Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

autism_diva
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Jan 2008, 1:09 am

My ASD kid has nystagmus. But it's only noticeable when s/he looks up, down, left or right as far as possible. Eye doctors test for it by having people look to the right, left, etc without moving their heads.

In my kid's case it's probably caused by Arnold-Chiari syndrome (a not too uncommon brain malformation of the brain stem).

I don't remember ever hearing about people being able to do it at will (being a symptom of anything). Maybe you just have extreme control over your eye movements? I've seen people do it on video (deliberately) to be funny.

I say my kid has bouncy eyeballs.

When police officers try to get a suspected drunk person to follow the officer's finger to the side with his or her eyes, that's called a "horizontal gaze nystagmus" test. If you're eyes bounce, then it's a sign you may be drunk.
http://www.areavoices.com/rpdacademy/im ... _89232.jpg

SirLogiC
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jan 2008, 2:51 am

joku_muko wrote:
Don't think so, but I have this problem with clear like dots swimming around in my view for as long as I can remember it happens at different times I haven't figured out what triggers it.

Do they seem like clear rings or blobs that float across your vision but are really faint? I see something like that.

I heard on the radio that its actually the bacteria swimming across your eye. In certain light levels and colours in the background (blue sky is good) you can see em. Dont know exactly how accurate this is but Id believe it.

hypermorphic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Jan 2008, 3:46 am

KimJ wrote:
I went to school with a kid who shook his eyes. But he did it on purpose to freak people out. This kid was weird, I mean weird. Crazy bedhair, a belt that stuck out, braces forever and he was really pale with big eyes. And he'd say stuff that would be funny. If someone tried to tease him or yell at him, he'd stare and shake his eyes at you. It was like he had the last laugh because it was so frightening. He was also enrolled in special ed but we never knew why. (this was 25-30 years ago)

Digressed but I've never heard of anyone else doing it. He did really fast too,

I can make my eyes shake really fast like that, and yes, for some reason people find it really unsettling and have to look away after a second or two. I usually do it as a "stupid human trick" to make to people laugh, but never thought about using it defensively as a kid. Maybe I should try it at work sometime :wink:

I also have Grave's disease, which I mention because it causes the same symptoms you mentioned (pale skin, big eyes, manic behavior) and results in larger than normal eye muscles, so maybe there's a connection there. I think the voluntary version is very different than the slow drift of nystagmus, though.

If anyone wants to see nystagmus in action, the morbidly obese patient on House last season (3x06) mentions having it. It's not central to plot but was added because the actor has it in real life and his eyes drift throughout the episode.

Last edited by hypermorphic on 13 Jan 2008, 4:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 3:57 am

joku_muko wrote:
Don't think so, but I have this problem with clear like dots swimming around in my view for as long as I can remember it happens at different times I haven't figured out what triggers it.

Me too! So does one-winged-angel! we see them at the same time. I always thought maybe it was germs or bacteria on my eyes and somehow i could see it, but they are in front of the eye.

ASPERGERSJOHN
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jan 2008, 4:01 am

lastcrazyhorn wrote:
I don't really know how to explain it. It's just that my eyes will shake really fast or slide around various directions really fast, and I can make the room visually shake and bounce.

Anyone else?

I do not experience this.

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 12:01 pm

I don't really know how else to explain further but clear floating or dancing dots except maybe they move in a circle like and are a little disorienting. I've had them in the shower, eating, walking, sitting, lying down, almost any time really. The dehydration thing makes sense. I don't drink water don't like the taste. I don't drink a lot if I know I'm going anywhere and even if I'm not I don't drink as much liquid as recommended.

excluded_middle
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Jan 2008, 7:08 pm

yeah, I occasionally get this and it lasts for a while, quite strange.

DingoDv
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 7:22 pm

the objects you see are floaters, they are small bits of protein and such that are floating around inside your eye.
You should only worry about them if they are very big and suddenly appeared as this is a sign of retinal detachment,

As for shaking of eyes, a friend once commented that of the people he knew, only people who had less than perfect vision, ie wore glasses or contacts, could do it

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 8:25 pm

DingoDv wrote:

As for shaking of eyes, a friend once commented that of the people he knew, only people who had less than perfect vision, ie wore glasses or contacts, could do it

I could do it way before I ever wore glasses.

Now my only question is, how do you pronounce nystagmus?

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2008, 1:47 am

ShadesOfMe wrote:
joku_muko wrote:

Me too! So does one-winged-angel! we see them at the same time. I always thought maybe it was germs or bacteria on my eyes and somehow i could see it, but they are in front of the eye.

Could be Floaters, bits of organic debris floating in the jelly-like fluid that fills the eye. All people have floaters, the brain can unconsciously screen them out.

dalhousie12
Veteran
Veteran

Location: A frozen baron wasteland, me and my friend tuk have to watch out for flying frozen hockey pucks Eh!

14 Jan 2008, 10:58 am

My left eye will twitch from time to time as well.

maddie

14 Jan 2008, 11:08 am

i get this sometimes but only when i am tired or stressed, and most of the time if i close them for a while it stops

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2008, 12:47 pm

http://www.allaboutvision.com/condition ... floats.htm

Hmm, mine don't look like that. I would consider mine a little more light flashy and not so clear and mine are dots not strands.

TutuFairy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2008, 4:03 pm

Holy crap. I thought I was alone on that. My eyes don't vibrate continuously, but every once in a while they will like, shake really fast for about a second and I blink. It's actually really weird. I can't explain it...

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2010, 5:32 pm

Nystagmus
Strabismus

Petit mal/absence (and so on)

Other

FemmeFatale
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Sep 2010, 7:31 pm

Autism Diva gave the answer I planned to post. My nystagmus is caused by the Chiari malformation. When I was a child, the movement of stationary items scared me. I understand it now.

<When police officers try to get a suspected drunk person to follow the officer's finger to the side with his or her eyes, that's called a "horizontal gaze nystagmus" test. If you're eyes bounce, then it's a sign you may be drunk. >

... and with the corresponding problem with equilibrium, one can get a DUI driving while sober!