Tell tales of when people insulted your intelligence!

Page 2 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2007, 1:42 am

Yipes...pardon me for saying, but it sounds like your mom had anger control issues (i just got finished reading your post in the head trauma thread)

Um...lemme think....

I was teased when I finally made it into gifted and talented classes (five years behind all the other kids who had started in 3rd grade) for being dumber than everyone else in the class.

My first grade teacher frequently called me a "little idiot" and dolled out all sorts of weird punishments.

I am glad that I didn't make it into the "Vanguard" program in elementary school because there was a group of girls from that program who would go out of their way to humiliate me, even though my class was on a whole seperate wing from theirs....but that was more to do with my social ineptitude than my intelligence...

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2007, 2:32 am

A lot of people often tell me the definition of words when they are using them -_- or will explain something in 5 different ways. I don't mind when I really don't get exactly what they mean, but after I say "I got it" the first time, it seems it should stop there...

People often tend to forget that I can easily forget the first sentence they said by the time they are done talking, and if I ask them to repeat the first part over again, they always tell me the entire thing over... and over just to make sure I heard it all.

I'm my own guinea pig.

Cernunnos
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2007, 4:27 am

I have my intelligence insulted practically everyday. I work in a university as a member of support staff and several of the academic staff & graduate students tend to think that you're thick or inferior or both, because you didn't have the drive to go through the PhD process.

Bolle47
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Sep 2007, 6:43 am

I get insulted because of my problems with expressing my thoughts. I know the meaning of what I'm thinking but lack the words.
So i do alot of uuhs and ææhh before i finish a sentence. I know I'm not stupid just a little slow. :oops:

myeyesseekreality
Raven
Raven

07 Sep 2007, 7:17 am

edal wrote:
My boss once called me a moron but when questioned further he didn't know what one was. FYI a moron is someone with an IQ below 70.

Ed Almos
IQ 139

That's interestingly funny, but I.Q. below 70 is mental retardation, and that is performance on an I.Q. test. There are plenty of people on the spectrum who are geniuses that score that low due to the way the tests are made. As well as people diagnosed mentally ret*d itself. I've been around many people that are classed Down syndrome, and other forms of mental retardation, and not one of them was a moron.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2007, 7:26 am

myeyesseekreality wrote:
edal wrote:
My boss once called me a moron but when questioned further he didn't know what one was. FYI a moron is someone with an IQ below 70.

Ed Almos
IQ 139

That's interestingly funny, but I.Q. below 70 is mental retardation, and that is performance on an I.Q. test. There are plenty of people on the spectrum who are geniuses that score that low due to the way the tests are made. As well as people diagnosed mentally ret*d itself. I've been around many people that are classed Down syndrome, and other forms of mental retardation, and not one of them was a moron.

He's talking about the official labels that used to be used (not anymore).

Back when the Stanford-Binet was first created, these were the labels for below-average IQs:

55-84: Moron
40-54: Imbecile
Below 40: Idiot

Real kind, weren't they? Those are archaic though, and are no longer in use.

myeyesseekreality
Raven
Raven

07 Sep 2007, 7:45 am

Bolle47 wrote:
I get insulted because of my problems with expressing my thoughts. I know the meaning of what I'm thinking but lack the words.
So i do alot of uuhs and ææhh before i finish a sentence. I know I'm not stupid just a little slow. :oops:

I have that problem as well. It takes me a long time to find the word for certain pictures in my head. Ever since I was a child I've had my intelligance insulted daily due to that, and social ignorance. Unforunately even as hard as I try I can't seem to learn social corectness. I finally just gave up. I'm 30 if I haven't learned it by now I never will.

The worst of being insulted came when I had a meltdown in Walmart. Squeaking shopping cart's are my enemy. I can hear one across a building like it was right next to me, and it causes me lots of pain. In thier infanate coorporate wisdom the local Walmart had the plastic parts that prevent that noise wear out on many of thier carts, so they removed all of them on the damaged ones. I went with my mom to get some gifts I believe, and she had to go some where else. I was told to stay with the cart, and watch her purse. I tried plugging my ears, and humming, but ten people with squeaky carts went by, and I overloaded quick. I fell to the floor rocking, and screaming. I had people try to come up, and help me. I managed to get out telling them to go away when they tried to touch me. If they touched me I would have lost all control. I started banging my head on near by boxes as it got worse. Most of the people with the bad carts were now far away from me by the time a manager came. I wasn't able to communicate well, and stuck on what my mom told me to do, and all I could get out was I'm Autistic, and must stay with the cart. Her kid is Autistic, and she still continued to talk to me like I'm stupid. I wanted to tell her so bad to stop treating me like an idiot, and do what I do when I'm fully verbal, and someone treats me like that. I say things in very complex large words, and insult thier intelligance back. Needless to say my mom got back, talked to her, and I headed out the door.

