Prof. Coid to BBC: massmurder Breivik maybe has autism

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

antonblock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2011, 6:44 am

Many news sites don’t, but BBC News:

Professor Coid says key to the diagnostics would be whether or not Mr Breivik had any close friendships – such as a girlfriend.

“I would be interested in whether in the past he has had normal close friendships, and whether his mental state has deteriorated since then. If he hasn’t had any, then maybe we are talking about someone who is closer to the Unabomber, who was cut off from society.”

[...]

If we are talking about someone who was cut off socially, “this would indicate a more schizoid personality – an highly functioning individual with a form of autism, and an increasing obsession with right-wing ideology

Dear Prof. Jeremy Coid,

I just read your interview in the BBC News and since then, I worry a lot about myself and can’t stop thinking about it. I hope you as an expert can help me deal with it. I highly suspect, that I also got this so called “asperger syndrome”, a form of autism. I didn’t get a diagnosis yet, but I also spent a lot of time alone, in front of the computer in my life, cut off socially. I am probably sort of a “loner”. Just like this mass-murder Anders Bering Breivik. But there is even more: I am approximately the same age as him, and I also didn’t have a girlfriend yet. Just like him. As a kid, I also watched a lot of documentaries about the Knights Templar. He probably did so, too. I am some highly functioning individual with a form of autism. According to an expert, he also may have. I am in fear of my brain, what if I really got this autistic form? Maybe I go mad, too. Please tell me, how likely do you think it is that I also become a mass-murder?

Thanks a lot,

anton

quaker
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 7:12 am

Bookmarking this for later

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 7:28 am

I really don't know if you are winding him up or if you are entirely serious. Maybe it's just me be I can't tell from the way you've written it. :scratch:

antonblock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2011, 8:26 am

nemorosa wrote:
I really don't know if you are winding him up or if you are entirely serious. Maybe it's just me be I can't tell from the way you've written it. :scratch:

winding up :)

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 8:26 am

Could you link to this? I have a hard time finding things myself (because I am lazy!)

But as for saying he has autism... One word:

:wall:

(okay technically that wasn't a word...)

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 9:17 am

according to the ICD-10 criteria:

Quote:
F21 Schizotypal disorder

A disorder characterized by eccentric behaviour and anomalies of thinking and affect which resemble those seen in schizophrenia, though no definite and characteristic schizophrenic anomalies occur at any stage. The symptoms may include a cold or inappropriate affect; anhedonia; odd or eccentric behaviour; a tendency to social withdrawal; paranoid or bizarre ideas not amounting to true delusions; obsessive ruminations; thought disorder and perceptual disturbances; occasional transient quasi-psychotic episodes with intense illusions, auditory or other hallucinations, and delusion-like ideas, usually occurring without external provocation. There is no definite onset and evolution and course are usually those of a personality disorder.

Latent schizophrenic reaction
Schizophrenia:
· borderline
· latent
· prepsychotic
· prodromal
· pseudoneurotic
· pseudopsychopathic
Schizotypal personality disorder

Excludes: Asperger's syndrome ( F84.5 )
schizoid personality disorder ( F60.1 )

http://apps.who.int/classifications/app ... 20.htm+f21

and

Quote:
F60.1 Schizoid personality disorder

Personality disorder characterized by withdrawal from affectional, social and other contacts with preference for fantasy, solitary activities, and introspection. There is a limited capacity to express feelings and to experience pleasure.

Excludes: Asperger's syndrome ( F84.5 )
delusional disorder ( F22.0 )
schizoid disorder of childhood ( F84.5 )
schizophrenia ( F20.- )
schizotypal disorder ( F21 )

http://apps.who.int/classifications/app ... 0.htm+f601

so according to the ICD-10, neither of these can co-exist with asperger's syndrome... meaning... it can't either according the DSM... since the DSM at last is about to align with the ICD...

someone should do their homework. :roll:

guywithAS
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jul 2011, 9:20 am

aspi-rant wrote:

so according to the ICD-10, neither of these can co-exist with asperger's syndrome... meaning... it can't either according the DSM... since the DSM at last is about to align with the ICD...

