Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

lupin
Toucan
Toucan

04 Jan 2008, 5:57 pm

My ex (an aspie) could never say my name. It was a major bone of contention at the end. There was something that (metaphorically) stuck in her throat about actually saying it. We never got to the bottom of why.

I used to have a bit of a problem addressing people by their name - and I can't understand why. It's probaly the only part of my AS behaviour that I cannot find an explanation for or even describe easily. There seems to be absolutely no reason for (not like avoiding noise, lights, people - those are easy for me to explain).

But I think I trained myself to say people's names - if anything I may use them a littel more than others do.

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2008, 6:09 pm

zendell wrote:
If you say hi to someone without saying their name, they will think you don't know their name and think you don't see them as your friend. You should try to remember names of people you want to be friends with and always say their name when you greet them.

You know, that might make sense...I recently met a guy I knew from freshman year again. He said my name, but I didn't say his. He said "I don't expect you to remember my name" (I did know his name, and told him so :wink:).

Problem is, sometimes I forget people's names...faces, too.

Also, I can see where it might help to avoid confusion. I've had people who've told me they thought my name was "Ian" or "Bill". :P