Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 11:30 am

...if I didn't have Asperger's?

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 11:58 am

I don't think anyone can answer that question. If there was a pill you could take to make you a neurotypical, would it take away your basic personality? No one knows. That's why some people oppose a cure. Also, would splinter-skills and savant qualities be lost? No one knows.

Neurotypicals are often full of gossip and unquestioning adherance to the "herd mentality." There are many reasons to not want to be like an NT.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

Ben_Shapiro
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jun 2009, 12:46 pm

I have a thought on this, imagine you are a circle, in order to stay as a circle (a human) but change it in any way (moving any point around the circumfrence) in order to maintain the circular properties you can only keep one point, in this case it would be your name (it wouldnt change regardless of brain wiring). Then the rest of the points are obliterated and re-plotted. I reason this by saying any small change in you would change your opportunities and experiences and consequently changing you as a person, thus making it impossible to predict what you would be like.

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 3:35 pm

I often wonder this. How much of what I think of as 'me' is due to, or affected by AS, and how much would be the same if I were completely NT? I think that once the question arises in your mind, you can begin to constantly second-guess/analyze yourself.

How I like to describe it is: imagine if you always assumed that you were a cat, and had simply put the fact that you liked to eat carrots, when most cats were uninterested, down to a personal quirk. Then you find out that you are, in fact, a rabbit, that liking carrots is quite common for rabbits, and when you speak to someone who knows a lot about rabbits, they are not in the least surprised that you like carrots. And you ask yourself: "Do I like carrots because I am me, or is it simply the rabbit-wiring in my brain that predisposes me to liking carrots?"

Dilemma
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jun 2009, 3:40 pm

Quote:
I have a thought on this, imagine you are a circle, in order to stay as a circle (a human) but change it in any way (moving any point around the circumfrence) in order to maintain the circular properties you can only keep one point, in this case it would be your name (it wouldnt change regardless of brain wiring). Then the rest of the points are obliterated and re-plotted. I reason this by saying any small change in you would change your opportunities and experiences and consequently changing you as a person, thus making it impossible to predict what you would be like.

Great analogy.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2009, 3:48 pm

Hovis wrote:
I often wonder this. How much of what I think of as 'me' is due to, or affected by AS, and how much would be the same if I were completely NT? I think that once the question arises in your mind, you can begin to constantly second-guess/analyze yourself.

How I like to describe it is: imagine if you always assumed that you were a cat, and had simply put the fact that you liked to eat carrots, when most cats were uninterested, down to a personal quirk. Then you find out that you are, in fact, a rabbit, that liking carrots is quite common for rabbits, and when you speak to someone who knows a lot about rabbits, they are not in the least surprised that you like carrots. And you ask yourself: "Do I like carrots because I am me, or is it simply the rabbit-wiring in my brain that predisposes me to liking carrots?"

Sounds very Ugly Duckling.

Ben_Shapiro
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jun 2009, 3:49 pm

Thanks, it is another interesting thing though, I have tried this with NTs and very few seem to understand what I mean, maybe it is easier to understand when written down, maybe you are particularly clever or open minded, maybe of course you spent more time trying to make sense of it, I think that sometimes NT thoughts and AS thoughts just aren't "meant" to mix.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 8:37 am

I am who I am.

Would I like to be taller or better looking? Probably.

Would I like my mind to be different?

Then I wouldn't be "me", would I?"

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2009, 10:23 am

Id fit in with the NT cliques in my college, but then again, what the heard considers fun, I consider to be B.S.All they do is gossip and look at me funny and whoever else is the "blacksheep" in the heard.I prefer not to be a part of the gossip parties, so I am content on who I am.