Page 12 of 12 [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2011, 10:20 pm

Mdyar wrote:
My point is simply that likely, with enough time, the tipping point is quickly reached. If not then, there is something present, whether AS or ADHD, etc.

Yes, it took me nearly 6 months to consider this. But it's not hard to see why.

I don't think the general bias towards "you have an ASD" here helps much. Elsewhere on the internet, there is a huge bias towards "you don't have ASD." Now that I'm aware of that (which took this long), it only makes sense to average the two together, and say that I'm BAP or very mild AS.

I do still have quite a few traits. It's just that the ones that aren't explained by being gifted are rather insignificant. By combining the two, it can be very deceiving.

And, let's not forget a complete lack of information on the subject. In my 6 months of being here, I think I've seen no more than one or two threads on the subject of AS and giftedness, other than this one. It never crossed my mind until just over a week ago. As soon as I thought, "well maybe I could just be gifted," it started making much more sense than AS by itself.

I always knew that my brain works differently from that of most people. When I heard the same thing about people with AS, I immediately thought "this is it!" I, too, was extremely biased. I could not view the topic subjectively, because I was too emotionally invested in the idea that I've found what I'm looking for.

My argument was that "yes, I'm gifted, but that doesn't explain my social problems." That was total ignorance on my part. Yes, giftedness explains my social problems. In fact, it does an even better job of explaining it. Notice how a simple lack of empathy and ToM in AS causes a whole difference in the way aspies think? Being gifted is the same way. It doesn't just mean I'm intelligent, it affects nearly every aspect of life, for better or for worse.

In conclusion, I'll restate something I've read in another thread:

Quote:
I tend to think that the difference is a matter of perspective. When one is looking at the good traits, the traits that are helpful or one sees as helpful, one sees gifted. When one is looking at the traits that hinder, one sees Asperger's. An Aserger's diagnosis requires that the traits hinder one, socially, in school, or work-wise. Gifted doesn't have a single agreed on official definition, but the label comes from traits that are seen as pluses.

It does seem to me that, well, why not a label that doesn't have either of those biases. Though, actually, I think Asperger's does, despite the official definition, get used that way. I think many people do see it as covering the whole range of traits.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postx65017-75-0.html

I have always believed that my AS has been far more beneficial to me than the other way around. That's why I'm starting to think that I'm much more gifted than AS, although, for the last time, I still agree that I have *something* in addition to giftedness. Nothing huge, by any means, but something. Just quirks.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 12:01 am

I think a part of the problem is having a need to define ourselves through labels that don't necessarily correspond to something concretely real. I don't think human nature in practice necessarily conforms to the categories psychologists or neurologists create. Unless we discover specific physical genetic traits that correspond to the labels there's always going to be mushyness to it. I understand the yearning to come up with a label that describes you, so that you can experience that epiphanous sense of resolve. Unfortunately I think for some people the search may ultimately prove futile.

I'd include myself in this category in some ways as well. Though was diagnosed PDD-NOS from a young age and clearly have/had autistic tendencies, the autism label comes nowhere close to explaining just how peculiar I seem. I mean the gulf that separates me from many others on this site with the same diagnosis is just as big as the gulf separating me from the average "NT" (whatever that means).

So, I guess what I'm saying is that you might still not be satisfied even if you do manage to get a professional opinion or diagnosis. I'm not saying it isn't worth exploring or thinking about because I can understand the insatiable curiosity to want to know what you are. I'm having the same issue with all the other seemingly untreatable psychological issues that have put me in over my head for the past several years yet can't quite find the source or name it.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 2:09 am

marshall wrote:
I think a part of the problem is having a need to define ourselves through labels that don't necessarily correspond to something concretely real. I don't think human nature in practice necessarily conforms to the categories psychologists or neurologists create. Unless we discover specific physical genetic traits that correspond to the labels there's always going to be mushyness to it. I understand the yearning to come up with a label that describes you, so that you can experience that epiphanous sense of resolve. Unfortunately I think for some people the search may ultimately prove futile.

I'd include myself in this category in some ways as well. Though was diagnosed PDD-NOS from a young age and clearly have/had autistic tendencies, the autism label comes nowhere close to explaining just how peculiar I seem. I mean the gulf that separates me from many others on this site with the same diagnosis is just as big as the gulf separating me from the average "NT" (whatever that means).

So, I guess what I'm saying is that you might still not be satisfied even if you do manage to get a professional opinion or diagnosis. I'm not saying it isn't worth exploring or thinking about because I can understand the insatiable curiosity to want to know what you are. I'm having the same issue with all the other seemingly untreatable psychological issues that have put me in over my head for the past several years yet can't quite find the source or name it.

You are absolutely right. I could get an evaluation from 10 different psychologists and have each yield different results. Until we have a logical and algorithmic way of analyzing AS, there will always be a gray area. I will never be fully satisfied, although I never expected to be.

I definitely wouldn't consider this a waste of time, though. Even if it turns out that I'm not autistic, I've learned a lot about myself, others, and psychology in general. I've enjoyed discussing many things here on WP, and I will continue to do so. Even if I'm not really part of the club, you all here are awesome.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

05 Sep 2011, 11:16 am

SammichEater wrote:
Mdyar wrote:
My point is simply that likely, with enough time, the tipping point is quickly reached. If not then, there is something present, whether AS or ADHD, etc.

I don't think the general bias towards "you have an ASD" here helps much. Elsewhere on the internet, there is a huge bias towards "you don't have ASD."

Lol, I went from "You have an ASD" on here and "You seem AS" on other places online to "You don't have an ASD" on here and "You don't seem AS" elsewhere.

That must mean... I'm a great actor. XD

As I believe, I act. Or, cogito ergo actos. :lol:

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

05 Sep 2011, 11:22 am

SammichEater wrote:
Even if I'm not really part of the club, you all here are awesome.

Indeed, the signal to noise ratio here about psychological topics is much higher than average. NTs really water down the signal to noise ratio with their meaningless banter and humor and other NT-isms (Like social gestures). *looks at above post*

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 12:07 pm

swbluto wrote:
SammichEater wrote:
Even if I'm not really part of the club, you all here are awesome.

Indeed, the signal to noise ratio here about psychological topics is much higher than average. NTs really water down the signal to noise ratio with their meaningless banter and humor and other NT-isms (Like social gestures). *looks at above post*

Yea. I have a sense of humor, but I fail to find all the cliquey banter you see on most forums funny.