Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Nightrain
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Aug 2009, 2:00 pm

Does anyone walk on their toes? I've been doing it since I was little and am still doing it to this day. My dad did it only when he was real little. I've been wondering if it's an AS or autism trait. Even though my dad doesn't have either.

studentM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Aug 2009, 2:22 pm

My 15 year old daughter has done this she was a baby.

MommyJones
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 2:25 pm

My son does. I know several other autistic children that do the same thing. I have heard it has something to do with vestibular stimulation, but I'm not sure if that's true.

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 2:26 pm

I heard that isá possible AS thing indeed. I myself did it when I was little. Had to wear some kind of splint (if tha'ts the correct word) to correct it on my left foot. Otherwise my Achilles tendon might've become too short.

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 2:31 pm

I've already noticed men who do it - slightly but plain enough - depending of the shoes they wear and also on their mood.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 2:36 pm

I'm 25 and I still do it.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 2:37 pm

Yes it is appraently an aspie thing along with eating your food one item at a time before moving to the next item.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Brandon-J
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 2:40 pm

my nephew is walking on his toes right now, he's about 3 yrs old.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 2:46 pm

Yep it is. I've seen plenty of auties/aspies who do it. I used to as a kid & sometimes do so when dancing. My mom worked w/ a girl once who was so bad at like 6 that she did cartwheels like that. Poor kid. If you don't try to get it corrected the tendons (achilles & such) can freeze up that way. I think its fairly-very common.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 3:03 pm

Woodpecker wrote:
Yes it is appraently an aspie thing along with eating your food one item at a time before moving to the next item.

I guess I'm a true Aspie, because I do both. :lol: I've toe-walked ever since I learned how to walk. We have home movies of me where I'm clearly toe-walking as a toddler. I never had heard of anyone else doing this until I got diagnosed with AS and learned it was a symptom. That's what really convinced my mother that I had AS.

And I don't know how to do a cartwheel past the initial motion, but if I could, I don't see how else I'd do it besides toe-walking. I toe-walk 100% of the time when I'm barefoot. (When I have shoes on, it depends on what type of shoes they are.) Even if I walk backwards, run, or jump while barefoot, it's always done on my toes.
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

-Vorzac-
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Aug 2009, 3:12 pm

I had equinus gait (sic), as a child, and had surgery lengthen my Achilles' Tendon.

Fat lot of good that did.

exhausted
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 3:20 pm

yep. i'm a toe-walker too. at least at times: not 100%.

Odd_Duck
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Aug 2009, 4:11 pm

I've always done this for fun, but even more often I walk on my heels. The heels are wobblier which seems to suit me better. I had to wear orthopedic shoes for my first 8 - 10 years to correct severe pronation, so that might have inhibited toe walking to some degree. Oh, and I eat one food item at a time too :)

dadsgotas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Aug 2009, 5:27 pm

One food at a time, absolutely. It scares me that I keep finding more things I thought were me, which are actually AS.

No toe-walking, but I can walk silently. I learned to control my tread because when I was growing up, my Dad would turn on me if he knew where I was. It sounds melodramatic, but that's why I learned to move around - in an old, creaky house - without being heard. Sometimes this means toes, but more often - perhaps because I'm naturally clumsy - it's the outside edge of the foot. This wasn't bad for me, anyway, because I'm flat-footed.

thegreatpretender

12 Aug 2009, 5:52 pm

dadsgotas wrote:
No toe-walking, but I can walk silently.

That's interesting. I also do not toe-walk, but always have run differently than the norm (got teased for it too when I was younger :-)), almost in a seating position.
I also obsess about running as silently as possible and with the minimum amount of lift (a bit like cats :-)).

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2009, 6:29 pm

Da toe walker topic

I might have tread on the toes at some point in my wee youth, though not stepped on any. But like dadsgotas, I walked on the outsides of my feet. My odd gait contributed to bunions, hammer toes and displaced toes that overlap one another.

My feet are mutilated. :P Morbid anatomy.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo