Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 4:25 pm

Good article. Comments are horrific.

ignisfatuus
Toucan
Toucan

11 Aug 2009, 5:33 pm

The rash of self-diagnosers can assume a large portion of the blame for the perception in those comments. The denizens of deviantART et al., I'm looking at you.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 6:40 pm

ignisfatuus wrote:
The rash of self-diagnosers can assume a large portion of the blame for the perception in those comments. The denizens of deviantART et al., I'm looking at you.

Sure, just blame us. :roll:

Sarafina7
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Aug 2009, 6:44 pm

Article was good. It shows how Aspies aren't getting the help they need.
I also found some comments bad. I wrote a reply to ghany in the comments. It can be seen now.

Aoi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 6:51 pm

Interesting article, and good response from Sarafina7 to the comments claiming that AS is a fake.

I've noticed many times that diseases and disorders are more likely to be dismissed as fake by people with less knowledge of science and medicine, or some personal history that makes them afraid or uncomfortable with medical realities.

Sarafina7
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Aug 2009, 7:10 pm

Aoi wrote:
Interesting article, and good response from Sarafina7 to the comments claiming that AS is a fake.

Thanks! *bows* I found the replies people wrote to the bad comments good too, especially scamps reply to kaylin67. It's what led me to write one. The bad comments made me a angry.

Victor
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Aug 2009, 7:34 pm

I liked the article. I agree with you about some of the comments. Though it bothers me more that my vocal step father is just a less angry version of this. Even without the accusatory and aggressive language it is still a really irritating attitude.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 8:00 pm

I hope more aspies will post some good, thoughtful comments to that, like Sarafina7 did. I'm not diagnosed, and feel like a bit of a fraud saying anything, because my aspie "symptoms" are pretty mild. I hope people will comment, though, and help set the record straight, in a mature, non-confrontational way.

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 8:07 pm

I agree that some of those comments are not good and put there by ignorant people, IMO.

Song-Without-Words
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Aug 2009, 8:38 pm

I liked the article too. I find that some people seem to think that a lot of neurological/ psychological difficulties are fake or rather that the people who have them are faking it.

It seems to be a new kind of bias, rather than the old kind where you were discriminated for having a condition, which still happens, now if you say that you have something or just need a little help in life, people say you're faking. And especially if you're average to above average in intelligence.

I made the mistake of telling an acquantaince of my mother that I was resourceful, just an offhand remark in a conversation, and now she thinks that I'm some kind of fraud and brings up my resourcefulness whenever my mother mentions any life difficulties I'm having. It's almost worse than having people think that everything you do is because of a certain problem or diagnosis.

Have Diagnosis: ADHD, PTSD, and Schizotypal Personality Disorder, Motor Apraxia. Now in process of additional diagnoses-Developmental Disability, unspecified by Neurologist, awaiting Neuro-Psych Testing, and possible seizure disorder.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 9:29 pm

I read the article and the comments. The article was more realistic than the movie Adam sounds. Unless the guy is really good looking, very adaptable or very rich an attractive woman isn't going to magically appear without any complications, like guy friends or a others, to fix the situation.
About the comments, AS does exist, some of the commenters were thinking about people who are milder, able to adapt. These people are the ones who are most likely never going to be destitute or homeless but there really are some people who cannot adapt. The quiet ones who people ostracize or make fun of, calling them a weird loner or worse never really trusting them, talking about them behind their back. They fall into the same situations over and over and people say if they only did this things would change and there would be a great job, money, friends. But the point is never realized...if it were so easy to "just do this" whoever it is wouldn't be experiencing the hardships. They would have done something long ago and got on with their lives.
It seems like there's more sympathy available for the ones who can adapt but what about the ones who are most likely to actually end up homeless?