Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

whemily
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Dec 2017, 9:39 pm

Hi all. I’m new to this site and so I don’t quite know how to work it yet, so I apologize if I do anything wrong.
Anyways, I have been considering that I might be on the spectrum for some time now. As a child I showed many autistic traits (I still do now), and was about to get tested when there was an issue and I couldn’t. Years have passed now and I was never taken to another doctor. I don’t remember how my interest in autism and my suspicion that maybe I was autistic started, but it’s been going for a while now. I have taken countless online tests, and I know those aren’t really accurate or helpful in diagnosis, but they always say that I could have autism and that I should see someone. In September I started seeing a therapist for an unrelated issue, and at our last meeting (yesterday), I brought up the concept of me possibly being autistic. She wanted me to explain why I thought I had autism, and I truly couldn’t find the words for it...I just cried and cried. She asked me some questions and I guess my answers weren’t “autistic enough” for her, because she wasn’t convinced. She told me that he thought I might have an anxiety disorder, but I completely rejected the idea And I still am. I know myself and I just know that I don’t have anxiety. Do I get anxious? Uh, yeah, everyone does at some point. But definitely not enough to be classified as having anxiety. Also, the other autistic traits just lead me to believe that I have autism. We kept talking and she was still unconvinced until I told her about my childhood. When I was little I would often flap my hands vigorously, and learning this changed everything for her...her tone and just overall outlook switched from “I really don’t think you have autism” to “whoa, you might be autistic, better go see a neurologist”. I still don’t feel like that one little detail should have sold her on it, but it did. Anyways, how am I to get a diagnosis? I know that I should see a neurologist, but where do I find them and how much does it cost? If I do end up getting tested, what is the test like? And if I get diagnosed, will my therapist treat me any differently (if I even continue seeing her)? I have a lot of questions about this whole process and your help would be greatly appreciated! Also if it matters I am a 16 year old girl. Thank you for your time. :-)

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Dec 2017, 11:02 am

I'm halfway through the process now. A psychologist I saw once recommended visiting a neurologist, and the way she suggested we go about it was to call the local children's hospital to ask for a referral to one. It was as simple as that. How much it costs will depend on the office and your insurance, as well as where you live, so I can't help there. And I'm not being assessed until after the New Year, so I also can't give you much advice regarding the screening, either, but if you hunt through the archives on this site, you'll probably find some answers, although the process likely differs. From what I've gathered, there are some written tests, an interview with you and another with someone who can objectively describe what you were like as a child, likely a parent or sibling. Those are the basic consistencies.

Your psychologist doesn't seem as averse to the idea that you're autistic as some can be, so I don't think you have to worry too much about that. If anything, it might change her approach to better suit your diagnosis, which will help a great deal, I would imagine. Good luck!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2017, 3:20 pm

Welcome to wrong planet

The answer is it depends. There is wide variation in the understanding of autism among clinicians. You need to find a psychologist who understands how autism presents in teenage girls. As New Jersey has a very high autism prevalence rate you should be able to find a competent clinician although it might take a bit of work.

Your school district might have resources. There are prestigious universities such as Rutgers and Princeton and New York and Philadelphia are within an hour and a half drive of most places in your state.

As a teenager Insurance should cover a lot of the costs of assessment and treatments.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

whemily
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Dec 2017, 12:03 pm

Thanks for the replies!! !!