
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 3:33 pm

Fnord wrote:
if he is able to function, does not believe he has it, and does not have a diagnosis that he is going against, I cannot see why anyone would try to convince him that he is wrong. That makes no sense. ... Verify your own opinions with either supporting facts, or with only the opinions of trained professionals, and only after a thorough examination of the facts by that professional.

I agree that trying to convince him one way or the other is wrong, but offering options is useful. Facts are seldom clear cut, and it is good to have choices.

It is even conceivable that someone suffering from a similar but undiagnosed condition might find it comforting to post here. Feeling you belong somewhere is a large component of mental health.

trappedinhell
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 3:38 pm

Tuttle wrote:
If someone assumes they have an ASD, when they truthfully have other disorders that they can get help for, they don't get the help they need. Also, if someone assumes they have an ASD when they don't, they easily waste a whole lot of time and money getting help with things that they knew how to do all along. You start getting stereotypes that are even more false for you associated with you.

That is true only if three factors exist: that help is available, that money is available, and that the alternative is better. Which may be true for some people but not others.

As for the problem with wannabes, yes, I am sure you are right.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 3:39 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
I've noticed the same trend that littlelily and Fnord have pointed out. I'm not saying that anyone in this thread is intending to convince SammichEater one way or another, but there does seem to be a general bias towards "You have ASD" on this forum. This appears both when someone asks if they have ASD or when someone doubts their diagnosis, self or professional. But why does this trend exist? If people know themselves best, then their own doubts about their diagnosis of ASD or anything else should be as valid as their own beliefs in their diagnosis.

Maybe because they see it in themselves? If they say that person doesn't have it or agree he could be wrong, then they are going to have to question their own self diagnoses or DX one or unofficial one. It could be projection. (Am I using the word right?)

Artros
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 3:44 pm

I think this is a very interesting issue. I do, however, disagree slightly with Fnord and the like. Most of the time, when someone posts a list of Aspie characteristics he has and asks for an opinion, most people respond by saying that a number of characteristics fit but that a professional should be consulted for a serious diagnosis. I think that's a very fair response.

I also think that the very nature of Asperger's Syndrome tends to push people towards focusing on the traits that do seem Aspie-ish. Asperger's Syndrome is a collection of symptoms, but most people who are diagnosed don't have all of them. Hence, the missing and contradictory characteristics don't immediately exclude the condition.

SQ: 72/80 (Extreme Synthesiser)
Aspie test: about 150/200 Aspie, about 40/200 NT

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 3:52 pm

btbnnyr wrote:

Actually I don't see anyone in this thread arguing that SammichEater definitely has ASD. A few people pointed out that the lack of certain stated symptoms does not rule out ASD. Nobody is against getting a professional diagnosis. It seems like littlelily and Fnord are creating contention where none exists because they are peeved at anyone who would self-diagnose. Or peeved that people are more interested in giving personal opinions than simply telling someone the obvious "go get a professional diagnosis". Of course, if that was how all people responded to every "do I have it" thread, it would be extremely boring to read.

I also have a much better explanation for the supposed "you have ASD" bias. People are reluctant to outright tell self-diagnosed people that their suspicions of having an ASD are dubious (even if they think they are) because saying so could be perceived as rude and dismissive and has lead to fights and hard feelings in past threads. On the other hand, few people are as emotionally invested in a self-diagnosis of NT, so questioning someones NT'ness isn't going to cause the same kind of friction.

Last edited by marshall on 29 Aug 2011, 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 3:53 pm

Are we not trying to get him to think about this, either way? There are people that say: " no" after initially thinking "yes," but later find out through a doctor that they do indeed have it. And this works out the other way, too.

Chances are there is something here. After all how many plain gifted folk pass through and open an account on WP? It's worth finding out what is underneath this, even if by awkwardly visiting a phycologist and asking: "I thought I had autism, in fact I posted over 1000's of posts on an autism forum, but I kinda doubt this now -- and why do I have this problem-- here are some of my posts that I printed out explaining my symptoms and feelings?"

It may be dysthymia, or something else, even going back to autism-- a good chance of shortchanging yourself by just walking away and thinking, " I was just plainly mistaken."

Ask your parents, and talk to them about this. In fact I'm wondering why a parent would allow their child to self DX like this without considering professional guidance, this is serious business.

Last edited by Mdyar on 30 Aug 2011, 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.