Any other Aspies who are crap at maths here?

Page 7 of 7 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2009, 4:07 pm

I'm crappy at maths except for basic maths, I'm OK with that. But algebra, fractions or geometry just make no sense. I have no idea HOW I managed to actually pass maths in my exams, it's a bloody miracle.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2009, 4:23 pm

I went to summer school after I graduated because I needed to take algebra 2 again in order to get into college. Finally, the instructor told me if I showed up and tried that he would pass me. I was completely lost.

LAEMapsie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Aug 2009, 5:01 pm

Im very good at arithmetic and decent at basic algebra.

But Im not that good in advanced algebra and mechanics

SingInSilence
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Aug 2009, 8:21 pm

I am absolutely terrible at math. Partially it's because I don't find it interesting, and partially it's because my brain runs on words and pictures, not numbers and lines.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2009, 1:29 am

I suck at math

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

Demon-Chorus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Aug 2009, 3:14 pm

I'm terrible at head math, written math I can do just fine though.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2009, 4:16 pm

Oh, I can't do math to save my life, it's been a life struggle. I hate it SO MUCH!! !! ! Ever since Middle School, I couldn't do it without support and today, I can't even do Algebra. I can only do basic arthritic at best. The fact that I am so bad at math is going to hurt my chances of getting a college degree someday and that sucks so bad!! !! ! I may get an alternative math class for community college so I can get an associates but at another college, I don't know if that will fly. It sucks that no matter what you major in, you have to do a college level math class. I just don't know how I can ever do one when I can't even pass pre-algebra!! !! !

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2009, 5:11 pm

I was bad in math in elementary school because of my difficulty to remenber tables and to understand how calculate. I was good to resolves the problems though, because it's quite logical. In middle school thinks turn up for the better with pre-algebra, which was quite easy for me to the point of getting perfect scores sometimes (When I was working well :wink:). I don,t know so many peoples complains abou the pythagoran theorem, it's quite simple for me. I do had difficulty though, for the writing demonstrations, like justifing why the angles are the sames or things like that. Anyone else got problems with this?

Jaydog1212
Toucan
Toucan

29 Aug 2009, 7:44 pm

This is kinda of a strange question. I am kinda embarrassed even posting this....
Do you guys have addition memorized or do you basically count for each addition problem?
I have earned decent marks in math....B or better but I suck at mental math. To the point that it's embarrassing.
If no one is looking I still use my fingers. :oops:

If I attempt to do 6+8 in my head...I think 8+8 = 16 and 8-6=2...so 16-2=14....that seems pretty awkward rather than memorizing that 6+8 = 14...I pretty much use that method for every addition problem....

I have all of my multiplication tables memorized because the teacher would humiliate me in front of the class for not knowing them.

It's so embarrassing to me....my mom was like "how can you get an A in calculus but it takes you forever to add things".... :roll:

I need to fix this. If I take the graduate school exam, I will run out of time if I don't get my act together. They don't allow calculators!!

arisu
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Aug 2009, 7:49 pm

Homer_Bob wrote:
Oh, I can't do math to save my life, it's been a life struggle. I hate it SO MUCH!! !! ! Ever since Middle School, I couldn't do it without support and today, I can't even do Algebra. I can only do basic arthritic at best. The fact that I am so bad at math is going to hurt my chances of getting a college degree someday and that sucks so bad!! !! ! I may get an alternative math class for community college so I can get an associates but at another college, I don't know if that will fly. It sucks that no matter what you major in, you have to do a college level math class. I just don't know how I can ever do one when I can't even pass pre-algebra!! !! !

if you're AS diagnosed, you may be able to get out of taking regular math or get out of taking math altogether if you have dyscalculia. i took finite mathematics which is certainly easier than calculus but only because i didn't know i had dyscalculia back then.

SplinterStar
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Aug 2009, 7:58 pm

I got 47-51% in math for years, eventaully getting an amazing 57%, which was enough so I could finally graduate and get a life.

duke666
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Aug 2009, 5:29 pm

I'm good at any math I can visualize, and grew up with cuisenaire rods, so I picture arithmetic visually, and am pretty good at metal calculations and really good at estimates.

My NT partner has to open excel to add 2+2. (maybe I'm exaggerating a little bit) But he can scan spreadsheets and see when things don't look like they add up correctly. It makes no sense. There are so many types of maths, and so many different ways peoples brains work. .

-The Madness of King George

Fintan29
Toucan
Toucan

30 Aug 2009, 8:02 pm

My best subject is Maths, but I seem to suck at Calculus only. It's terrible because my Summer test was basically that and the result was disappointing. Makes me look noobish at Maths...

liriaren
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Aug 2009, 8:32 pm

I'm pretty decent at geometry, but trig and algerbra are a fail. I'm pretty mediocre, but when it comes to problem solving I find that I have a pretty roundabout way of solving, like I go through twice the steps than normal and sometimes I actuallly get the answer right...