you sure did. nice post

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 9:32 am

Good f**king gawd. Is every aberrant behavior now a sign of autism?

another_1
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 9:50 am

antonblock wrote:

If we are talking about someone who was cut off socially, “this would indicate a more schizoid personality – an highly functioning individual with a form of autism, and an increasing obsession with right-wing ideology

After locating and reading the whole article : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14275981, I wonder if the Professor was quoted accurately. While it is possible, I don't think that he would make the mistake of saying that schizoid personality is an ASD, which is what the above quote does.

If, instead, it read:
Quote:
If we are talking about someone who was cut off socially, “this would indicate a more schizoid personality OR an highly functioning individual with a form of autism . . .
it would be much more accurate. Changing the "or" to a hypen would likely seem a minor change to an editor, but drastically changes the meaning of the sentence.

Also, before everyone freaks out at the notion that he is proposing an ASD as the likely explanation for his behavior, it should be noted that he lists several possible disorders as more likely. An ASD is one he mentions, but it seems to be presented as an unlikely contender, only included because he can't rule it out. At least, that's the way I read it.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 10:00 am

another_1 wrote:
Also, before everyone freaks out at the notion that he is proposing an ASD as the likely explanation for his behavior, it should be noted that he lists several possible disorders as more likely. An ASD is one he mentions, but it seems to be presented as an unlikely contender, only included because he can't rule it out. At least, that's the way I read it.

Autism aside, I find the entire arm chair diagnosis of the people involved in these events ridiculous. It is just speculation. The media outlets have to fill the void of non-understanding (why did this guy do it?) with something so they round up experts to pontificate.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 1:06 pm

you're confusing psychopathy with autism/asperger. psychopaths don't enteract with others because they are cold and unable to feel. aspies or other autistic people don't enteract because we have a problem with communication.
we may keep to ourselves, but we won't blow up or shoot innocent people. the bastard needs the death panelty for what he's done. he's a low form of life. we also get obsessed with things, but we won't kill other people because of that.
we're eccentric, but know right from wrong. we're not cold. i think we're probably more emotional than NTs, if anything, although we don't know how to show it and sometimes can't understand our own emotions.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 1:12 pm

One does not have to have AS or any other mental conditions to commit terrorism, they just have to be an extremist with what they believe.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 1:21 pm

Show me some proof a medical professional diagnosed him before the crime spree. After the fact diagnoses hold no water with me.

Btw, he didn't actually write some of his manifesto. I read he took it from the Unabomber's manifesto and changed a word or two.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

29 Jul 2011, 1:57 pm

aspi-rant wrote:

Well:

A lot of people are ignoring that because these can coexist and sometimes a dual diagnosis can be helpful.

Also, he didn't say schizoid personality disorder, he said "schizoid personality," which is a personality type. I have a schizoid personality type even though I don't really qualify for schizoid personality disorder. I think the doctor is full of it in trying to link autism to a killing spree, but his terminology was at least correct.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 2:16 pm

Alcoholism + Murder = Murder
Attention Deficit Disorder + Murder = Murder
Asperger's Syndrome + Murder = Murder
Autism + Murder = Murder
Bipolarism + Murder = Murder
Hallucination + Murder = Murder
Hyperactive Disorder + Murder = Murder
Ignorance + Murder = Murder
Insulin Psychopathy + Murder = Murder
Paranoia + Murder = Murder
Philosophy + Murder = Murder
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder + Murder = Murder
Politics + Murder = Murder
Pre-emptive Self-defense + Murder = Murder
Premenstrual Syndrome + Murder = Murder
Religion + Murder = Murder
Revenge + Murder = Murder
Schizophrenia + Murder = Murder
Suspicion + Murder = Murder
Vigilantism + Murder = Murder

There is no excuse.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 2:42 pm

Hmm, I thought that autism was super duper hard to diagnose in adults. Ever notice how easy it is to get a diagnosis once you become a mass murderer?