Be careful. I was wrongly diagnosed with AS as a kid.

Page 2 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

CanisMajor
Toucan
Toucan

21 May 2012, 10:33 pm

I'm good with sarcasm nowadays (deadpan, though? That's another story...) But when I was a kid, I was constantly in trouble for "sarcasm", "having an attitude", or "smartass remarks", even though I was being completely serious and had no idea what I was in trouble for. Turns out that should've been another big AS red flag- I couldn't tell when someone was asking a rhetorical question and I was unaware that the way I spoke sounded sarcastic/confrontational. I also responded to things using logic, which some adults take as a calculated, smart-mouth remark. (One classic example involved how I tend to sit in odd positions. My mom once told me to "Sit like a lady." Since I didn't know what that meant, I figured logically, "Well, I'm a lady, and this is the way I like to sit... so I already AM sitting like a lady!"... Needless to say, that answer was not appreciated...)

Senath
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 May 2012, 11:01 pm

CanisMajor wrote:
I'm good with sarcasm nowadays (deadpan, though? That's another story...) But when I was a kid, I was constantly in trouble for "sarcasm", "having an attitude", or "smartass remarks", even though I was being completely serious and had no idea what I was in trouble for. Turns out that should've been another big AS red flag- I couldn't tell when someone was asking a rhetorical question and I was unaware that the way I spoke sounded sarcastic/confrontational. I also responded to things using logic, which some adults take as a calculated, smart-mouth remark. (One classic example involved how I tend to sit in odd positions. My mom once told me to "Sit like a lady." Since I didn't know what that meant, I figured logically, "Well, I'm a lady, and this is the way I like to sit... so I already AM sitting like a lady!"... Needless to say, that answer was not appreciated...)

People that I interact with tell me that they can never understand when I'm being sarcastic and when I'm being serious. I wonder how much confusion I've unknowingly caused.

Teredia
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2012, 11:50 pm

I was diagnosed as brilliant, slightly autistic - but "she'll grow out of it" in other words they thought my constant meltdowns was just attention seeking and they put me in all the top classes so i got target by bullies more....

Wish AS was diagnosable more in Girls in the 90's than 2004 and onwards...

biribiri20
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 May 2012, 1:42 am

I'm already diagnosed with ADHD, not AS, but I fit the criteria for not only the DSM-IV criteria for Aspergers, but even for that in the DSM-V for ASDs that's soon to come. Yet, it's really hard for me to get a diagnosis currently because last year, I spent all my money getting diagnosed for ADHD, and it wasn't until I started looking more into ADHD support sites and stumbling across the closely-related Autism Spectrum community, in addition to scoring fairly high on online Autism Spectrum tests that I really began to consider the notion that I could have Autism as well. Even now, I have trouble saying I am autistic or that I am an "Aspie", simply because I'm not yet diagnosed. I can't really bring myself to "self-diagnose" either, as they call it. I have to know for sure. Still, I am rather certain at this point that I have both ADHD and AS, and I can tell the symptoms of the two apart rather easily. If anything, I could just say AS is my personality and the way I process information while my ADHD is simply a pain in the ass to have. God forbid I tell anyone about the two either. The amount of misinformation on ADHD and AS in the media is so ridiculous, I'd have trouble getting certain people to believe I have either of the two to start with, much less expect to gain support by actually telling them I have them. The fact that I don't have the more stereotypical hyperactive/combined variant of ADHD and am simply just inattentive does not help matters in the least.

Diagnosis: ADHD-PI, suspected AS
Your Aspie Score: 142 of 200, Your NT Score: 74 of 200, You are very likely an Aspie
AQ: 38/EQ: 16/SQ: 52

uranium23567
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 May 2012, 2:14 am

diamorphone. I'm still somewhat torn because I keep hearing from both sides. ADD from my father, and AS from research, and a diagnosticians opinion (didn't actually interview me, but knew some of my symptoms)

There are a number of symptoms that fit both bills. But there are some classic red flags I do have, on the other hand, there are some common AS things that I DON'T HAVE

What I do have:
little sociability
speech deficiency (stutter)
no eye contact
social anxiety/depression
isolation
focus on single life subject (no hobbies otherwise)
ability to memorize tons of facts about aforementioned subject
high intelligence
hair twirling - since childhood -red flag
walking on tips of my toes - since I started walking - red flag
vocalizing my thoughts - redflag
I also have a...slight tendency to steer conversation my way. but anxiety and nervousness can cause this too
subject obsession
repeating patterns in life
separating my food on my plate from other food

but there is two CORE things that I have NO problem with:
reading peoples facial expressions
picking up on metaphors in conversation, something i'm actually VERY good at

so I don't know. Maybe i'm just somewhere imbetween. falling in another diagnosis hole like I do with everything else

Diamorphine
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 May 2012, 2:20 am

There's thousands of mental/personality disorders out there. If ADHD and autism don't sound right then they probably aren't. Go to a doctor if you're curious what actually is wrong.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 7:24 am

CanisMajor wrote:
As to diagnoses, I had it the other way around. When I was 14 I was diagnosed with ADHD, which didn't make any sense to me. I wasn't hyperactive in the least.

