Can Mind Altering Drugs Make ASD Worse?

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 7:40 pm

I personally believe in the Intense World Theory.

I think drugs can effect emotional release or cause drama, based on the how they are used.

In sub-threshold doses, they can be adaptogenic.

But, the MAOI's, like Banisteriopsis, can cause dangerous interactions with common foods and OTC medicines. It is somewhat comparable to a prescription pharm, in being an SSRI. But, alt media blames this class of medications for school shootings.

I don't think opinionated people on either side of the discussion are in favor of taking inventory of pro's and con's and practicing informed consent. Libertines never acknowledge the bad, and prudes never acknowledge the good, when there is some of both. Why not be a connoisseur.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 10:06 pm

I haven't used anything except booze and my prescriptions for a while now and I'm peaceful with that, I don't know if I will embark upon another patch of heavier drug use in the future but the years I used things I explored a hell of a lot of territory I'd never have reached otherwise, or would have taken a decade trying to. I ended up expanding on a lot of creative avenues and mental analysis, as I moved along from that swathe, I chose to pursue autism as it was a possibility I'd decided was the prime candidate for being the material rippling behind the surface of my life. I never touched anything significant before that period of my life and I'd gone through hard therapy prior to it and many challenging life events so had a decent grip on myself before letting drugs into my mind. I'm happy I explored what I did but I wouldn't recommend using things unless you are resilient and have a direction to use as a base and understand the complications that can arise.

TudorGothicSerpent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Oct 2016, 10:22 pm

Usually, a one time use of a psychoactive substance isn't really going to have long term neurological effects, although it may have positive or negative psychological effects if the experience from it is extreme enough in one direction or the other. A small but rather feisty fish once told me that it had used hallucinogens on occasion, and had positive effects from them in the long-term despite a short-term spike in anxiety and some rather unfortunate visual imagery (including a very angry door, lots of people telling it how much they hated it, and a lot of strangely meaty splotches of mold growing on the ceiling with long tendrils reaching down and dead spiders caught in the tendrils). This fish was kind of a messed up fish, and it helped in a way to be forced to confront the fears that it coped with through avoidance. Obviously, though, it wouldn't advocate that anyone else try that, because...well, this was a messed up fish that didn't always make wise choices.