Page 3 of 10 [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 5:04 pm

Terry Tuman a Civil War hero right off the boat from Ireland. That's all I know so far.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 5:05 pm

sartresue wrote:
Uber Aspie/Autie topic

It would be interesting and pleasing if we all could research back and find a common Parent! Hey, I can dream!

We are Fa-mi-ly!! ! :mrgreen:

They say everyone in the world is at least a 50th cousin of one another.

earthmonkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Aug 2008, 5:06 pm

I don't know ancestors farther back than grandparents (have never looked it up), but we do have an artist who is locally well known, and I have been in a local paper and interviewed on a radio program, though I'm hardly famous.

--G. K. Chesterton, The Aristocrat

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 5:08 pm

MartyMoose wrote:
Terry Tuman a Civil War hero right off the boat from Ireland. That's all I know so far.

And my great grandfather Martin Duffy he's well known in the Evergreen Park and the area surrounding it on the south side of Chicagoland. There's a Park named after him. He has some awards named after him too.

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 5:42 pm

The only two I know names of are on my mom's side, I have no idea about my dad's side. The most popular one would probably be Ulysses S. Grant, US President. The other is Jonathan Edwards, the preacher.

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3140151/ratings = My Movie Vote History

Hodor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 5:49 pm

Apparently, I am very distantly related to the English Royal Family. I don't know how it works, but one of my great-great-aunts was the illegitimate daughter of one of Queen Victoria's lesser-known cousins. Sadly, there aren't any huge fortunes coming my way. :(

saintetienne wrote:
adam and eve are our parents silly :P

You done stoled mah joke. :o

eyebguileu
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Aug 2008, 6:29 pm

On my mothers side, her father's name is Verdugo and can trace his ancestry back to Spain, where his familiy name was originally Berdugo. The Berdugo family in spain, according this site I read online, can trace itself back to King David. I don't know if it's true, but it would be cool if it was true.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 7:32 pm

Hodor wrote:
Apparently, I am very distantly related to the English Royal Family. I don't know how it works, but one of my great-great-aunts was the illegitimate daughter of one of Queen Victoria's lesser-known cousins. Sadly, there aren't any huge fortunes coming my way. :(

saintetienne wrote:
adam and eve are our parents silly :P

You done stoled mah joke. :o

Out of Africa(of course!) topic

I knew I should never have edited my post. :roll: Read the topic line. I wrote Uber Aspie/Autie. I was ideating that all Aspies/Auties had a common ancestor. :lol:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 7:49 pm

My maternal grandfather served in the British Veterinary Core in World War One but he wasn't famous. I never met him as he died when my mother was 6 years old.

Reyairia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Aug 2008, 8:02 pm

Mariano Escobedo is a famous Mexican hero. Paternal grandmother's side.
On my paternal grandfather's side there's someone that helped in the U.S. war of independence. I forgot his name though.
My paternal grandfather's step-mother, who I was named after, is Elois Jensen and designed the attire in I Love Lucy.

DJRnold
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Aug 2008, 8:35 pm

My grandfather told me that I'm a descendant of Benedict Arnold, but my dad says he doesn't know that for certain. I hope that Americans on WP won't hate on me because I might be related to some guy who switched sides during a war and his original side won anyway...
I worry about that only because when Benedict Arnold is brought up in American movies and TV shows, the characters react with hate and anger. I've only seen a few examples though...

Last edited by DJRnold on 06 Aug 2008, 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2008, 2:38 pm

Gen. Benedict Arnold actually thought he was being patriotic. He had, after all, been trained in the classical European methods of warfare as practiced in the 18th century - and by those rules, there was no way the rebellion could succeed. He thought he was saving the Colonies from the inevitable British retaliation after the rebel forces fell.

Fortunately for those of us who like the US (but unfortunately for the General's reputation), the rebels declined to dress in bright colors, march in rows, and fire in volley...

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2008, 5:29 pm

Guy Wedick and Walt Duley.
Look them up.( And I'm 99% sure walt is an aspie)

The_Cucumber
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2008, 6:18 pm

Captian William Kidd.. maybe.

We know that someone with the last name of Kidd married into the family who was the right age to be captain Kidd's granddaughter. We know who Captain Kidd's children are, but we don't know who his grandchildren are if he even had any. We also know that the daughter of the Kidd who married into the family shares a name with William Kidd's daughter... named for her grandmother or great-aunt perhaps.

It's really speculation at this point. There's some circumstantial evidence at the moment but no hard evidence.

Jennyfoo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Aug 2008, 6:55 pm

I'm ashamed to admit that my most famous ancestor that I know if is Brigham Young.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 3:23 am

On my mom's side of the family there was a Ziegfield Follies dancer and a Circus Strongman. Also, my mom's great grandmother had a sister who was a neighbor of Lizzie Borden at the time that she axed her parents. On my dad's side of the family there was nobody.

My stepdad OTOH, grew up in India, where his parents were Presbyterian missionaries. His brother Tom grew up to be an actor in a bunch of Bollywood films, and also had a role as a doctor in the movie Ghandi. His brother in law was the Minister of Health in Bangladesh, and worked for the UN in the WHO. I believe that he currently is a faculty member of some sort at Harvard. My (now quite former) stepdad is currently a professor at Yale, before that, he went through a series of jobs teaching spoiled rich kids English Lit at private acadamies in Connecticutt, New York, and Tanzania. --He and my mom had a rather messy separation/divorce spanning 1981-83. I have only spoken briefly with him one time since 1985, and that was in 1989.