Page 5 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Ems
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2008, 6:05 pm

Yes, I hand-flap sometimes when excited. Nope I don't have trouble with my wrists after that. I get an energy kick just the second I stopped flapping. Feels great :D :D :D

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 6:19 pm

googlewhack wrote:
neptunevsmars wrote:
I have only known that I have AS for the last year, and while I have had many of the symptoms since childhood, the arm-flapping only developed in my 20's. What's anyone else's experience?

I'm interested that you only developed it in your mid-20s. I'm 22 and this year have developed a head wobble/twitch that seems to happen when I think of a bad thing and need to get rid of the thought. I've also started incessantly pulling at my earlobe, which I do all day at work. I'm wondering if these are both forms of 'stimming' (a term I've only just learnt).

I'm like Neptune, I've just recently developed my hand flap. I'm assuming it may be due to my many panic attacks I've experience the last year. I also have tremors in the hands and it relieves some tension. :?

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 10:41 pm

I think it's a bit unusual to develop autistic stims beyond toddlerhood, but my son started toe-walking and twirling his fingers at eye level at age 9. He can control it if reminded often. BTW, he is not diagnosed with AS, just ADHD (and that was only to get special services at school) He's really just an unidentifiable mixed bag of learning disabilties with a little AS thrown in for good measure. :wink:

I get perturbed at the "experts". I had an OT at the school tell me that if she could have observed him as a baby or toddler she would have know "right away" that there was something the matter. She didn't believe me that his issues didn't begin until around age five or six. :roll:

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 10:58 pm

I flap my hands when I get overexcited about something I'm talking about. I also start jumping up and down and giggling sometimes when I'm really excited, while flapping my hands. The other thing I do is "write" words in the air with my fingers, and "type" in the air at times.

I doubt it's a result of hand flapping, but I have horrible tendinitis/carpal tunnel syndrome in both of my wrists. That is from working with my hands a LOT (I'm a very obsessive bead sorter, I make hemp jewelry and embroidery floss jewelry, I draw, I type a lot, etc.), but I don't think my hands flapping around when my tendinitis is starting to die down helps it out much at all, lol.

I'm my own guinea pig.