Any other Aspies who are crap at maths here?

Page 3 of 7 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 11:23 am

ViatorRose wrote:
This is how I approach mathematics and problem solving too. It can be difficult to calculate with numbers alone. Addition is misleading, the temptation can be to answer 22 when asked what is 2 and 2? Or perhaps I am just an idiot.

2 AND 2? Possible answers are:

1 (logical and)
2 (bitwise and)
22 (string concatenation)
4 (addition)

HEY, your answer is there! :lol:

BTW 3 AND 2 would be:

0 or 1(depends on how the process is done)

:lol:

BTW 2 AND 7 would be:

0 or 1(depends on how the process is done)

:lol:

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 11:46 am

DeLoreanDude wrote:
AmberEyes wrote:
DeLoreanDude wrote:
ViatorRose, I never knew that, thanks... Me feels better :)

That's why it's important to show all your working and how you arrived at your answer.
Lots of the marks are for the correct steps for working out.

Don't forget the units and state clearly if you've rounded numbers.

Draw diagrams too if it helps.
Annotate the geometry diagram that you're given (if you're permitted).

Showing your working helps you figure out the problem too.

I've always shown my working: I'm not a living calculator!

The only time when you can't show your working is during mental arithmetic batteries.

Mental arithmetic is something that most people could probably train for: it's a question of knowing the right "short-cut" techniques.

Sorry, but I've found that these little things have helped me get better marks in Maths.

Thanks for the tips!

I hate mental maths, I don't think I'll ever be able to do maths questions in less than 5 seconds, it's mad, how anyone can do it is beyond me!

I did it.
Everyone used to call me an idiot who was incapable of anything.
It is possible. It was really hard work, but it is possible.

Have you taken a trip to WHSmith yet?

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSear ... 61415.html

If you can afford it, buy every relevant GCSE Maths Revision book you can lay your hands on.
That's what I did.

Practice past questions.
Time yourself.

Look at the syllabus for your Exam board and follow it like a Bible.

Merry Xmas!

Disclaimer:
I do not endorse and am not employed by WHSmith, that's just where I went shopping. Other bookstores/revision guides are available including online stores. Revision guides are not a substitute for attending lessons, listening to your teacher and doing coursework. Revision guides supplement in class learning. If you're unsure about anything, ask your teacher!

Last edited by AmberEyes on 30 Nov 2008, 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Touretter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Nov 2008, 11:52 am

I'm dyscalculic as well. I especially do not like the Pythagorean theorem. I think that it resembles religious dogma too much. I mean why should I just accept Pythagora's rules without questian? Same goes for Euclid. I'm the type of guy who needs proofs, not just formulas.

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 12:15 pm

Touretter wrote:
I'm dyscalculic as well. I especially do not like the Pythagorean theorem. I think that it resembles religious dogma too much. I mean why should I just accept Pythagora's rules without questian?

Erm...perhaps because you've just shown me the Mathematical proof of it?

That's why you should accept it. Take the the length of Opposite and Adjacent sides. Square them so that there are visually two squares. Add these areas together and you get the Square of the Hypotenuse. It's sometimes better to think about potentially confusing ideas such as this visually and draw a diagram. That's how I learned it.

Oh Pythagoras was a funny chap alright. Drowning his students when they disagreed with him.
At the mention that there were such things as "irrational numbers" he'd get very angry.
He made them all eat beans too.
He thought that all odd numbers were male and all even numbers were female.
Well he was a Maths teacher...

Touretter wrote:
Same goes for Euclid. I'm the type of guy who needs proofs, not just formulas.

Euclid wrote proofs too. If he hadn't, everyone would still be trying to cross all the bridges at Konigsberg once and only once!

Euclid also wrote "pseudo-mathematical proofs" about God existing as a joke.
You can't prove that God exists using Maths!
That didn't stop everyone (momentarily) believing Euclid though!

Last edited by AmberEyes on 30 Nov 2008, 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

-Vorzac-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Nov 2008, 12:16 pm

Number dyslexic over here.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 12:24 pm

I am awful with anything other than basic computation (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division). I remember division being a misery in the 4th grade....

There are tons of jobs out there that do not require advanced math skills. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that very few jobs will actually require calculus or trig, or probability theory.

I never did understand the logic of the school system making me suffer through those courses - I walked out the door and couldn't have done (or, more importantly, applied) one of those to a "real life" situation if my life had depended on it, the same day! And in the 30+ years I've been working, I've needed nothing more than the basic computation.

30 Nov 2008, 1:24 pm

I can only do basic math. Algebra is hard. Long division was a struggle of course and it took me a while to learn fractions but I think i forgot how to do them because I didn't do the very long. I was just getting the hang of them finally and was loving it and then we moved to Montana and bam there was algebra. I think I missed a gap. I never learned algebra in elementary school so who knows when the kids in Montana learned it. Every school district is different.

Airborne
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Nov 2008, 2:31 pm

I suck SO bad at math its rediculous!! It just doesnt work I cant do it. Ive failed every math class EVER up to 8th grade! When I got into highschool though my 9th grade math teacher was truly an amazing teacher, he explained things very well and could relate to me very well, he explained things with visuals and lots of notes, I got an A- that year.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 4:15 pm

I'm not so bad but I'm not the best. A lot of it is confusing and hard to understand. And in maths I seem to have unique ways of solving problems.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

millie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 4:28 pm

totally crap at maths and great with art, literature, and visuals. In fact, my life improved when i decided my brain was a maths free zone.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 4:43 pm

I was officially diagnosed with NVLD this May, a diagnosis that was long overdue. I have always struggled with math and visual-spatial abilities. The only type of math that I'm really good at is algebra, specifically what one learns in algebra II. I love solving equations, especially equations with imaginary numbers and simultaneous equations. I'm abysmal at geometry and trigonometry, though. I managed to get "B"s in those classes in high school, which is why my learning disorder went undiagnosed for so long. I just memorized what to do for the problems, but I had no understanding of what I was doing, and if the problems changed their wording, I was done for. The same thing happened with standardized tests in school. I was always in the 99th percentile for English/verbal abilities and between the 50th and the 70th percentile for math. Yes, I still met the benchmark requirements for math, but the discrepancy between my math and my verbal abilities should have sent off warning signals to the teachers.
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

millie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 4:48 pm

i can relate - (not to the algebra reference, but) to the discrepancy in abilities.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 8:45 pm

Math was always my weakest subject in school (next to PE). In junior high there were three kinds of math classes: easy, normal and advanced. I was always in the easy class.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 9:03 pm

sign me up...never got to trig, much less calculus...;)

Confused-Fish
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2008, 9:10 am

i can be really good at maths for a short while of time and really enjoy it but then ill suddenly get really restless and bored with it *shrugs*

DeVoTeE
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Dec 2008, 10:09 am

i'm slow at math. the basic math i can do but the complex stuff takes me longer.