Another "Poor Me" autism thread,

Brought to you by Autism Speaks. :roll:

samsa
Toucan
Toucan

16 Nov 2010, 2:04 am

wavefreak58 wrote:
Kiseki wrote:
You may not know how much you are valued by other people, even if you think you aren't much to shake a leaf at.

This is so true. I also wonder if the supposedly broken Theory Of Mind among aspies causes a faulty assessment of how much we are valued by others.

Yeah, it could also lead to increased depression and insecurity among aspies. Perceived lack of value can lead to depression and insecurity, and when you can't perceive how much you are valued due to AS...

On topic, no I don't think I've ever thought along those lines. Life may suck sometimes, but it's not worth killing yourself over ;)

daspie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 7:51 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Did you get any correct answers, yet? Tell me when you do.

Are you referring to the discussion on the thread "Decipher that social interaction". If yes, then surely I will tell you :) and I am also going to have a thread on rules for empathy/mind reading.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 8:00 am

no

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 8:12 am

Yep. Having LD, aspergers makes it sad. Normal people without disabilities are more successful and happier.

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 12:52 pm

luvsterriers wrote:
Normal people without disabilities are more successful and happier.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTfWAZVd-Bo[/youtube]

Xeno
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 3:12 pm

Yes, I do about 99.99999999999999999999% of the time.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 12:21 am

There was a time when I would have answered yes. When I spent my life trying to live up to other peoples expectations, I was pretty miserable. But, I gave up on that. I am living life the way I want to live and am enjoying it. Screw them. They can accept me the way I am or they could go away. (They usually choose the latter)

Every day I find something to rejoice in. For example, the other day I saw a midget with a beard so long, it touched the ground. It made me so happy and laugh so hard I almost pee'd my pants. Today I got a beer in a bar that was made out of a single wide trailer home. A single wide!!-- So damn funny. And tommorrow is a new South Park.

No. I am glad I was born. This placed is messed up and it amuses me.

wblastyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2010, 3:13 am

Well this thread is really depressing.

I think it's really sad how many of you wish you weren't born. I wonder if your family and friends feel the same way about you? I doubt they do. You probably mean more to them than you all realise, despite any hurt/anger/frustration you may cause because of your AS.

Look at some of the positives AS can bring. Our ability to focus on our areas of interest, our strong sense of social justice, our ability to see things as they are, not how we want them to be, our ability to see past people's differences, etc. What would the world be like without people like us in it? You and even some NTs may not see it, but I believe we have a place here, and a damn good one at that.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 12:55 pm

I don't wish I was never born - I just wish I was born NT.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 1:48 pm

No. I never wished not to exist or wished to die.

I will cease to exist soon enough. I do not have to wish for it.

ruveyn

AriNecromare1213
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Dec 2010, 2:04 pm

Cash__ wrote:
There was a time when I would have answered yes. When I spent my life trying to live up to other peoples expectations, I was pretty miserable. But, I gave up on that. I am living life the way I want to live and am enjoying it. Screw them. They can accept me the way I am or they could go away. (They usually choose the latter)

Every day I find something to rejoice in. For example, the other day I saw a midget with a beard so long, it touched the ground. It made me so happy and laugh so hard I almost pee'd my pants. Today I got a beer in a bar that was made out of a single wide trailer home. A single wide!!-- So damn funny. And tommorrow is a new South Park.

No. I am glad I was born. This placed is messed up and it amuses me.

I like the way you think, sir.

bobbysands
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Dec 2010, 5:19 am

Before I had any confidence (pre October 2007), I always wished I had never existed.

I am glad to be alive, but not in the way I would like it to be, as my dyslexia and aspergers is a problem to other people, who possess a lack of knowledge and acceptance towards it. I have to accept it, with very little or no help from the state.

I might have lost out on having things other people take for granted, but at the same time, I have my health, wealth, confidence, self-esteem, family and a limited amount of online friends from other places who do have genuine time for me vice versa.

Kaliber
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Dec 2010, 5:36 am

Sometimes it feels like theres no point in carrying on and that theres nothing I'm truly good at, but I did a sports and leisure course at college and I excelled when it came to Physiotherapy stuff and Sports nutrition and I was truly happy at that point in my life, when I'm not doing something and reflect on myself all I see is the bad stuff, how I failed, how I haven't got a girlfriend, y'know, life stuff.

But I remember that I am good at something and I'm actively taking steps in trying to get where I want to be, it's not easy to say ''Just find something you're good at.'' because I've been there, I know what it's like and really, finding you're true calling is what you need to do.

Also, Theres alot to live for, even if you have Autism or Aspergers, the army frown upon my Aspergers and they're probably not going to take me because of it, but thats just life, you have to find something to do otherwise you'll just eat yourself in you're free time.

ApsieGuy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2010, 7:23 am

I swear we make a new thread like this every week.

Are we a bunch of whiners?

Lepidoptera
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Dec 2010, 5:44 pm

If a choice had been possible, and further, if it was possible to have known what lay ahead, I would have passed.