Who else here underachieved in school and work?

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2014, 7:57 pm

In High school my scores were heavily weighted to verbal and writing skills. Math was always a problem for me. Socially I was completely incompetent.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2014, 9:51 pm

I am, on both counts. I barely graduated highschool. Looking back at it I think it was a bit ironic because during my free time in highschool, I built a working gas turbine engine; hence my sceen name :lol:
[img][img][800:767]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj314/jetbuilder/100_1075_zpsfb7bef63.jpg[/img][/img]

I've been able to hold down my jobs, but I've pretty much stayed at an entry level position. I've been given higher positions, but I wasn't able to keep up and I was sent back to my original position. Currently I detail cars at a high end dealership. The detail department is pretty much the entry level positions. I am, however, in the higher of the two positions (porters and detailers) in the department. There have been several times I've come close to being fired, which one was mostly not my fault. I got in trouble for not catching someone's mistake and was nearly fired for it. I've been told that some people at my work don't like me and think I'm perpetually angry :?

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2014, 11:26 pm

jetbuilder wrote:
I am, on both counts. I barely graduated highschool. Looking back at it I think it was a bit ironic because during my free time in highschool, I built a working gas turbine engine; hence my sceen name :lol:
[img][img][800:767]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj314/jetbuilder/100_1075_zpsfb7bef63.jpg[/img][/img]

I've been able to hold down my jobs, but I've pretty much stayed at an entry level position. I've been given higher positions, but I wasn't able to keep up and I was sent back to my original position. Currently I detail cars at a high end dealership. The detail department is pretty much the entry level positions. I am, however, in the higher of the two positions (porters and detailers) in the department. There have been several times I've come close to being fired, which one was mostly not my fault. I got in trouble for not catching someone's mistake and was nearly fired for it. I've been told that some people at my work don't like me and think I'm perpetually angry :?

wow :o my uber engineering and maths oriented oldest brother would love to see that jet engine creation of yours :wtg: can you tell me what fuel powers it and how much noise does it make? how many stages? any other calculations of its shaft horsepower/rpm/thrust? very interesting!

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 10:40 am

It runs on gasoline. It uses a standard car fuel pump and injector. Its very loud. Ear protection is a must! Both the compressor and turbine are single stage radial flow. I basically built it around an old Volvo turbocharger.

I don't mean to hijack this thread..... Carry on :lol:

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

Wind
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 1:55 pm

I sucked at school, college, work and anything else that needed concentration and absorbing information. I also skipped school all the time, and college, and often work, but not as often, because I relied on the money.

Empathy Quotient: 8
I have ASD, ADHD, Hypermobility Syndrome.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 11:08 am

beneficii wrote:
Misery wrote:
It got derpier though. One thing I was really bad at was making it back to my locker to switch out books for the next class, and then actually making it to the class, in the silly FIVE or so minutes they give you to accomplish this. How was I supposed to do that in such a huge building filled with crowds? So I had the brilliant idea of just carrying them all at once, in my backpack that I dragged around.... likely this was the true cause of the back problems I would develop much later.

Did the exact same thing in high school, so much that I saw later that they mentioned it in my IEP, but none of them seemed to ask why I was doing that. They just saw it as a "problem" to be solved.

This is my son. One year they indicated that the fact that he wore his winter coat throughout the day was due to some social maladjustment or some kind of security blanket or psychological protective mechanism. He does have social issues, and although I didn't view it as an impossibility, it didn't seem like "him" either.

So, I asked him why he wore his coat all day.

He said it was because it was too hard for him to go to his locker between classes.

if I am to be completely honest, I am not sure he knows where his locker is this year.

Due to security concerns (even though the school is very safe and in a very low crime area), kids are not allowed to carry backpacks around school. I got him a binder that has a strap on it and permission for him to carry one of those drawstring bags.

But back to the initial question...I was an academic underachiever until I got into the military. The imposition of high structure somehow snapped me out of it. I was at the top or second to the top in each and every training environment I was in. I went to college in the military and graduated with high honors, even though I didn't graduate with any type of honors in high school.

For my IQ and analytical skills, I think I am "underachieving" at work. There's just so much to struggle against with ADD. It doesn't leave me the bandwidth to participate at my full ability, I think.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 11:15 am

Failed school, failed college, haven't worked yet but have volunteered at autism groups and radio presenting and work on a perpetual huge project which may or may not succeed in the long run.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 11:59 am

I had a less than 1 GPA throughout K-12. Well, I didn't actually make it to 12 I was expelled in grade 10. I never could hold down a job for more than six months when I was working for other people. I recently dropped out of college with a 3.8 GPA, simply because I couldn't handle the environmental aspects (noise, lights, being physically close to people, etc.) and the pressure to work in groups. I recently started doing something that I really enjoy (crafting) and I'd like to make a career selling my crafts online. However, I don't think online sales are going to be enough. I'll likely have to deal directly with the public in order to make enough money to live on from it so I don't know how it will work out.

ThorAlex
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Mar 2014, 12:43 pm

Me too, just barely got trough school. After school i was in the the navy for a year, i had a desk job on a navy base which was 90% just being present, (I worked the library), the navy was a really good year for me. After that i started studying IT, dropped out half way into first year. Then it was a Bachelors degree in nature conservation, I'm on my 6th year out of 3... But now social services has me working part-time (for free) in a related buissnes, with the goal (over a few years) to finish my degree and get experience to get a real full time job in the field. And with half the people i work with retiring in the next few years the chances are pretty good for that. I'ts a cool place to work, only 6 people, regular short breaks to chat and read newspapers, and the occasional field work. Suits me pretty well!

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 1:17 pm

I'm an underachiever.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 9:58 pm

underachiever in school and BIG underachiever in the military.

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 9:04 am

That would be me. I hated school and I liked school. I like when I was able to learn and do things at my own pace. I hated being told WHAT to learn and HOW to learn it and I hated the other social aspects of school.

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult

artificialperson
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Mar 2014, 12:14 pm

I was terrible at school. I never got any assignments done. It was a great source of stress for me, and each September, I thought this time it would be different, but it was always the same. I scored high on intelligence tests but it didn't mean anything to me because it obviously didn't reflect my abilities. I'm 40 now and things are still the same. I'm very bad at completing projects. When I read on my own, I can absorb information like a sponge. Textbooks have always been my favorite reading material.