There is something called ADHD-PI. Don't ask me what PI stands for; but after Googling it, (this was a while back) it was basically ADD. Which confuses people like me who were led to believe that ADHD = hyperactivity.

Quote:
the "every kid has ADHD" thing pisses me off. And nowadays we're entering in to a "Every kid is on the autism spectrum" stage, is just as bad.

The "every kid has ADHD" seemed common when I was at school. Half the time, (including me) people were just bored and played up. Although in my case, it was "everything is her eyesight". :roll:

It does seem that when a child does play up, it's always "oh, they have ADHD". I know someone who was told that by her child's teacher at school. She turned around and informed them that he was playing up because he's sight impaired and can't do his work; as no-one has bothered to put in the requested reasonable adjustments.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 7:37 am

Diamorphine wrote:
Last week, I went to see a psychiatrist for the first time since I was 10. (20 now)

I told him about the aspergers diagnosis, and after answering some questions and talking to him for an hour, he told me he didn't see AS in me AT ALL. All of the AS symptoms I had are also ADHD symptoms and I had every single ADHD symptom in the book. The doctor put me on adderall and it's improved my life so much. I don't get bored 10x easier than other people anymore, I can focus on stuff that isn't fun, and I'm more open with people. (I wasn't a private person before, I just didn't feel the need to tell anyone anything they didn't need to know)

If I had this years ago, school wouldn't have always been so damn hard for me and I wouldn't have looked stupid trying to play any sport that required my full attention. Aspergers is not treatable(well, it is, but there's no well-defined cure-all pill like there is with ADHD) while ADHD is, so, please, if you're a parent and you think your kid has aspergers, please, MAKE SURE IT'S NOT ADHD. Don't make them have to go through what I did during high school. And don't suggest crap to the psychiatrists either, the reason the first guy thought I had AS is because some genius suggested to my parents that i share some qualities with his son, who actually does have mild AS. This time, I didn't suggest I had anything besides the AS diagnosis. I always kind of knew it was wrong because I only had two AS symptoms. I just thought that had to be it because, while I didn't feel autistic, I didn't feel normal either. Neither of the two groups fit me before. Also, I knew nothing about ADHD before last week, so I couldn't have ever figured it out. I always thought ADHD was a BS disorder made up by parents whos kids couldn't sit still. WRONG. ADHD can make your life harder for no reason at all. Brain chemistry speaking, ADHD people need to work more than the average person to feel the same amount of pleasure/satisfaction. From a science standpoint, ADHD and AS effect different parts of the brain, but because they share 3-4 out of 20(each) symptoms, they can be misdiagnosed as each other. I'm sure there's people out there with AS that adderall isn't really helping.

You are lucky you got a doctor to prescribe Adderall. I still have trouble sitting down and concentrating. Sometimes, I have to start a movie or something I am watching over again several times to know what's going on. I can't always pay attention at first. It interferes with my ability to pay attention and focus yet a doctor wouldn't prescribe Adderall for me and now I don't have health insurance. It's because so many people abuse Adderall. It's a real shame people take advantage of this drug so others who really need it have a hard time getting an Rx.

Senath
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 May 2012, 8:00 am

uranium23567 wrote:
diamorphone. I'm still somewhat torn because I keep hearing from both sides. ADD from my father, and AS from research, and a diagnosticians opinion (didn't actually interview me, but knew some of my symptoms)

There are a number of symptoms that fit both bills. But there are some classic red flags I do have, on the other hand, there are some common AS things that I DON'T HAVE

What I do have:
little sociability
speech deficiency (stutter)
no eye contact
social anxiety/depression
isolation
focus on single life subject (no hobbies otherwise)
ability to memorize tons of facts about aforementioned subject
high intelligence
hair twirling - since childhood -red flag
walking on tips of my toes - since I started walking - red flag
vocalizing my thoughts - redflag
I also have a...slight tendency to steer conversation my way. but anxiety and nervousness can cause this too
subject obsession
repeating patterns in life
separating my food on my plate from other food

but there is two CORE things that I have NO problem with:
reading peoples facial expressions
picking up on metaphors in conversation, something i'm actually VERY good at

so I don't know. Maybe i'm just somewhere imbetween. falling in another diagnosis hole like I do with everything else

I don't know how well I read facial expressions (my boyfriend doesn't think it's very good) but I do like metaphors. I come up with my own which spill out in conversation but because they're not well-known metaphors they're not always well received.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 8:23 am

No doubt here, I'm autistic. I've also been tested for ADHD, which I do not have. I still deal with how glaring some of my deficits are, which took me almost thirty years to be aware of. :?

CanisMajor
Toucan
Toucan

22 May 2012, 10:48 am

Wandering_Stranger wrote:
CanisMajor wrote:
As to diagnoses, I had it the other way around. When I was 14 I was diagnosed with ADHD, which didn't make any sense to me. I wasn't hyperactive in the least.

There is something called ADHD-PI. Don't ask me what PI stands for; but after Googling it, (this was a while back) it was basically ADD. Which confuses people like me who were led to believe that ADHD = hyperactivity.

ADHD-PI is "Predominantly Inattentive", and it's one of the three main subtypes (along with Predominantly hyperactive-impulsive, and Combined hyperactive-impulsive and inattentive.) But I wasn't that, either. In fact, the quick description on Wikipedia says that for ADHD-PI, "Children with this subtype are less likely to act out or have difficulties getting along with other children." (Emphasis mine.)

In order to be considered Predominantly Inattentive, a child also has to have six or more of the following traits:

* Be easily distracted, miss details, forget things, and frequently switch from one activity to another
* Have difficulty maintaining focus on one task
* Become bored with a task after only a few minutes, unless doing something enjoyable
* Have difficulty focusing attention on organizing and completing a task or learning something new or trouble completing or turning in homework assignments, often losing things (e.g., pencils, toys, assignments) needed to complete tasks or activities
* Not seem to listen when spoken to
* Daydream, become easily confused, and move slowly
* Have difficulty processing information as quickly and accurately as others
* Struggle to follow instructions.

I was mostly A's and B's in elementary school, never having a problem aside from social issues and times where I was believed to be defiant (even though I didn't think I was, such as the example in my previous comment.) I didn't daydream, I didn't jump around activities, become bored, etc etc. If I was to list the requirements for Predominantly hyperactive-impulsive or the combination one, it would become even further from the way I was/am.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 2:47 pm

yeah my sister was diagnosed with ADHD and Aspergers. Me and my parents are sure the aspergers is a misdiagnosis, shes incredibly social. She's never had problems reading social cues. I would guess that all her social problems stem from ADHD.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 3:12 pm

Diamorphine wrote:
There's thousands of mental/personality disorders out there. If ADHD and autism don't sound right then they probably aren't. Go to a doctor if you're curious what actually is wrong.

Actually, there is only 365 or so listed in the DSM.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

danmac
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2012, 5:24 pm

Ganondox wrote:
Diamorphine wrote:

Actually, there is only 365 or so listed in the DSM.

one for each day of the year!

walking on tips of my toes - since I started walking - red flag ............why is this a red flag?
my dx was nld? but i too have done this since i could walk?
i was told many times to walk heel toe, but if i don't think about it, it's what i always do :?

cavendish
Raven
Raven

22 May 2012, 6:06 pm

I have no real idea, of course, but one possible reason you were diagnosed with ADHD is because, quite frankly, there is money to be made off the condition. Diagnosis is made, medication is prescribed, the pharmacy takes their cut, the big drug companies make their billions, and that's just the way the game is played. I am new to this scene, so let me ask the question, Is there any medication designed just for Aspergers?

CanisMajor wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I was diagnosed with outcast: make sure to bully and alienate....at least that is the impression I get.

Unfortunately, outcast does not require a diagnosis. :? (It's also contagious, a fact that simply exacerbates its symptoms.)

As to diagnoses, I had it the other way around. When I was 14 I was diagnosed with ADHD, which didn't make any sense to me. I wasn't hyperactive in the least. My oldest brother had ADHD for sure (which perhaps was mentioned to my therapist and influenced her, in much the same way someone mentioned AS to yours.) But my oldest brother was a classic case, and he still exhibits some symptoms as an adult now (like pointing out random things and switching topic conversations out of nowhere.) I do those two things, but hyperactive? No way. My brother used to jump on the bed while holding my baby brother (which was actually the incident that caused my parents to get him diagnosed.) I never had a problem sitting still in class, though. I never had a problem sitting still at home, either (heck, I'd spend hours just sitting on my bed with my nose in a book!)

Luckily, though, when the therapist suggested that, I argued with my mom as to why I didn't think I had it, and she agreed with me. I shortly after stopped going to that therapist (I only went for about two months anyway, spending most of the time sitting in silence, giving one-word answers when a question was asked, since I didn't want to talk to a complete stranger. How in the world she thought I had a hyperactive attention disorder, I don't know. It was in the height of the "every kid has ADHD!" craze, though, so maybe there were other forces at work...)

I have since heavily researched both ADHD and AS, and looking at the list of ADHD symptoms and what is needed for a diagnosis, I'm even more baffled that anyone could ever have thought I had it. Similarly, I'm baffled as to how the therapist never guessed that I had AS. I never looked her in the eye, I was incredibly shy, and I'm sure my mom had told her how I didn't have many friends, but that I also got very good grades. Anyway, moral of the story is... Yes, make sure you get the right diagnosis! Research the associated traits, and if it sounds fishy or feels odd, get a second or third opinion (especially if the diagnosis leads to medication.)

cavendish
Raven
Raven

22 May 2012, 6:14 pm

The truth of the matter is, or at least seems to be, that they really don't know what to do with a lot of the people on this forum. Twenty years from now, they will know a lot more, but until then we may be pretty much on our own.

Diamorphine wrote: