What is your opinion on the "HFA vs AS" debate?

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2018, 8:02 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
There seems to be a lot of talk here about speech delays, when is speech officially considered delayed?

DSM IV CRITERIA FOR ASPERGER'S DISORDER
Quote:
There is no clinically significant general delay in language (e.g., single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by age 3 years).

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2018, 8:10 pm

HistoryGal wrote:
The OP was asking for opinions. You disparaged instead of simply providing the OP with your opinion. That was rude.You can disagree without telling someone they are wrong.

I understood what you said and I agree. HFA/classic autism is always going to appear much earlier than Aspergers because of the speech delay.

Now when I say appear, I of course mean observed. Not manifested. The same as you meant.

I agree the person you're referring to is often quite rude and should work on that.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2018, 8:12 pm

HistoryGal wrote:
Plus HFA often shows up real early in childhood. Asperger's seems to be later.
My opinion is that Asperger's doesn't show up later, it's just that for aspies will often find that hit the level where they really experience problems (as in the expectations surpass their level) a little bit later in life.
Which still would mean they're not the exact same conditions.

TheAP wrote:
Asperger's, when it was a diagnosis in the DSM, was similar to autism, but ruled out a speech delay (though not all people with autism have a speech delay either). It also didn't require communication difficulties (though some Aspies have them) and required fewer symptoms overall. HFA, though never an official diagnostic term, usually refers to those without intellectual or verbal impairment. The visual vs. verbal aspect is just a generalization, and doesn't apply to all.
Most things about AS is a generalization though. Very few will have all the traits.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Si_82
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2018, 5:19 am

It depends if you're talking technically or not. Technically speaking, from a UK standpoint, both are not really officially recognised conditions so there isn't really a set definition to compare any more.

Stating the obvious, HFA is the old now-retired diagnosis of Autism with the coloquial but non-technical prefix of high-functioning. Asperger's Syndrome is also a retired medical definition.

I don't know how much is to be gained by comparing such messy and historic terms. But, given that the question essentially asks for comparison between Kaner Autism and Aspergers Syndrome definitions, the only big technical difference I'm aware of is mutism or significant verbal delay in the case of autism (HFA) which isn't required in AS. By adulthood, this isn't relevant anymore rendering the two the same to all intents and purposes.

However, things aren't always that straightforward and, since my ASD diagnosis five years ago, I have tended to use high-functioning autism when speaking to the laymen and ASD when speaking to doctors and professionals. I do that to account for common old-fashioned preconceptions people have about the word autism. There is an argument that this does a disservice to the wider autistic community by being seen to be almost distancing myself from the condition by emphasising my functionality despite it.

Si

Alexithymia: 137

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2018, 1:54 pm

To me I think Aspergers and High-functioning autism is like shyness vs social anxiety. They both look very similar on the surface but once you break them down and learn why they do the things that they do, then you realize that they aren't the exact same thing.

What those differences are I have no idea but, I do feel like there are differences.

One topic I have observed trying to differentiate the two(my own observations based on myself and others.) Is that on "friendship". I see a lot of those with Aspergers or self-diagnosed Aspergers have had a friend or recognized what a friend was but it seem like they don't have interest in having friends or very particular with who they choose to be their friend.

I myself don't have friends because I just don't know what it is. I don't recognize it and I can't tell when someone is a friend.
It isn't lack of interest it's just not knowing what it is.

That could be one difference in AS and HFA or it couldn't, I only know from myself and what I read or observed in a person which could be wrong.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2018, 7:55 pm

Si_82 wrote:

Stating the obvious, HFA is the old now-retired diagnosis of Autism with the coloquial but non-technical prefix of high-functioning. Asperger's Syndrome is also a retired medical definition.

In what manual was HFA/High Functioning Autism ever a diagnosis, or is a diagnosis now?

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2018, 9:37 pm

In my opinion, there should not be a differentiation between “high-functioning autism” and what was formerly diagnosed as Asperger’s. To start, HFA was never included in any diagnostic manual, and was merely a term used by some professionals originally to describe patients who had more classic signs of autism (primarily speech delay) in early childhood.

