Asperger's without repetitive routines and inflexibility

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

GreenGrrl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Aug 2009, 8:00 am

Is it possible for someone to have AS but not be inflexible with changes and have strict routines and rituals?

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2009, 8:05 am

I'm not a doctor or expert, but I would say NO because those are integral parts of autism.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2009, 8:05 am

Yeah.

Those two things are usually found in the more severe cases to a clinical level in people with AS.

Sure, nearly everyone with AS will be rigid/stubborn to some extent, more so than their peers that is, but it can range from mild to extreme.

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2009, 8:20 am

GreenGrrl wrote:
Is it possible for someone to have AS but not be inflexible with changes and have strict routines and rituals?

yes, they can be less effected by it so the routine changes bother them, but not to the point of meltdown.

bluerose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Aug 2009, 8:41 am

I'm not sure change bothers me at all. Although I have noticed that once I start doing something I always tend to do it the same way. But if I can't then I'll just change the way I do it without it being much of a problem at all. And since I've been officially diagnosed then yes, it is possible.

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2009, 9:19 am

Technically, it is possible to have AS without the routines, if you have at least one other symptom indicating repetitive/stereotyped behavior, eg. obsessive interests, stimming, etc. Also, it is possible tha tyou have learned to respond appropriately, ie. not get irritable when your routine is changed, etc.

WoodenNickel
Toucan
Toucan

23 Aug 2009, 10:05 am

I have been diagnosed with AS and lack nonfunctional routines and rituals. I have functional routines, so that I can remember when to do things or where things are, which is probably more due to my ADHD.

As for inflexibility, I cross cultures very easily. My problems arise within a culture, when the rules change arbitrarily. I don't know if that's considered inflexibility.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2009, 10:52 am

I don't think that it is. I like to go swimming every day. I like to go to my clubhouse, every day. I want to have my cup of afternoon tea, every day. I need to be out with my friends, every second evening. I want to do my crafts, all the time. If I don't visit my dog and my parents and sleep over there for more than two weeks, I don't feel right. I still don't suffer, though.

kingtut3
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2009, 12:16 pm

DSM IV wrote:
(II) Restricted repetitive & stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:
(A) encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
(B) apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
(C) stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g. hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)
(D) persistent preoccupation with parts of objects

That's part of the DSM criteria. I take that to mean that you don't have to have a routine of inflexibility.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2009, 12:19 pm

I have got a routine to some degree but I need a lot of help to plan it out. I do get quite miserable when my routine is changed and I freak out sometimes if it changes at the last minute. On the other hand if someone busts into my room and shouts 'shall we go out for a drive?' I'll pretty much always say yes! I guess that's the Tourettes impulsiveness in me!

starygrrl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2009, 12:32 pm

kingtut3 wrote:
DSM IV wrote:
(II) Restricted repetitive & stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:
(A) encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
(B) apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
(C) stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g. hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)
(D) persistent preoccupation with parts of objects

That's part of the DSM criteria. I take that to mean that you don't have to have a routine of inflexibility.

You only need one. I tend to repeat things verbally and in my writing, completely unaware of the fact I am doing it. I am diagnosed with PDD-NOS, but technically I do meet the criteria of AS. I just lack routines. I also stim. I don't have a preoccupation with parts of objects though. I do have restrictive interests though they fade in and out of intensity.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2009, 12:52 pm

I don't think that not having rigid routines automatically tips a person into the NT zone. I have a lot of AS traits..but my routines are not very rigid...there are large parts of my life that are not structured around a routine...although I do have routines.....Either this is what might make me more PDD-NOS than an aspie....or it has something to do with my ADD-comorbidity, which just makes me more scattered and chaotic in general....or...I dunnow....There are certain things I do every day that I sorta get stuck doing and can't tear myself away from them and I am automatically scheduled in my mind to do those things every day....Thats the best I can say of my routines....

23 Aug 2009, 1:36 pm

Yes I have an aspie friend online who doesn't have those two. He has routines but he doesn't have a cow if they get interrupted or change. I found out even normal people have routines and the difference is they don't get so upset or act like it's the end of the world when it changes.

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2009, 3:12 am

I don't have inflexible routines. I do get overly obsessive over things, have particular "special interests", stim, and all of that other "repetitive" and "obsessive" stuff, though. I do like some amount of predictability though, which i think may be related to why a lot go with strict routines. Heh, maybe if i did more in my life i would have some kind of routine, or maybe the inattentive ADHD prevents me from creating many routines.

GreatCeleryStalk
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2009, 3:23 am

I'd probably classify that as PDD-NOS.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2009, 4:04 am

I think the change thing is sort of like... if an autistic person has an idea of how something is SUPPOSED to be, then that's when it becomes a problem if it changes. But if you don't have an idea about what you think most things are supposed to be like, then why would they bother you, right? Some people have a lot more ideas of what things should be like than others. I have a FEW things that are supposed to be a certain way, but most things I don't care how they are, (even if I tend to do them the same a lot of the time just out of habit and efficiency) so I don't care if they change.