Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 10:42 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Ticker wrote:
If an investigator is any good you'd never know they are watching you Spokane Girl. Seriously technology is so advanced these days a person can be watched from great distances and wire tapping a phone is easy. They can also call friends and family and question them and you not know it. And she would be applying for SSDI because she has worked not SSI. SSD or federal disability is more likely to spy. SSI is the same program as welfare so it is easier to get and not watched as closely.

Ick I hate phones so I don't use them or talk on them. I hang up on telemarketers. Can they tap my cell phone? I use that most of the time. I also don't have friends so I doubt they be calling them since they don't know me well or don't know about them. How would my mother know what I'm doing in my personal life? I don't know what she is doing or my dad or my brothers.

They CAN tap your cell phone! Don't you remember those jerks that intercepted Newt Gingriches calls?

24 Mar 2009, 10:45 pm

Who? Never heard of them.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 10:53 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Who? Never heard of them.

At the time, he was the speaker of the house of the U.S.A.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/congress ... _1-14.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newt_Gingrich

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 11:15 pm

Callista wrote:
Yeah, I think part of what made them realize I really can't work was the time I called them after I'd gotten fired from my job at a gas station because the manager said I couldn't do it. I'd been calling them periodically to check on my claim before that; but I was finally accepted not long afterward. Coincidence, maybe; but then again, maybe they were just tired of me bugging them. Anyway, you do have to inform them if your situation changes. Hmm... maybe they got calls like that twice; because I did lose the job before that thanks to executive function problems. I forget if I lost that one before I applied or after. Before, I think.

edit--oh, I lost a third job, too. I forgot that one because it only lasted two weeks. Glad it only lasted that long--the overload would've made me stupid enough to fall into the machinery or something.

I've heard being fired from your job because your disability didn't allow you to do the job the correct way the boss wanted actually helps your case for getting SSDI. It actually proves you can't work because of the disability because you got fired because of it!

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 11:21 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:

They CAN tap your cell phone! Don't you remember those jerks that intercepted Newt Gingriches calls?

Let me just say this. My friend had one of those police scanner radios. She found a frequency on it where she could hear cordless and cellphone conversations and even the speaker thing at a McDonalds drive-in! I listened on that radio with her and eavesdrop on many a phone call so I know cells can be listened to without even wiretapping. We heard so much personal embarrassing stuff about people cheating on their spouse, talking about STDs they had, heard them give out their credit card numbers and tons of embarrassing stuff I wouldn't repeat to anyone. The airwaves are not secure.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 11:26 pm

How long ago was that? I mean, surely they are encrypted nowadays?

I understand that you would hate having your cell phone conversations listened in on. Still, I don't see how they could misinterpret a cell phone conversation so badly that they'd think you were committing fraud. The only thing that'd stand up in court would probably be a flat-out admission to someone you were talking to, or something very close to it. Still doesn't make you very happy about the state of your privacy, of course.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 11:38 pm

Callista wrote:
How long ago was that? I mean, surely they are encrypted nowadays?

I understand that you would hate having your cell phone conversations listened in on. Still, I don't see how they could misinterpret a cell phone conversation so badly that they'd think you were committing fraud. The only thing that'd stand up in court would probably be a flat-out admission to someone you were talking to, or something very close to it. Still doesn't make you very happy about the state of your privacy, of course.

It was in the mid-1990s when we listened. I moved away and so I wasn't able to listen in with her on her radio. I don't think you can encrypt wireless calls. Though on some cordless home phones there is a button that changes frequency so if you push it constantly you might make it a lot harder for the eavesdroppers to find you on another channel.

Well if someone listened and you talked like a normal person, meaning you talked real well and didn't seem autistic they might suspect something if one's disability was based on autism. That's a far stretch but yeah its possible. But most Aspies are so bumbling its obvious something is "wrong" with us. I know at least that I bumble things up all the time not to mention I'm a klutz and also can't do verbal communication very well.

25 Mar 2009, 1:21 am

Why would they want to listen in on our conversation? Are they waiting for us to say we fooled them into having them think we are "disabled" and we faked our disabilities to get their money? :lol:

It be a lie if I said I fooled the social security and faked my disability to get it. I mean they have seen my medical records from my childhood so no way I could fake it and plus they can call my doctor and stuff and also tell them my disability.