I informed Walmart that they are blocking access to people with senrory integration, and talked about going to see government people. They now have all new quiet shopping carts. :D

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2007, 2:08 pm

Wow; that's a great story, MESR! :lol:

Another time my intelligence was insulted was when I was 14 and my mother printed out a quiz that measured if I probably had AS, and she cut the bottom (which said something about some autism association) off and told me to take the quiz, not telling me what it was. I knew what it was but I took it just to prove I didn't have many autistic tendencies. I found the other part of the paper in her room, but I had known anyway. She said she had cut it off because she didn't want me to suspect and cheat. She honestly thought I would never have suspected, even though 1) the quiz asked this kind of stuff and 2) the bottom of the page was suspiciously cut off!

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2007, 2:27 pm

Ana54 wrote:
Wow; that's a great story, MESR! :lol:

YEAH MESR! I hope you DID go back and make HER look like an idiot. Sometimes I almost FEEL like doing what you did with the meltdown, but happily never have. YIKES! I can't imagine how bad that is.

lucy1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Oct 2007, 9:43 pm

Bolle47 wrote:

I have this problem - is it cause we are slow? - I can achieve well acamedically - but I can't say what I think. ???? why is this?

Quote:
that meant to them that I'm not able to tell my right from my left.

I honestly cannot tell my left from right.

I got told I was stupid a couple days - someone took time to compare me to others in a group - describing their attributes - and my lack thereoff .... nice guy!! ! :roll: prat.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2007, 9:46 pm

My aunt last night scorned my degree, saying it hadn't got me any jobs, and degrees don't get you jobs. I pointed out my brother, who has got a job almost immediately on completion of his degree.

On sabbatical...

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2007, 10:22 pm

lucy1 wrote:
Bolle47 wrote:

I have this problem - is it cause we are slow? - I can achieve well acamedically - but I can't say what I think. ???? why is this?

I hate to say it, but it looks like this IS an AS symptom. A while ago, a number of people here spoke about it. I have always tried to hide it. It is mainly because I am trying to determine the best course, etc...

It is REALLY funny! A person could ask me about something that happened 2 weeks ago when something caused me to "forget" it. I may bluff along. a few seconds later, I may have a vague memory about it. Within a minute, I may have it all recalled in ESCRUCIATING detail! I am NOT kidding! One second I have NO idea what they are talking about, and the NEXT I know WORD FOR WORD everything said. My ONLY saving grace is that I remember more than they do, and often THEY slipped up, and I reveal that.

That happened YESTERDAY, in fact. I remembered I researched the whole thing, and told them PRECISELY how to recover. THEY dropped the ball.

Spot17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Oct 2007, 10:25 pm

edal wrote:

Ed Almos
IQ 139

Please tell me you pointed that out to him.

Spot17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Oct 2007, 10:28 pm

Cernunnos wrote:
I have my intelligence insulted practically everyday. I work in a university as a member of support staff and several of the academic staff & graduate students tend to think that you're thick or inferior or both, because you didn't have the drive to go through the PhD process.

I can completely see that happening. I'd get another job if I were you, unless of course you're planning on applying to grad school there.

Spot17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Oct 2007, 10:32 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
myeyesseekreality wrote:
edal wrote:

Ed Almos
IQ 139

He's talking about the official labels that used to be used (not anymore).

Back when the Stanford-Binet was first created, these were the labels for below-average IQs:

55-84: Moron
40-54: Imbecile
Below 40: Idiot

Real kind, weren't they? Those are archaic though, and are no longer in use.

QFT

Spot17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Oct 2007, 10:47 pm

I've been pretty much told I was smart my whole life. I had one incident in 3rd grade where the teacher at my school (she was 75 years old and very cranky) ridiculed me in front of the class because I was having a hard time grasping multiplication of two three digit numbers. I don't know why, I was usually good at math, but I just couldn't understand the concept. I had a horrible meltdown and just sat there shaking and sobbing my eyes out. She made me stay at my desk like that while she and the rest of the class went outside for midday break (about 30 min). By the time they got back in, I knew how to do it.

Other than that, my ex-husband used to call me stupid all the time. I never really believed him though, I just figured he was being an ass.