People who want to help people with autism!

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

If you're autistic, do you get offended when people want to help you>?
Yes 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
No 28%  28%  [ 10 ]
I just wish they'd mind their own buisness! 25%  25%  [ 9 ]
There is nothing wrong with wanting someone to help you. 36%  36%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 36

mamc1986
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Sep 2009, 4:29 pm

Take this poll and answer honestly!

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2009, 4:33 pm

I know they "mean well", but I just get so fed up with people directing me to 'help' websites about cures and extensive quack therapies.

:roll:

Check out my blog: http://glanceoutthewindow.blogspot.com/

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2009, 4:38 pm

Genuine help with things that I really need help with, no. People trying to save me from myself patronizing kind of help, yes.

29 Sep 2009, 4:52 pm

I don't mind people helping autistic people. I wouldn't be where I am now if my mom didn't help me. I don't see this the same as being intolerant of autism or not accepting them for who they are. It's to help them live a normal life as possible when they are adults because how fair would it be for them if they had to live in group homes or institutions because they were unable to care for themselves or be independent?

But pretty much what Serenity says sums it up what I am saying.

polymathpoolplayer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Sep 2009, 5:21 pm

CleverKitten wrote:
I know they "mean well", but I just get so fed up with people directing me to 'help' websites about cures and extensive quack therapies.

:roll:

Hmm... my experiences is that nobody wants to help - they want to judge me as inferior.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2009, 9:26 pm

Usually I'm not offered any help. But it depends on the type of help in question. ex. OK w/ someone warning people not to grab me b/c of sensory issue, but not OK w/ fake sympathy & offering any form of general help/favors when I don't ask for it (all the time) :roll:

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2009, 9:30 pm

serenity wrote:
Genuine help with things that I really need help with, no. People trying to save me from myself patronizing kind of help, yes.

This.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

mamc1986
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Oct 2009, 7:23 am

I just have mixed feelings about this issue! I'm not even autistic to the point where I'm disabled. People don't usually get that there are different types of autism, and I hate it when people ask me stupid questions like, "Do you know where babies come from?!" Of course I do, I was in regular classes! I actually pay attetion! Gez!

And why don't people try to teach the ones who don't know how to show emotion in the certain kind of way, they shouldn't just help you get a job or anything like that. But to me a great accomplishment would be to find the right person to spend the rest of your life with. Because love is the grandest feeling in the world. And Jenny McCarthy is a bunch of bull-hockey! She thinks that autism is caused by vaccinations, well I don't think that's true at all, considering the fact that the cantaminates have been taken out of vaccinations long ago!

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2009, 8:42 am

I think the poll needs more options, and the last option isn't a literal answer to the poll question at all. I chose it anyway out of knee-jerk reflex, because I dislike the idea that offering help (or pity, as per some other thread) should be spoken about as a bad thing. :lol:

The year is still young.

mysterious_misfit
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Oct 2009, 8:02 pm

I voted no, I wouldn't be offended. Right now I have pretty much no friends, and I am trying so hard to reach out to people. The absolute best help I could have right now is if people will just be friendly and offer a little sympathy for what I'm going through and patience with my slowness/oddness of speech.

eroberts
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Oct 2009, 8:04 pm

Don't really see how help can be a bad thing.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2009, 8:14 pm

I knew only one person that was for sure dxed on the spectrum. He would do things that seemed "rude" and I always wanted to help him and give him tips on how not to stand too close when talking to me, etc... I guess I really am an NT despite my past feelings on the matter, lol.

But I didn't see that guy as a person that really needed as much help as others said he did. His manager said made him sound like he could do hardly anything, when in fact I would say he was smarter than me, lol!

All in all, I don't like people that try to help me when I don't need it, but I sure do like help when I do need it, but of course the other person might now understand when I need or don't need help, so yeah, that's about all my point is I guess.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020