Maybe they're waiting for me to say I faked everything from age two :lol: but no way can I fake having something if I had never heard of AS or other disabilities when I was that young. I didn't even know what AS was until I was almost 15. When my mother told me when I was 12, I still didn't know what it truely was. I just assumed it was me being stupid I have troubles in school so I thought I could get rid of it.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2009, 1:47 am

They spy because it costs money to pay millions of people disability especially the SSI ones that never paid into the system. They spy because there are people that scam the system and that is why it has gotten harder for the truly disabled to get disability even after working for years then getting ill or injured. Its not a matter of whether or not a person "faked" having Aspergers its a matter of whether the disorder really causes them to be unable to do work and that is what SS looks at whether someone can do work. They don't dispute illness just like if someone says they have arthritis or MS they don't dispute or disbelieve that they have it because the doctors notes prove it. What they are looking for is whether that illness prevents one from working in some kind of job. And when they spy that is what they are looking for is whether the person is now able to do work.

Whimsi-Cal
Raven
Raven

25 Mar 2009, 7:08 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Why would they want to listen in on our conversation? Are they waiting for us to say we fooled them into having them think we are "disabled" and we faked our disabilities to get their money? :lol:

It be a lie if I said I fooled the social security and faked my disability to get it. I mean they have seen my medical records from my childhood so no way I could fake it and plus they can call my doctor and stuff and also tell them my disability.

Maybe they're waiting for me to say I faked everything from age two :lol: but no way can I fake having something if I had never heard of AS or other disabilities when I was that young. I didn't even know what AS was until I was almost 15. When my mother told me when I was 12, I still didn't know what it truely was. I just assumed it was me being stupid I have troubles in school so I thought I could get rid of it.

LOL. Sigh. Well I guess I'm good there too. My mom usually has to help me make calls so it would just further prove that I'm disabled.

Spokane_Girl wrote:

For me its an absolute last resort. I like having money just as much as the next person. In a lot of jobs my parents just told me to do my best and not worry about what I cannot control. I would go for as long as I absolutely could before getting fired or being forced to quit.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2009, 9:28 pm

Remember that it often takes a year to be accepted; so "absolute last resort" probably means a year of couch-surfing and food pantry pickings...

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2009, 10:16 pm

Ticker wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:

Let me just say this. My friend had one of those police scanner radios. She found a frequency on it where she could hear cordless and cellphone conversations and even the speaker thing at a McDonalds drive-in! I listened on that radio with her and eavesdrop on many a phone call so I know cells can be listened to without even wiretapping. We heard so much personal embarrassing stuff about people cheating on their spouse, talking about STDs they had, heard them give out their credit card numbers and tons of embarrassing stuff I wouldn't repeat to anyone. The airwaves are not secure.

NOTHING is secure!! !! !

EMAIL is MADE to be INsecure! You want to email your friend? HA! You CAN'T! The internet doesn't provide email. What it calls email is merely a relay through trusted systems, and each can store a copy!

Various internet protocols default to insecure.
Secure variants have been cracked but most admins are idiots anyway, and the data stored is insecure.
M/S has opted for cutesy interfaces over security/efficiency, and ignored such concerns 100% until only a few years ago.
ALL Phones can be tapped in some way.
Paper drafts are often stored insecurely.
audio and/or video recorders are ALL over, so even THOSE things aren't secure.

I could just keep going....

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2009, 11:46 pm

Whimsi-Cal wrote:
In a lot of jobs my parents just told me to do my best and not worry about what I cannot control. I would go for as long as I absolutely could before getting fired or being forced to quit.

My mom put me in 'sink or swim' situations too. She thought if I just wanted something badly enough all I had to do was show up. be there, and that would be enough. To her it was all about will power and persistence. If I didn't get a job it was my fault and if I wanted a job badly enough I could get it. Some people seriously believe all you need to do to get a job is march into a place that's hiring and demand it like it's some sort of right and they will give in and meet your demands by hiring you. Doesn't always work that way.
When I did manage to make it past the interview process, keeping the job was an entirely different matter.

Whimsi-Cal
Raven
Raven

26 Mar 2009, 1:05 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Ticker wrote:
If an investigator is any good you'd never know they are watching you Spokane Girl. Seriously technology is so advanced these days a person can be watched from great distances and wire tapping a phone is easy. They can also call friends and family and question them and you not know it. And she would be applying for SSDI because she has worked not SSI. SSD or federal disability is more likely to spy. SSI is the same program as welfare so it is easier to get and not watched as closely.

