Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2009, 7:10 pm

Does anybody know ways to control your obsessions. My obsessions drive me insane cause I obsess over people, I think it would be so much better to obsess over a thing or a subject matter rather then a person. I always find myself over my head with these stupid obsessions and wishing that they would just stop! I always go thru these ridiculous cycles and my obsession for that person does not stop until, I'm away from the person for a long long time, I get majorly hurt, or get another person obsession. I was wondering if there's a better way with controlling this.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2009, 7:26 pm

I'm desperately trying to find out about this as well. I can't control my thoughts when they wander to my obsessions. It's the most frustrating part of having AS. However, I tend to obsess over a particular subject matter, unlike you, but this can also be detrimental because there is other stuff that's important and unrelated to my subject of interest that needs to be done and I cannot bring myself to do it.
I'd really like to know that to do about this, how to deal with this once and for all.
Deep inside, I feel that there's no way to change this without trying to control yourself on your own. It would be great if I could get people to watch over me and stop me every time I start daydreaming or try to get back to my interest. These obsessions clog up my brain and I can't do anything else well anymore...

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

12 Jun 2009, 9:03 pm

I remember having this problem when I was a kid and when I was a teen. Now it has gotten better it seems like. I don't remember what I did for it to get better. Now I tend to get distracted by other things, I actually forget about my own obsessions or whats bothering me lol. I still think about my obsessions but I can get myself away from them by thinking about other things or when I get focused on something else.

LivingOutsideTheBox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jun 2009, 9:17 pm

I tend to deprive myself of things to obsess over:
Be they Online Games, specific foods(Oh cheese pretzels how I shall miss thee), or other things( I have never nor will I ever touch(ed) any addictive chemical.)

To control obsessions, you have to realize the word's wrong.

Don't control your obsession.

Kill it.

Quit the thing that you want so bad. Be it love, a trading card game, or a smoke.

Find something else to fuss over, then quit that too, and before you know it, you'll be frogleaping obsessions so fast you'll be fussing over Laundry>Dishes>Cleaning rooms>Food>TV>Sleep.

---------------------------------------------

(Basically don't spend too much time on one subject)

12 Jun 2009, 10:03 pm

I don't agree with killing our obsessions. Nothing wrong with having them just as long as they don't take over us or impair us.

whipstitches
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jun 2009, 10:22 pm

I have been lucky that two of biggest obsessive interests were actually "well placed". For example, I was totally obsessed with music from about the age of 8 to about the age of 16. I played piano, flute, oboe and was in the "show choir" in high school. It didn't really strike anyone as particularly odd, so no one really knew how obsessed I was except for my family. I would literally wake up early enough in the morning to get ready for school and then still have time to sit and play the piano or flute for about an hour before having to leave for school. If I got to school early I would play the piano in the choir room until it was time to go to my first period class, but some other kids did that sometimes too so no one really thought it was "that" weird. However.... when I would get home from school I would play the piano or flute or oboe until it was time to go to bed. I wasn't really any good at any of it, but I did it all the time!! ! I would even play at night in the dark... really, really softly on the piano if I couldn't sleep. My mom used to say that it was sort of nice because I would play the moonlight sonata in the dark.... that's another story... The next major obsession was really geology. I studied it at university for about 9 years (undergraduate and graduate studies). No one really thought it was all that weird because it was my major, but what people didn't know was that I studied geology after school, too! Again, I am not really all that great at math, so I was never really awesome in my field. I am pathetically average in my ability despite having a nice IQ "number". At the moment, my obsessive interests is Asperger's and High Functioning Autism. However, I have also had these "side obsessions" all along. You know.... UFO's, aliens, ghosts, Bigfoot, lake monsters, gardening.... stuff like that. It is entertaining and easy to pick up and put down again because there really isn't that much new information so there is an end to it at some point. Ya know? I am now at a place where I am starting to become concerned, however. I am a stay at home mom and I spend so much time on my special interest that sometimes I don't get the house work done!! I wish I could control it. It is the first time I have ever felt that it was a real problem to have an obsession. I have no idea how to "manage" the situation. I agree that killing it would be like killing a part of me.......

Xanovaria
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jun 2009, 10:28 pm

You need your obsessions and interests. Without it we'd all go mad.

Try some new subject matter and maybe you'll get hooked. Make it something fun and interactive.

Good luck to you

SteveeVader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jun 2009, 4:39 am

my obsession is no too badI guess computing and gaming, hehe they for me are easy o control I have osessed aboutpeople and like a previus submiter said don't obsess kill it, not the person laughs cruelly. I generaly mill over the thout what beneit does this peron grant me and just throw it away