Page 5 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

AnnabelleLee
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Nov 2013, 12:43 pm

I can't say that I have AS because i haven't been diagnosed yet. I just realized that is what I am 3 months ago. It is still sinking in... I am thinking open closet. Telling long time friends has gone well, family dismisses it. Disclosure has negatively affected my work situation. I told a newer friend that I thought was open minded, and now she and the yoga group we were into ignore me. I don't think disclosing is beneficial, most don't understand it at all, and those that will understand already accept us for who we are.

IreneS
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Nov 2013, 1:18 pm

I´ve known that I have Asperger´s for less then 2 years. When I got my diagnosis about 1,5 years ago (I told my mother and my boyfriend after self diagnosing), I told some friends/acquaintances and it didn´t go too well. One didn´t believe in psychiatry so we couldn´t really talk about it, one just responded "you don´t have it :D" (when I told him I already got the diagnosis he didn´t respond) and one got really weird about it (can´t explain how because it was just too weird, maybe because he was french), and then another 2 (girls) that was really sympathetic about it.

I´m thinking about being more open about it but I´m kind of scared of it because of the two times it didn´t go so well. I don´t want to hear that I don´t/ can´t have it when I actually do meet the requirement and have an official diagnosis (if you dismiss psychiatry as a whole I understand, but dismissing just me being diagnosed I take personally) and I don´t want that weird moment to return. I´m also scared of being treated like I´m ret*d or faking it.
Is there someone who´ve found a good way of how to say it and to whom?