Ick I hate phones so I don't use them or talk on them. I hang up on telemarketers. Can they tap my cell phone? I use that most of the time. I also don't have friends so I doubt they be calling them since they don't know me well or don't know about them. How would my mother know what I'm doing in my personal life? I don't know what she is doing or my dad or my brothers.

I rarely use the home phone and I share a prepay cell phone. In a given 3 month period I pay use the phone once. Oh and I don't have any friends either.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Whimsi-Cal wrote:
In a lot of jobs my parents just told me to do my best and not worry about what I cannot control. I would go for as long as I absolutely could before getting fired or being forced to quit.

My mom put me in 'sink or swim' situations too. She thought if I just wanted something badly enough all I had to do was show up. be there, and that would be enough. To her it was all about will power and persistence. If I didn't get a job it was my fault and if I wanted a job badly enough I could get it. Some people seriously believe all you need to do to get a job is march into a place that's hiring and demand it like it's some sort of right and they will give in and meet your demands by hiring you. Doesn't always work that way.
When I did manage to make it past the interview process, keeping the job was an entirely different matter.

Well it also didn't help that my mom is Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder and Bipolar. OCPD is different then OCD because they have impossible standards and nothing is ever perfect. Think about the guy in Hell Kitchen and imagine a sometimes depressive irritable manic person and thats my mom. She would scream for me to do the dishes, I wasn't doing it her way so she would scream to get out of her way so she could do them, and then scream that I never do the dishes. She would b***h that I never tell her I love her, and then when I do she screams that I don't really mean it. My cousin was diagnosed as OCD but if he wasn't an Aspie who the hell is? He didn't want the Autistic label so he kept going with his mom to clinicians until one differed in opinion. The first four said HFA or AS and the last said OCD. As far as Aspieness goes my cousin was obsessive. He had only ONE interest and it pretty much WAS his life. I mean he could tell you every single freakin thing about it. OCD, Depression, ADHD, and AS are common on my mom's side. My dad side has a few ppl with ADHD and AS.

Whimsi-Cal
Raven
Raven

26 Mar 2009, 1:18 am

Callista wrote:
Remember that it often takes a year to be accepted; so "absolute last resort" probably means a year of couch-surfing and food pantry pickings...

I've went that long just looking for work before.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2009, 4:48 pm

I'm starting to get really desperate and I'm strongly considering applying SSI/SSDI. I never knew how much it would suck to have hard-core conservatives for parents until they started treating my social anxiety and my AS as a mere "excuse" despite diagnosis by professionals. My dad would hate me for turning to the government for this one (especially during this term) but what choice do I have?

I really need SSI/SSDI benefits to move out of my parents house. It's really crippling me to live here. They still spank and kick me for little things like poor social communication and eye contact despite the fact that I'm 25 years old. I would really like to be able to apply for this without having to depend on the parents. The place that diagnosed me is near my house (and I was diagnosed at 18 ) so I was thinking maybe they would be able to release my records and proof of my diagnosis since I'm legally an adult. My only concern is whether or not they will charge me money to get the records I need to apply for disability.

I strongly believe that I can prove that I can not hold down a stable job. I lost one of my temp jobs because changes at the work place caused me to develop illness and a mental breakdown and I found myself incapable of coming back to work after that. Many employers have given me the bad look for being quiet. I can not multitask things. I am only capable of following simple rules over a small amount of time so when places that are hiring ALWAYS ask me "what is your biggest strength?" or "when have you shown excellent customer service"? I cant answer these questions because when I had a job I couldn’t focus on strength or on impressing the employer. I could only focus on getting one assignment done at a time or by the shift’s end.

Also my parents insist that I find some form of customer service job or I will be required to attend a vocational school in the fall. Do they realize that there is no guarantee that two years and $50,000 of vocational school will prevent me from being in the same post-college mess I am in now? They can not comprehend that this will only be a vicious continuing cycle in which they insist that I can handle a job despite suffering from severe AS and depression that several doctors over the years have failed to properly treat.

Hate me all you want for wanting to do this but my family wont wake up to the reality of P.D.D.s and depressive disorders.