The issue with this was that despite the language deficit, patients diagnosed HFA were virtually undetectable from their Asperger’s counterparts later in life. Everyone experiences autism at least slightly differently, and there likely/definitely isn’t one cause for the wide diversity of symptoms and variations within the spectrum. However, it is superfluous to have separate diagnoses for disorders with the same presentations. It is irrelevant and becomes very confusing when trying to differentiate between disorders “on the autism spectrum.” Autism presents differently in each person affected. We don’t need subcategories within the diagnosis to describe groups of people.

This is why the diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder makes much more sense when it comes to diagnosis and treatment options. It is specified, such as when adding “with or without accompanying language impairment” as well as the level of support required. It doesn’t require certain isolated groups within the autism community. A person has “autism spectrum disorder,” period. Not HFA, Asperger’s, CDD, Heller’s/Kanner’s Syndrome, autistic disorder, or anything in between. This makes it easier for those diagnosed, professionals, and loved ones to truly understand the disorder. This is just my own opinion, though.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2018, 9:42 pm

On a personal level, it's a bit funny. :lol:
It's likely to do with being more of an HFA and being formally qualified for AS as a diagnosis.
Because in my case: No speech delay, unlike what makes most of HFA. And PIQ>VIQ/lack of NVLD profile, unlike what makes most with those who are diagnosed with Aspergers if someone looks it that way.

On top of that... I live in a comparatively outdated system. Do accounts of US and UK count here? I dunno. For all I know, it's not how it's implemented here.
As the top diagnostician here only ever talk about labels to guardians, but never writes any diagnostic labels down on any evaluation report. (Said diagnostician is the very guy who diagnosed me)

On the serious level, it varies.
It's obsolete if it is based on IQ and speech. That didn't helped much.
Based on difference and gap of VIQ and PIQ, maybe I understand. But there's the 'AS vs NVLD' already, and other things to take account of what measures these aptitudes.
But if it's basing it on physicality and the ability to look inconspicuous, especially at childhood? I'd be laughing. Because it's what may likely led my diagnosis as AS instead of HFA. But better within the autistic spectrum, than mistaken as something else entirely.
If the debate is actually about differences in social motivation and success, it's pointless. Because neither labels are personality types, nor an outcome of circumstances. As any neurology may even have the same experience and opinions about sociality, people or society as whole.

And so on, and so on... Whatever it is based to, and how it is debated.
Mostly it's 'as long as it doesn't help in the long run, it's pointless to debate about it'. Case to case basis still, no matter the label -- that's my serious opinion.

Still, for me, it's personally funny. :lol: No matter how others thought about it.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2018, 9:20 am

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
In my opinion, there should not be a differentiation between “high-functioning autism” and what was formerly diagnosed as Asperger’s. To start, HFA was never included in any diagnostic manual, and was merely a term used by some professionals originally to describe patients who had more classic signs of autism (primarily speech delay) in early childhood.

The issue with this was that despite the language deficit, patients diagnosed HFA were virtually undetectable from their Asperger’s counterparts later in life. Everyone experiences autism at least slightly differently, and there likely/definitely isn’t one cause for the wide diversity of symptoms and variations within the spectrum. However, it is superfluous to have separate diagnoses for disorders with the same presentations. It is irrelevant and becomes very confusing when trying to differentiate between disorders “on the autism spectrum.” Autism presents differently in each person affected. We don’t need subcategories within the diagnosis to describe groups of people.

This is why the diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder makes much more sense when it comes to diagnosis and treatment options. It is specified, such as when adding “with or without accompanying language impairment” as well as the level of support required. It doesn’t require certain isolated groups within the autism community. A person has “autism spectrum disorder,” period. Not HFA, Asperger’s, CDD, Heller’s/Kanner’s Syndrome, autistic disorder, or anything in between. This makes it easier for those diagnosed, professionals, and loved ones to truly understand the disorder. This is just my own opinion, though.

