Page 2 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2006, 7:31 pm

Harry Potter is one of the most adult "child" books series there are. I was walking around the local Botanical Gardens and heard two 40 yo-ish women talking about HP and being ready to pre-order when number 7 comes out.

For cartoons, I tend to prefer Nickelodeon most of all. Spongebob, Jimmy Neutron, Fairly Oddparents, Hey, Arnold...

I also like toys, though I don't buy as many as I like. I mostly end up spending my extra money on books and movies. But I always walk through the toys section in stores if I have time. :)

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

12 Sep 2006, 10:00 pm

I read The baby-Sitters Club books and the Little Sister ones too.

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2006, 10:57 pm

When I was younger, I collected Star Wars figures. At some point, I realized that I never actually did anything with them. I just bought them for the pretty colors and for all the neat guns they came with. Once they were out of the package and had all their equipment jammed into their hands, they just weren't that much fun. Once I realized that, I was over my toy addiction and my wallet was safe.

Of course, I still have 30+ action figures and vehicles stuffed in my closet. I still like the pretty colors and the cool guns.

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2006, 3:31 am

werbert wrote:
When I was younger, I collected Star Wars figures. At some point, I realized that I never actually did anything with them. I just bought them for the pretty colors and for all the neat guns they came with. Once they were out of the package and had all their equipment jammed into their hands, they just weren't that much fun.

Does anyone else love the 'new toy' smell? I still can't help feeling excited, like a kid, at that particular plasticy smell.

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2006, 6:46 am

Callista wrote:
I still read children's and teens' books; I had an Animorphs obsession until the age of 19.

By the time you get to the adult section, there's nothing but murder, romance, and Westerns... most adult books have lost the variety of juvenile books and fallen into cliched genres; and to find an adult book as original as the average book in the J-Fiction section is a hard search.

Nowadays, I depend mostly on recommendations and favorite authors when I read adult books; with books written for children, you can still search the shelf for something that looks interesting--adult books, and you're lucky if you find a book without a cookie-cutter plot one out of fifty times.

Callista - here are two books I absolutely love:
"Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" by Douglas Adams (ignore the blurb on the back cover which doesn't 'sell' the book very well at all), and "The Eyre Affair" by Jasper Fforde.
Both are unconventional, clever and very funny.

Timbo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Sep 2006, 7:12 am

I have a tendency to do 'childish' pranks... At my school the teachers have the power to check your USB Drive for any games or other things that shouldnt be there. I made a program in VB that tells the user off for going into somebodys USB without consent and will only end if the 'promise' to stop. I disguised the program with a folder icon and called it Games. The teacher that got it wasnt too pleased.

Also, I managed to snag some "Danger: Do Not Enter" tape from a friend who works in woodcutting, so he uses the stuff enough for nobody to notice. I taped off a few classes and someones locker. Fun times

Pheas
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Sep 2006, 7:38 am

Stuffed animals, coloring books, Dr. Seuss.

I really hated being a child, so I figure now that I'm in charge, I can enjoy those things on my terms.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2006, 7:44 am

I like the Harry Potter books, some anime, and some teen pop. Also, Finding Nemo is one of the best animated films I've seen, ever.

I don't think a big deal should be made out of having any of these so-called 'childish' interests. They're harmless, and anyway most of the people I know who criticise me for having juvenile interests have no interests of their own. Who is the more interesting person as a result?

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2006, 1:28 pm

People dont grow up they just start believing they need more expensive toys.

That fact you havent bought into that crud and can still enjoy the cheap toys of your youth is something they will be jealous of and rarely understand.

Dont sweat it I still love the yoyo and building stuff with plastic blocks as well :P

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

mikibacsi1124
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2006, 2:30 pm

I'm very much still a kid inside. I still watch old kids' shows, read kids' books, and even some of my "adult" interests are rather simple and are ones I've had since my childhood. My eating habits and my general approach to life are probably more childish as well, and I can't say I'm looking forward to my post-college life.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2006, 9:50 pm

Is Austin Powers a childish thing to be interested in?

waterdogs
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2006, 9:56 pm

i still collect sportscards. with ichiro suzuki and yao ming being the highlight of my collections, i also have an autographed barry bonds baseball.

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2006, 10:16 pm

As a child I was interested in many things adults were interested in, such as growing my veggy garden. Unfortunately water restrictions here have put paid to that. But I am obsessed with watching things grow like my veggies. Not only watching tomatoes grow but anything from hair the how the temperature grows on hot weather. If is happens to be a hot day I often cannot resist going out to check the thermometer every ten minutes just so satisfy my obsession for watching things grow as the temperature grows up the scale. It is why I look forward so much to forecast heat wave on the way.

Other times I have to urge to go into a model shop and look at model cars, not so much to buy any but just a yearning for my old childhood interests.

I also have the urge to engage to childish behaviors from time to time like running up to the next floor of a department store the wrong way up the escalators. I can usually easily beat the people going up the escalators next to me who are going up the "lazy" way.
At least it keeps me fit.

Paul

krex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2006, 10:31 pm

I think this is the upside of being "labeled" different,outsider,other,freak...you dont have as much pressure to conform to fit in because nothing you do will actually make that happen....and as long as your going to experience this exclussion any way....might as well enjoy the freedom it allows.My parents expectations are so low for me now(after years of trying to fix me)that they are happy I am not in a psyc ward or jail...I like the freedom of being an outsider....

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2006, 11:50 pm

Hovis wrote:
Does anyone else love the 'new toy' smell? I still can't help feeling excited, like a kid, at that particular plasticy smell.

I don't remember any plasticy smell, but I did often keep the box in which my toys came, mainly because I liked how they looked.

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2006, 2:55 am

I totally understand about the plasticy smell! It reminds me of birthdays and Christmases past.

I'm still a very big music fan, which some people seem to find childish... :roll: