Any alternative to drinking milk for lactose intolerant?

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

WarmAir
Raven
Raven

22 Apr 2013, 5:47 pm

I also have problems with milk. It makes me fart to much that I fumigate the whole room.

I drink almond milk with no problem. All the different brands taste different, so keep trying until you find one. Also, non-cows' milk is actually more expensive than cows' milk, but Lactaid milk is the most expensive (at least in the US). Actually, almond and soy milk is healthier than cows' milk, since alternative milk has more calcium and other vitamins.

The good news is that some people with a milk allergy can handle cheese and processed dairy. I have the ability of eating cheese without a problem. If you do have a problem with processed dairy, there are vegan products you can use (but tastes nasty bad).

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2013, 7:29 pm

Yogurt
Soy milk

Jinks
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Apr 2013, 4:21 am

I've found I prefer the alternatives to milk. I like almond milk, soy milk, and rice milk all better than regular milk. They do all have particular tastes though, which are quite different from cow's milk, so you will probably need to experiment to find out which (and which brand) you like best.

On the subject, has anyone found a dairy free cheese alternative which tastes good? I am very happy with the milk substitutes, but I really like cheese, and my attempts to find a dairy free cheese substitute have so far been disappointing. I've tried a couple of different soy-based cheese substitutes and thought both tasted terrible.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2013, 4:35 am

8bitKnight wrote:
I seem to have a lactose intolerance and I haven't drank milk in over a year. I think there might be other people her that have the same problem, so what should I drink to get the same benefit that milk provides?

You may be OK with cheese and yoghourt even if you can't drink milk. For milk, you could try rice milk, soya milk, almond milk etc. there are usually fortified versions of some of them.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2013, 4:46 am

I love cow milk. And I also love soy milk. I like the fact that when I'm drinking soy milk it's more like drinking juice as opposed to drinking something that squirted out of an animal. I don't have to worry about soy adding plaque to my arteries. Almond milk is delicious too.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2013, 6:14 am

My daughter takes a coconut based milk and I take almond milk, both fortified and unsweetened. Almond milk is great for adding to tea/coffee. I wouldn't recommend soya milk, due to its hormonal effects.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2013, 11:02 am

Like many people have posted, I'd recommend almond milk. It's really good stuff :D

crookedfingers
Raven
Raven

23 Apr 2013, 12:19 pm

I tend to prefer almond or goats milk, oat milk is quite nice too.

WarmAir
Raven
Raven

26 Apr 2013, 5:44 pm

I'm very fussy when it comes to my almond milk. Want to know something good: my mom went out and bought the right kind, because I didn't have the time to go to the market. She doesn't even drink it. Also, I live in my own apartment. She cut out the front of the container, and used that to match up her present with what I drank at her place. Isn't that great!

matt
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 8:07 pm

Almond milk tastes much better than regular milk. It's absolutely delicious, but it always hurts my stomach, so I've only had it a few times.

Lactose-free milk is available, and it tastes a lot like regular milk.