IMHO making Aspergers a seperate diagnosis was a mistake. I am in favor of more and better Autism subcategories probably centered around the persons most prominent traits. I also think some of the conditions currently thought of as co morbids are autistic traits and should be Autism subcategories. Aspergers should not come back as a subcatagory due to what has recently been revealed about Hans Asperger’s Nazi complicity. I only still have AS in my user because you can not change your username nor have 2 seperate accounts.

For pretty much every condition there are subcategories. For cancers the subcatagories are based a stagies a similar concept to Autism severity and based on location of the cancer, there are types of depression and so on. The confusion laregly stems from the fact that autism is a relatively recently discovered condition, the causes are not really known yet, and there is still disagreement as to what it is. In a perfect world as science figures out better what Autism is and the causes of it become known better diagnostic subcatogories will emerge. With Autism I have my doubts this is going to happen due the widespread idea that Autism subcatagories are divisive and ableist. The people lableing other conditions are not generally working under this burden. There is not any type of notion from people with stage 4 cancer that people with stage 0 cancer do not really have cancer and thus can not speak for them. Certain Stage 0 people do not dislike the term cancer because they do not want the association with stage 4 cancer.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 10:39 am

Well, my opinion is I'm not sure there is a clear as glass differentiation between the two, as when I was 3 years old, I was identified as being classically autistic; though very much later in life was diagnosed as having Asperger. Honestly, I'm not concerned with wording rather simply acknowledging person(s) as being within the spectrum overall.

ShadowProphet
Toucan
Toucan

10 Aug 2018, 1:01 pm

Aspergers and autism are not two separate diagnoses. Autism is like a spectrum and aspergers syndrome is on the high end of the spectrum. If you have Asperger syndrome, then you have a form of high-functioning autism.

To have high-functioning autism you need to have cognitive skills that are at least normal (Have an IQ of 80 or higher) and you have the capability of living and functioning on your own.

emilyjh75
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Aug 2018, 6:49 pm

It is my opinion that the term and usage of "Asperger's" only existed to make people feel better about not being diagnosed as "Autistic." It's also my opinion that Asperger's, particularly in the US, has been over-diagnosed and inappropriately applied. I agree with the elimination of Asperger's from the DSM and I don't think any professional has ever said they think it's two different conditions - it's only the common people who argue about it, and I think it's because most people are not comfortable mixing up the "low functioning" and "high functioning" groups. Probably because we've always viewed Autism as completely disabling, and folding in Asperger's cases challenges that view. So now we'll either have to call people with Asperger's disabled - which many don't want, or have to call Autism not necessarily disabling - which many others reject.

Scientifically speaking, they've already proved that AUT and ASP brains are similarly divergent from NT brains. There are some minor differences between AUT and ASP, which probably accounts for the increased verbal abilities and social awareness, but they're the same basic divergence.

I also don't buy the speech delay distinction. It's handy for scientific labeling, but it really means nothing for adult functioning. I am extremely verbal, pretty socially adept (at least, in short-term interactions), but have never been able to keep a job nor make friends. I'm diagnosed ASD 1, but I'm fairly sure if I'd been diagnosed 10 years earlier, they would have diagnosed me Asperger's, because I come across so "normal." Contrast this with my friend who has Autism, diagnosed as a child, very obviously disabled. He has speech issues and is much more stereotypically autistic than I am. He lives independently, had much more success in employment and has a pretty decent social support system. In many ways, he's higher functioning than I am. I just pass for normal better. To me, that smacks of privilege, and I kind of resent the assumption that I'd *want* to be labeled "Asperger's" simply because I can pass for being not-so-autistic.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2018, 8:37 pm

When Asperger's was a diagnosis, in order to get the diagnosis, you had to be able to prove that you had traits and symptoms in early childhood. Even if all of the traits and symptoms were not strongly obvious to lay people, a good diagnostician would be able to recognize that they were there in early childhood from the history provided. You cannot develop Aperger's or Autism later in life, the traits and symptoms must be present since early childhood to get a diagnosis.

Wreck It Ralph