Any other Aspies who are crap at maths here?

Page 1 of 7 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 4:33 am

As Aspies are meant to be good at logic and numbers, most appear to be good at maths. I, however, am NOT.

This is annoying as people expect me to be a genius just because I'm learning C and can do binary (after a long time of multiplication by 2 and addition!) but it just dosent work that way.

Whats even worse is there is a real chance I wont be able to get a decent job without getting at least a c grade maths GCSE.

Anyone else here hate maths? And can you share some strategies you used to get through exams?

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 4:55 am

I am so horrible at maths I have to use my visual skills to work out math problems. At school I would try to solve math problems by drawing them out on paper.

Exile
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Nov 2008, 4:55 am

Yes, terrible at math.

New math ruined me.

Thank you sooooo much mssrs. progressive education. Whatever you do, don't leave well enough alone. If something works well, don't allow it to remain, staying effective and doing loads of people good. It's just too damn obvious that that won't do. Change it to some far-fetched gobledegook crap so that an entire generation of kids can be totally lost when encountering such stuff as algebra, geometry, and calculus. Heaven forbid.

(/rant)

I feel much better now.

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 5:16 am

pensieve wrote:
I am so horrible at maths I have to use my visual skills to work out math problems. At school I would try to solve math problems by drawing them out on paper.

I have started doing this recently and it seems to work, so I'll keep working on it.

Wouldnt work with multiplication, though, but I have a method for that, it just aint quick.

Dogtanian
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Nov 2008, 5:17 am

DeLoreanDude wrote:
As Aspies are meant to be good at logic and numbers, most appear to be good at maths. I, however, am NOT.

This is annoying as people expect me to be a genius just because I'm learning C and can do binary (after a long time of multiplication by 2 and addition!) but it just dosent work that way.

Whats even worse is there is a real chance I wont be able to get a decent job without getting at least a c grade maths GCSE.

Anyone else here hate maths? And can you share some strategies you used to get through exams?
It's true that many jobs specifically require you to have a grade C in maths at GCSE.

But don't let that worry you. Just becuase you might have trouble with maths now and may not be able to get the C it may be that in a couple of years time you may be in a position to come back to it and do it later.

I have my maths degree and have even taught maths for a little while (but not any more) so it may be simply for me to say maths is easy. But I know that some people can have trouble with it. And while you might be expected to know certain topics to get a grade C I would advise making sure you are comfortable with the simpler areas first. Maths builds on what ypu previously have learnt and unless you have a solid understanding of the pre-requisits for a topci you're going to struggle.

So just keep at it and you will get there. If you struggle with one topic look at it and see what bit you might not under stand or ask someone what 'skills' you need to tackle that topic and then take a look at them to see if you understand each of those and if not work on them first.

This will give you the solid foundations to them move on to the more complex areas needed to get your grade C :)

BPalmer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 5:18 am

There are three kinds of people in this world: those who are good with numbers, and those who aren't.

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 5:33 am

BPalmer wrote:
There are three kinds of people in this world: those who are good with numbers, and those who aren't.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who dont :lol:

Dogtanian, thanks for the advice! I shall keep this in mind!

BelindatheNobody
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 5:46 am

*Raises hand*
Math... was never my strong point. I could only do -some- of the "basics". Adding, subtracting. Some multiplication (mostly the the tables of 3, 5, and 10. Anything else I struggle with, and/or can't do it.). Very bad with division, unless it's small even numbers. Long division? Forget that! Really fail at fractions. Fail pretty bad with decimals, and don't even ask me to convert between fractions and decimals. Can sometimes deal with negitive numbers, sometimes can't...

Flavors of: Nobody. Slytherin. Autistic.

kornchild
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 5:53 am

I've never been a maths geek myself. :geek:

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 5:55 am

BelindatheNobody wrote:
*Raises hand*
Math... was never my strong point. I could only do -some- of the "basics". Adding, subtracting. Some multiplication (mostly the the tables of 3, 5, and 10. Anything else I struggle with, and/or can't do it.). Very bad with division, unless it's small even numbers. Long division? Forget that! Really fail at fractions. Fail pretty bad with decimals, and don't even ask me to convert between fractions and decimals. Can sometimes deal with negitive numbers, sometimes can't...

I am the same with multiplication, I can do 2, 5, 10 and thats it, I have a method for the other ones where I do a bunch of adding or subtraction which is easy as long as its with small numbers and I can use my fingers, but like I said its not exactly quick.

BelindatheNobody
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 5:59 am

DeLoreanDude wrote:
BelindatheNobody wrote:
*Raises hand*

I am the same with multiplication, I can do 2, 5, 10 and thats it, I have a method for the other ones where I do a bunch of adding or subtraction which is easy as long as its with small numbers and I can use my fingers, but like I said its not exactly quick.

Lol, I used my fingers a lot when I was in school. That's how I learned the 5 tables, actually. XD

Flavors of: Nobody. Slytherin. Autistic.

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 6:02 am

Yes. I'm crap at math and always have been. Calculators were invented for people like me :D

__biro
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Nov 2008, 6:07 am

I am terrible at maths. I can't solve any problems in my head, no matter how basic and I don't know any times tables. I got my grade C because I had a private tutor for a few months before the exam and memorized as much as I could. I can't remember any of it now though.

Exile
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Nov 2008, 6:08 am

Come to think of it, the only kind of math I ever did well with was Roman numerals.

Figures--a counter-intuitive form that is completely dead.

FieryGatoh
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 6:15 am

I am terrible at Maths.

I socred 16% in my last exam ^_^;;

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 6:45 am

I used to be horrendous at Maths.

After lots of practice and reading, I did improve though.

I still make a lot of careless mistakes and have to recheck over calculations at lest ten times.

I'm good, but not that great at Maths.
I'm better at Applied and Geometry.

A-Level Maths is hard.

Higher/Further Maths from what I've heard requires a special kind of commitment and mental software, none of which I have. Living and breathing Maths 24-7, I don't think I could handle it.

I believe that there are a lot of people who aren't necessarily "bad" at Maths, but just haven't quite figured out how to do Maths yet. There are lots of basic courses available for adult learners.

A good understanding Maths teacher also helps too, plus any supplementary learning done outside class/homework. Engaging and memorable presentation of the material also helps too.

There are a small percentage people with genuine dyscalculia and others with brains that aren't wired for doing Maths. I think it's unfair that these people should be penalised by employers if they genuinely can't do Maths.

Surely, with assistance difficulties could be worked around?